R6035.

  • Neville Mattick
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 1, 2002
      Was rummaging around in the rear of front panel on FT100 and noticed
      that R6035 was missing, whilst R6036 in place.

      Anyone know the reason why one missing, band settings are correct for VK
      [and I don't want them anywhere else anyway!!].

      TIA!

      73 de Neville VK2QF, [ex: 4W/VK2QF].
      6m DXCC #289.
      URL http://winsoft.net.au/~vk2qf
      N.E. & L.A. Mattick.
      Hargraves N.S.W. 2850
      AUSTRALIA
      UKSMG #1809 GL:QF47PF Loc: 149;18;30 EAST - 32;46;48 SOUTH
    • backhoefade
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1, 2002
        Don't worry - I think that resistor simply isn't equipped. I seem to
        remember it missing in mine too. If the rig is operating properly
        you're fine. As they say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
        73 N6AF Chas

        --- In FT100@y..., Neville Mattick <vk2qf@w...> wrote:
        > Was rummaging around in the rear of front panel on FT100 and
        noticed
        > that R6035 was missing, whilst R6036 in place.
        >
        > Anyone know the reason why one missing, band settings are correct
        for VK
        > [and I don't want them anywhere else anyway!!].
        >
        > TIA!
        >
        > 73 de Neville VK2QF, [ex: 4W/VK2QF].
        > 6m DXCC #289.
        > URL http://winsoft.net.au/~vk2qf
        -----------
        > N.E. & L.A. Mattick.
        > Hargraves N.S.W. 2850
        > AUSTRALIA
        > UKSMG #1809 GL:QF47PF Loc: 149;18;30 EAST - 32;46;48 SOUTH
        -----------
      • robashman6178
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 1, 2002
          Hi Chas....
          just a thought on your comment....and I quote!! "If it aint broke,
          don't fix it" so that leads me to my point...(you will like this!!)
          if you get good 599+ without doing a mic mod.....why do it?, Like you
          said "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
          73's Rob M3RJA
          --- In FT100@y..., "backhoefade" <cgarner@h...> wrote:
          > Don't worry - I think that resistor simply isn't equipped. I seem
          > remember it missing in mine too. If the rig is operating properly
          > you're fine. As they say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
          > 73 N6AF Chas
          >
          > --- In FT100@y..., Neville Mattick <vk2qf@w...> wrote:
          > > Was rummaging around in the rear of front panel on FT100 and
          > noticed
          > > that R6035 was missing, whilst R6036 in place.
          > >
          > > Anyone know the reason why one missing, band settings are correct
          > for VK
          > > [and I don't want them anywhere else anyway!!].
          > >
          > > TIA!
          > >
          > > 73 de Neville VK2QF, [ex: 4W/VK2QF].
          > > 6m DXCC #289.
          > > URL http://winsoft.net.au/~vk2qf
          > -----------
          > > N.E. & L.A. Mattick.
          > > Hargraves N.S.W. 2850
          > > AUSTRALIA
          > > UKSMG #1809 GL:QF47PF Loc: 149;18;30 EAST - 32;46;48 SOUTH
          > -----------
        • backhoefade
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 1, 2002
            It's up to you. True, the transmit audio isn't "broken", but you
            will have better results with the plastic baffle removed and the 3rd
            hole in the front opened up. Try it; you'll like it.
            N6AF Chas

            --- In FT100@y..., "robashman6178" <m3rja@b...> wrote:
            > Hi Chas....
            > just a thought on your comment....and I quote!! "If it aint broke,
            > don't fix it" so that leads me to my point...(you will like this!!)
            > if you get good 599+ without doing a mic mod.....why do it?, Like
            you
            > said "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
            > 73's Rob M3RJA
            > --- In FT100@y..., "backhoefade" <cgarner@h...> wrote:
            > > Don't worry - I think that resistor simply isn't equipped. I
            seem
            > > remember it missing in mine too. If the rig is operating
            properly
            > > you're fine. As they say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
            > > 73 N6AF Chas
            > >
            > > --- In FT100@y..., Neville Mattick <vk2qf@w...> wrote:
            > > > Was rummaging around in the rear of front panel on FT100 and
            > > noticed
            > > > that R6035 was missing, whilst R6036 in place.
            > > >
            > > > Anyone know the reason why one missing, band settings are
            correct
            > > for VK
            > > > [and I don't want them anywhere else anyway!!].
            > > >
            > > > TIA!
            > > >
            > > > 73 de Neville VK2QF, [ex: 4W/VK2QF].
            > > > 6m DXCC #289.
            > > > URL http://winsoft.net.au/~vk2qf
            > --
            > > -----------
            > > > N.E. & L.A. Mattick.
            > > > Hargraves N.S.W. 2850
            > > > AUSTRALIA
            > > > UKSMG #1809 GL:QF47PF Loc: 149;18;30 EAST - 32;46;48 SOUTH
            > --
            > > -----------
          • robashman6178
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 1, 2002
              Well Chas
              on 10watts with an atas100, mobile 599+ with a contact in Italy (from
              UK)I think I will leave it as it is until maybe the warranty has run
              out. UNLESS I get reports about "muffled" audio then maybe I will
              consider it but in the meen time I wont fix it if it aint broke. the
              fan mod however is a diffrent kettle of fish and will be done when I
              get the time.
              73's
              M3RJA Rob

