Re: High SWR/Shielding Problem

  • dale brown
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 10, 2000
      TERRY D GILLARD wrote:

      > From: TERRY D GILLARD <n7ufv-7@...>
      >
      > HELLO : NAME HERE IS TERRY D. GILLARD ( N7UFV )
      > THIS IS IN REFERENCE TO THE AM TRANSMIT ON ANY BAND AT ANY FREQENCY
      > MY FT 100 AS WELL AS MY FREIND MARK ( KI7D ) FT 100'S WILL NOT PASS
      > CLEAN AUDIO ON AM. WE HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING , AND I MEAN EVERYTHING.
      > ect. LOW POWER @ 25 WATTS AND BELOW , DSP SET TO EVERY IMAGINABLE
      > CONFIGURATION ,
      > MIKE GAIN FROM 0 TO 100 ( FM OR HF ) , FILTERS SET TO ALL CONCEIVABLE
      > SETTINGS , DIFERENT ANTENNAS . TOLD YA !! " EVERYTHING ".
      > WE HAVE BEEN MESSING W/ THIS FOR ABOUT TWO MONTHS NOW. AND WE ARE AT THE
      > END OF OUR ROPES. ALL AUDIO HEARD FROM THESE RADIOS ON AM AT ANY BAND OR
      > FREQ. IS COMPLETELY UNINTELLIGABLE. NOT JUST A LITTE BIT. IT'S WAY OUT
      > THERE. HAS ANY ONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM ? AND HAVE YOU HAD ANY LUCK
      > GETTING IT TO WORK ?
      > I CALLED YAESU & TALKED TO MIKE KRUEGER , N6MIK , ( HEAD OF TECH SUPPORT
      > ) AND HE TOLD ME THAT HE WOULD TRY TO MAKE SOME OF THE RADIOS THAT HE HAD
      > IN THE SERVICE DEPT ACT UP. WELL AFTER A WEEK OF WAITING , I CALLED HIM
      > BACK , AND HE SAID THAT NONE OF THE RADIOS THAT HE HAD ACCESS TO WOULD
      > ACT UP. HE TOLD ME TO MAKE SURE THE POWER WAS AT 25 WATTS OR LOWER, AND
      > ALL SHOULD WORK FINE..
      > WELL OBVIOUSLY SINCE THIS IS BEING SENT OUT TO ALL OF YOU , ALL IS NOT
      > FINE!
      > OK. NUF SAID !
      > HAVE A GREAT NEW YEAR , AND 73 TERRY

      > We are all a part of this Lets make it as good as possible.
      Terry....have you tried using the ferrite donut under the antenna, with
      about 4 turns of RG-58 coax before connecting the antenna. I think alot
      of the distorted audio comes from RF getting into the microphone
      circuit. Also, use a small ferrite donut in the mic cord.....Dale KC2PZ
    • Andrew C. Wells
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 10, 2000
        I have to agree with you Terry, both myself and a friend have had the same
        problems trying to get AM to work properly. We have tried in vehicle and
        out, grounded the heck out of it, plenty of current, all the settings. no
        luck. I would also be glad to hear a solution.

