Mods & Fixes

  • n5tns
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2004
      What would be the "best" route to take to get my FT-100 "updated"
      and "fixed/modified"? It exhibits all the usual swr low output
      problems that others have described.

      Is Yeasu the best source for the fixes?

      Thanks!

      HAMS - They won't see us 'til we're gone!
    • G3ZSU
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2004
        I've never returned my FT100 to Yaesu in the UK, but I had a nasty little
        problem with my FT1000MP a year or so ago. I fully documented the problem
        read it and re-read it to ensure there was no ambiguity and I was giving all
        the information I could. Sent the box off to them and it was returned to me
        fixed within 7 days with (I think) a 30 minute labor charge. It was superb
        service.

        So I would use Yaesu as a first choice. We also have different warranty
        laws in the UK, so if they do a repair, they have to warrranty that repair
        for 12 months. It also means that if the repair fails they have to pay all
        carriage costs for the repair.

        Having said all that, if your radio is showing "stock" problems is it
        possible to have your local HRO or whatever store have a look first? Quite
        a few ham stores in the UK have technichians on site. I don't know if the
        same applies in the US.

        What would be the "best" route to take to get my FT-100 "updated"
        and "fixed/modified"? It exhibits all the usual swr low output
        problems that others have described.

        Is Yeasu the best source for the fixes?

        Thanks!

        We are all a part of this Lets make it as good as possible.

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Dick Thompson
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2004
          Have you given any thought to sending it in to the Yaesu Service Center?

          73,

          Dick
          WB0DUL
          Grid: DM78ov
          What would be the "best" route to take to get my FT-100 "updated"
          and "fixed/modified"? It exhibits all the usual swr low output
          problems that others have described.

          Is Yeasu the best source for the fixes?

          Thanks!

          We are all a part of this Lets make it as good as possible.

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Roger J. Buffington
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 1, 2004
            That's what he's asking and the question is a good one. I am in a similar situation and my real question is how much dough will I have to put into an early-model FT100 to make it a serviceable rig? Too much and I'd rather just get an 857 and write the FT100 off as a bad job.

            de Roger, W6VZV
            w6vzv@...

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 1, 2004
              Its certainly worth servicing the rig, you will be very happy
              with it after its done. It doesnt hurt to call Yaesu to see what it
              would run you to have the fan,swr mods done in one shot. If its
              reasonable, then go ahead and have em do the am filter as well since
              they will be in there anyway. If its under $200 with the filter, I
              would consider that very reasonable and worth your effort, you never
              know, they may give you a special rate on the servicing since they
              are two very well known and documented problems.. Once its back, do
              the mic mod and enjoy the rig.. If you want to attempt any of the
              above, do it yourself docs are available in the files section.
              Regards.. Richy N2ZD

              --- In FT100@yahoogroups.com, "Roger J. Buffington"
              <barrister54@s...> wrote:
              > That's what he's asking and the question is a good one. I am in a
              similar situation and my real question is how much dough will I have
              to put into an early-model FT100 to make it a serviceable rig? Too
              much and I'd rather just get an 857 and write the FT100 off as a bad
              job.

              > de Roger, W6VZV
              > w6vzv@a...
            • Turner Morgan
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 1, 2004
                I'm not sure I'd want to trade my '100D for an '857.

                The '100D is a radio worth getting repaired. If you're just going
                to write it off, send it to me. I could use another one in the
                other Jeep.

                Mine went to the Yaesu Service Center, but it was still in
                warranty. Call Yeasu to see if you can get an estimate on the
                cost. For me, the radio was gone exactly 20 days, from removal from
                the Jeep to reinstallation into the Jeep. I have had no trouble
                from the radio in over two years of use; been working the world as a
                mobile.

                I have the AM filter but have not had the gumption to make the
                installation attempt.

                Whatever your decision, good luck and good hammin'.

                Turner - WA4MQY