Re: [FT100] FT100 tuning an ATAS 100

  • Johnny
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2004
      HI Bob,

      One thing you might not have noticed in the manual (I missed it) is the
      fact that IF the radio is confused as to what frequency the antenna was last
      tuned to, it will (when you press the tune button) drop to receive mode,
      run the ATAS down to it shortest length, then drop out of the tune mode.
      This resets the radio and antenna to a default starting point. Then the next
      time you press the tune button the radio knows it has run the antenna down
      and knows which way to move the antenna. It is a little confusing because
      the radio seems to take forever and the antenna seems to be grinding away
      (the book tells you it has a slip clutch and no harm is done). Once it goes
      through all this it will work normally again. If is also hard to tell that
      the radio does go to the receive mode. I was missing that clue when mine
      seemed to go nuts. I had to dig the manual out and read it carefully before
      I understood what was happening.

      Johnny
    • Bob Chamberlain
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2004
        Hi Johnny

        Thanks for the info. I found that one of the antennas, the original one
        repaired by
        Yaesu had a broken wire in it and that fixed that one. The second
        antenna which was
        the newer one goes up and down by use of the PTT and up/down buttons on
        the face plate.
        but still doesn't tune but the tune button. It is like the SWR info is
        not getting back to
        the radio. I;ll keep working on it. Thank you very much for the
        information. I greatly
        appreciate it.

        Bob Chamberlain KE6KGO
        B Chamberlain Consulting
        rchamber@...
        bchamberlainconsulting.com
        909-860-1658

        _____

[...]

        Post message: FT100@yahoogroups.com
        Subscribe: FT100-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        FAQ on WWW: http://www.k0lee.com/ft100faq.html

        We are all a part of this Lets make it as good as possible.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=129gveab7/M=295196.4901138.6050264.3001176/D=gr
        oups/S=1705063108:HM/EXP=1083507444/A=1874383/R=2/id=noscript/SIG=118tuu
        ldn/*http://companion.yahoo.com/?.cpdl=srch>

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=295196.4901138.6050264.3001176/D=group
        s/S=:HM/A=1874383/rand=860829924>

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Bob Chamberlain
        Message 3 of 8 , May 1, 2004
          Hi

          No it does not go up or down with the tune button. The
          indicator just shows in bold but nothing happens. It is like
          the swr info is not getting back to the radio.

          Thanks for the information. I appreciate the help.

          Bob Chamberlain

          Message 4 of 8 , May 2, 2004
            In a message dated 5/2/2004 0:00:40 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
            rchamber@... writes:
            No it does not go up or down with the tune button. The
            indicator just shows in bold but nothing happens. It is like
            the swr info is not getting back to the radio.
            The antenna goes in one direction with the application of 8.4 volts and the
            other direction with the application of 10 volts. The radio makes that
            decision and sends the power through the coax.

            We know the SWR circuit in your radio is working because it works with the
            other antenna

            We know the motor circuit is working in the bad antenna because it responds
            to the up/down buttons on the radio.

            Try it several times an auto tune. After you tune it manually using the
            up/down buttons, the radio goes into an initialization mode where it sends the
            antenna to one extreme and then resets so it knows where the antenna is. It does
            this by sending the up/down signal to the antenna for longer than it should
            and then relying on a slip clutch to protect the motor after the antenna
            reaches the extreme. Maybe you didn't let it run long enough in auto mode to
            complete the reset cycle so it is still in the reset mode merrily spinning away at
            one extreme and waiting for the cycle to finish. It can take more than a
            minute but I don't know the exact specification. Can you hear or feel the motor
            running? I believe this is the most likely candidate.

            If that is not the problem, I suspect the SWR is so high on the antenna, it
            will not go into "search" mode. Try putting an SWR meter on it and watch the
            SWR meter in the rig (Main Function row 7, key A: MTR should be bold) to see
            what happens when you run the antenna up and down manually. If the rig doesn't
            reduce power when you tune manually (I don't know if it does or not) be sure
            to reduce power in the menu so you don't burn up your finals. (Function 21 HF
            TX PO). That will also confirm the SWR meter in the rig works, and the SWR
            information is being read.

            Why would the SWR on the second antenna be so high? If the DC power that
            tells it to go up/down gets to the antenna when you use the manual buttons, then
            there shouldn't be a short or open in the coax or the mount. I assume the
            grounding is the same for both antennas.

            If none of the above answers this mystery, there is a coil in the base of the
            antenna. It is inside the base of the antenna and you have to take the base
            off (screws under the lower rubber boot -- then pull/twist), then remove the
            outer cover to see it (two little phillips screws then unscrew off) . The coil
            is about 3 inches long and wrapped around the nylon post that goes from the
            bottom of the base to the little circuit board. There are two little
            capacitors soldered to it.

            Now, there is also a thin wire that goes through the center of the nylon
            shaft to the circuit board and I suspect this carries the DC to make the antenna
            move but the RF goes through the coil. My coil had a bad solder joint at the
            bottom and had come unattached so it was intermittent. The solder is very high
            temperature stuff so I had to file it off and resolder with something that
            would melt.

            If the coil is properly soldered, could there be a short across this coil or
            one of the capacitors has gone bad or has a bad solder joint? DC would pass
            through and make the antenna move but the coil/capacitor circuit would be all
            wrong at RF. That should show up as bad SWR readings and make it impossible
            for the upper coil to find a match.

            Let us know what you find.