        Andrew VE3WEL

        > HELLO : NAME HERE IS TERRY D. GILLARD ( N7UFV )
        > THIS IS IN REFERENCE TO THE AM TRANSMIT ON ANY BAND AT ANY FREQENCY
        > MY FT 100 AS WELL AS MY FREIND MARK ( KI7D ) FT 100'S WILL NOT PASS
        > CLEAN AUDIO ON AM. WE HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING , AND I MEAN EVERYTHING.
        > ect. LOW POWER @ 25 WATTS AND BELOW , DSP SET TO EVERY IMAGINABLE
        > CONFIGURATION ,
        > MIKE GAIN FROM 0 TO 100 ( FM OR HF ) , FILTERS SET TO ALL CONCEIVABLE
        > SETTINGS , DIFERENT ANTENNAS . TOLD YA !! " EVERYTHING ".
        > WE HAVE BEEN MESSING W/ THIS FOR ABOUT TWO MONTHS NOW. AND WE ARE AT THE
        > END OF OUR ROPES. ALL AUDIO HEARD FROM THESE RADIOS ON AM AT ANY BAND OR
        > FREQ. IS COMPLETELY UNINTELLIGABLE. NOT JUST A LITTE BIT. IT'S WAY OUT
        > THERE. HAS ANY ONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM ? AND HAVE YOU HAD ANY LUCK
        > GETTING IT TO WORK ?
        > I CALLED YAESU & TALKED TO MIKE KRUEGER , N6MIK , ( HEAD OF TECH SUPPORT
        > ) AND HE TOLD ME THAT HE WOULD TRY TO MAKE SOME OF THE RADIOS THAT HE HAD
        > IN THE SERVICE DEPT ACT UP. WELL AFTER A WEEK OF WAITING , I CALLED HIM
        > BACK , AND HE SAID THAT NONE OF THE RADIOS THAT HE HAD ACCESS TO WOULD
        > ACT UP. HE TOLD ME TO MAKE SURE THE POWER WAS AT 25 WATTS OR LOWER, AND
        > ALL SHOULD WORK FINE..
        > WELL OBVIOUSLY SINCE THIS IS BEING SENT OUT TO ALL OF YOU , ALL IS NOT
        > FINE!
        > OK. NUF SAID !
        > HAVE A GREAT NEW YEAR , AND 73 TERRY

        > We are all a part of this Lets make it as good as possible.
        Terry....have you tried using the ferrite donut under the antenna, with
        about 4 turns of RG-58 coax before connecting the antenna. I think alot
        of the distorted audio comes from RF getting into the microphone
        circuit. Also, use a small ferrite donut in the mic cord.....Dale KC2PZ

        Sign up for eLerts at:

        We are all a part of this Lets make it as good as possible.
      • Charles Scott
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 10, 2000
          Guys:
          Unless you have some problem with your radios that I haven't seen, the
          AM mode should work fine. You do need to run about 25w and bring the mic
          level down a bit. The other thing to keep in mind is that you may not be
          able to give each other true reports of the signal quality unless you are
          some distance apart. That's because the front end needs to remain linear
          when listening to AM and too much signal will cause problems. Also check
          to see if you have the noise blanker off, which may not like strong AM
          signals.

          Chuck

        • W1PO@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 10, 2000
            Hi Folks,
            Just a quick word on this SWR Icon issue. I am not at all discouraged over this SWR issue with the radio. In fact having owned several Yaesu radios in the past, I am a true supporter of the product. My FT100, when it works correctly, is one amazing little package. I am just blown away with the performance. I would just like it to perform 100% of the time. The SWR icon issue is a pain in the butt. My SWR is less than 1.3 to 1 on all bands and the ground is perfect. When I can take the radio to the bench and perform a true 50 ohm dummy load test, and the Icon apperars then, I become a little concerned when it returns NTF. Some FT100's definately have an RF deck problem. My intelligence has been insulted by Yaesu. After 40 years of RF experience, 30 of them commercially, I have the ability to detect a problem. There may be a simple cure, but I haven't found it using toroids, matching devices, etc. I am sure they will find a fix sometime, but now if you have the bug, and you find!
            a fix, be sure and let us all know including Yaesu. For now a simple "We know there's a problem we're working on it." would be more comforting than "Well, that's interesting, we can't seem to duplicae it here.".

            Dan, W1PO
          • M Johnson
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 10, 2000
              Hi Rob,

              I have had my FT-100 in the truck sense last May and have had a
              great time with it. I had some of the SWR problems for a bit, but
              found my ground strap to the antenna base had come loose. I
              corrected that and it worked fine.

              I don't see how Yeasu can be held responsible for a bad installation.

              Have others who have had the high SWR problem used a dummy load at
              the radio and then the base of the antenna to eliminate the antenna
              system?

