Re: Help - Early FT100 UHF Power Dropping & High VSWR

  • m0cke
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2004
      Hi Eric,

      I did read your post but I couldn't find T3502/3503 on my radio, this
      is a FT100 not the D version, the coil near the edge of the PCB where
      the CAT cable comes in is T3501 on my radio, this has lots of white
      gunk around the base so I cannot see the joints. Is this the correct
      T or am I looking in the wrong place?

      Regards,

      Jim

      --- In FT100@yahoogroups.com, "mredog72" <e-anthony@s...> wrote:
      > --- In FT100@yahoogroups.com, "m0cke" <m0cke@b...> wrote:
      > > Hi all,
      > >
      > > I have an early FT100 which is remote mounted in my car, Recently
      the
      > > UHF power has been dropping right off and the VSWR meter shoots
      up, I
      > > have changed to VHF and all if fine, I have then switched back to
      UHF
      > > and still the problem is there, but then it will work fine for a
      > > while and suddenly it happens again.
      > >
      > > I have tried a different antenna, mount and coax but still I have
      the
      > > same problem.
      > >
      > > So I removed the readio from the car, opened up the case and
      cleaned
      > > around the PA section for VHF/UHF and reflowed all the solder
      joints
      > > on the Driver and PA including the yellow and blue cables (what
      are
      > > these for? I'm thinking matching).
      > >
      > > Anyway I put the radio back into the car after it bench tested OK
      and
      > > after about 2 days the problem has re-appeard.
      > >
      > > Has anyone got any ideas as to my problem?
      > >
      > > Kind Regards,
      > >
      > > Jim
      >
      > Jim,
      >
      > Last weekend I posted something that sounded like your problem.
      > I have cut and pasted my response below. Hope it helps.
      >

      > I just had the same problem a couple weeks ago. I found it to be a
      > cold solder joint on T3502/T3503. For me, the 2M side would work
      with
      > no problems, but 440 would drop in and out. After resoldering
      > it...and doing everything the previous posts stated (cleaning,
      > resoldering PA section), it worked perfectly. Unfortunately for me,
      > in the process of putting the radio back together again, I slipped
      and
      > hit the V/U Power Q and cracked it! It was a horrible sight. So now
      > I have to drop $100 for what would have been an easy fix.
      > Something how you can go from a total high of having conquered the
      > problem to total bummer of seeing that poor power Q cracked!
      > Good luck,
      >
      > Eric
      >
      > PASTE>
    • mredog72
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2004
        Jim,

        I just posted a picture showing where T3502/3503 is on the Ft-100D.
        It should be the same in the Ft-100.
        Go to the Photos section and it should be near the bottom.
        If you can't find it, Email me and I will Email it to you.

        Good Luck,

        Eric

      • m0cke
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2004
          Hi Eric,

          Thanks, I got the photo OK, thats the item I thought it was although
          on my FT100 it's marked as T3501 unless the PCB print is hidden.

          I guess I have to remove to board and solder from the underside?

          As suggested by another Ham, it could also be on the LPF board as his
          fault was a dry joint on a relay.

          I'll take a look at both boards when I have time (Hopefully this
          weekend).

        • Anthony
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 2, 2004
            Hi Group,
            I posted a message about the problem I was having with the SWR-X icon
            appearing on a perfect 50r load on UHF even with the grounding mod
            performed. The way I rectified the problem was to clean the 'UHF tx &
            rx' internal coaxial connectors on the LPF board with fine emery
            paper. Actualy I ended up cleaning all the connectors. And still
            after a few weeks down the track, no more SWR-X icons.
            Anthony.
          • mredog72
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 2, 2004
              Jim,

              Sounds good. Definately keep us posted if it works or not.

              Good luck,

              Eric

            • Doug Fleming
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 6, 2005
                Hi,

                The photo shown is right on the mark. I had the same problem and
                fixed it last night. I was experiencing low power, about 200mw, on
                UHF. I could not see an obvious cold solder joint but reheated the
                4 points on T3501 and that fixed it. I now have 20W on UHF.
                Now to fix the 10/12M oscillations.
                Tnx,
                Doug
                KF4VTT