              73
              Mark
              AB0HJ

              >From: "Rob Boux" <boux@...>
              >Date: 01/09/2000 22:33:53PM
              >To: FT100@onelist.com
              >Subject: Re: [FT100] High SWR/Shielding Problem
              >
              >From: "Rob Boux" <boux@...>
              >
              >When is Jeff Lynn and Yeasu going to come clean and ADMIT that the
              >FT-100 is a big Little DUD!!! They haven't got a clue as to where
              >to start and try and fix all the problems with the radio. As far as
              >I'm concerned its the WORST radio I ever had x2! They should
              >re-call the whole lot and give us our money back. A used FT-100 is
              >worth-less and nobody wants to give you anything for it because
              >EVERYBODY knows its a LEMON! Look at the used gear on the web and
              >I'm sure you'll agree... even new 100's dropped to u
              >
              >One pissed very pissed ham!

            • Jeff Uchitjil
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 10, 2000
                Yeasu had a problem with this in the early radios. Mine can from Dayton and
                had the problem. They told me there was a fix and to send it in. I waited a
                while as I don't do much AM work. The HF output went to nothing a few weeks
                later. I called Yeasu again and they told me this was also a problem with
                the way some of the early models finals were biased. This made sense to me,
                and I do a lot of work on radios myself. As it was under warranty I sent it
                off to them 2nd day air. They received it fixed both problems and updated to
                current specs. I received the unit back 5 days later via 2nd day air and all
                has been fine since. The AM modulation works great when carrier is below 25
                watts, mic gain to 35 and processor on.

                I love the radio and I have run a 706 MKII to compare it to. As far as I'm
                concerned it runs circles around the ICOM overall. (The CW paddle feature
                built into the mic up down buttons of the ICOM would be nice to have.) The
                DSP makes this radio a real treat to run mobile, especially on CW where mine
                spends a lot of time. Kenwood is so far behind with the TS-50/60 combo its
                not worth the compare.

                Jeff
                KB9KLD

                > HELLO : NAME HERE IS TERRY D. GILLARD ( N7UFV )
                > THIS IS IN REFERENCE TO THE AM TRANSMIT ON ANY BAND AT ANY FREQENCY
                > MY FT 100 AS WELL AS MY FREIND MARK ( KI7D ) FT 100'S WILL NOT PASS
                > CLEAN AUDIO ON AM. WE HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING , AND I MEAN EVERYTHING.
                > ect. LOW POWER @ 25 WATTS AND BELOW , DSP SET TO EVERY IMAGINABLE
                > CONFIGURATION ,
                > MIKE GAIN FROM 0 TO 100 ( FM OR HF ) , FILTERS SET TO ALL CONCEIVABLE
                > SETTINGS , DIFERENT ANTENNAS . TOLD YA !! " EVERYTHING ".
                > WE HAVE BEEN MESSING W/ THIS FOR ABOUT TWO MONTHS NOW. AND WE ARE AT THE
                > END OF OUR ROPES. ALL AUDIO HEARD FROM THESE RADIOS ON AM AT ANY BAND OR
                > FREQ. IS COMPLETELY UNINTELLIGABLE. NOT JUST A LITTE BIT. IT'S WAY OUT
                > THERE. HAS ANY ONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM ? AND HAVE YOU HAD ANY LUCK
                > GETTING IT TO WORK ?
                > I CALLED YAESU & TALKED TO MIKE KRUEGER , N6MIK , ( HEAD OF TECH SUPPORT
                > ) AND HE TOLD ME THAT HE WOULD TRY TO MAKE SOME OF THE RADIOS THAT HE HAD
                > IN THE SERVICE DEPT ACT UP. WELL AFTER A WEEK OF WAITING , I CALLED HIM
                > BACK , AND HE SAID THAT NONE OF THE RADIOS THAT HE HAD ACCESS TO WOULD
                > ACT UP. HE TOLD ME TO MAKE SURE THE POWER WAS AT 25 WATTS OR LOWER, AND
                > ALL SHOULD WORK FINE..
                > WELL OBVIOUSLY SINCE THIS IS BEING SENT OUT TO ALL OF YOU , ALL IS NOT
                > FINE!
                > OK. NUF SAID !
                > HAVE A GREAT NEW YEAR , AND 73 TERRY

                > We are all a part of this Lets make it as good as possible.

              • TERRY D GILLARD