            • Peter Gibson
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 1, 2002
                Hi Chas,
                what are these mods on the FT100D for the fan and mic,
                I have a 100d and have had audio reports to say " like you are talking through water"
                Any Help Please
                Regards Peter M3ADZ
                It's up to you. True, the transmit audio isn't "broken", but you
                will have better results with the plastic baffle removed and the 3rd
                hole in the front opened up. Try it; you'll like it.
                N6AF Chas

                --- In FT100@y..., "robashman6178" <m3rja@b...> wrote:
                > Hi Chas....
                > just a thought on your comment....and I quote!! "If it aint broke,
                > don't fix it" so that leads me to my point...(you will like this!!)
                > if you get good 599+ without doing a mic mod.....why do it?, Like
                you
                > said "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
                > 73's Rob M3RJA
                > --- In FT100@y..., "backhoefade" <cgarner@h...> wrote:
                > > Don't worry - I think that resistor simply isn't equipped. I
                seem
                > > remember it missing in mine too. If the rig is operating
                properly
                > > you're fine. As they say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
                > > 73 N6AF Chas
                > >
                > > --- In FT100@y..., Neville Mattick <vk2qf@w...> wrote:
                > > > Was rummaging around in the rear of front panel on FT100 and
                > > noticed
                > > > that R6035 was missing, whilst R6036 in place.
                > > >
                > > > Anyone know the reason why one missing, band settings are
                correct
                > > for VK
                > > > [and I don't want them anywhere else anyway!!].
                > > >
                > > > TIA!
                > > >
                > > > 73 de Neville VK2QF, [ex: 4W/VK2QF].
                > > > 6m DXCC #289.
                > > > URL http://winsoft.net.au/~vk2qf
                > --
                > > -----------
                > > > N.E. & L.A. Mattick.
                > > > Hargraves N.S.W. 2850
                > > > AUSTRALIA
                > > > UKSMG #1809 GL:QF47PF Loc: 149;18;30 EAST - 32;46;48 SOUTH
                > --
                > > -----------

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                Post message: FT100@yahoogroups.com
                Subscribe: FT100-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                FAQ on WWW: http://www.k0lee.com/ft100faq.html

                We are all a part of this Lets make it as good as possible.

              • backhoefade
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 1, 2002
                  Sounds like a plan.

                  Regarding antennas, I'm considering picking up an ATAS-100. So far
                  I've been using single band Hustler whips on my car. Looks like your
                  ATAS is working out well.
                  73 N6AF Chas

                  --- In FT100@y..., "robashman6178" <m3rja@b...> wrote:
                  > Well Chas
                  > on 10watts with an atas100, mobile 599+ with a contact in Italy
                  (from
                  > UK)I think I will leave it as it is until maybe the warranty has
                  run
                  > out. UNLESS I get reports about "muffled" audio then maybe I will
                  > consider it but in the meen time I wont fix it if it aint broke.
                  the
                  > fan mod however is a diffrent kettle of fish and will be done when
                  > get the time.
                  > 73's
                  > M3RJA Rob
                • backhoefade
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 1, 2002
                    You are the next potential satisfied customer. "Talking through
                    water" is a new description I haven't heard before.

                    The mic mod is described at http://www.mods.dk with the appropriate
                    credit given. I didn't do the fan mod which uses a resistor; I sent
                    my rig to Yaesu to have the "factory fan mod" done which consists of
                    adding a temperature sensitive switch to the fan circuitry. So if
                    you want to try the resistor approach at home I'm not the one to ask.
                    It's been described several times here. Someone can point you to the
                    information.
                    73 N6AF Chas

                    Service.

                  • Peter Gibson
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 1, 2002
                      Hi Chas,
                      Thank you for the quick reply, Have you heard anything about the low volume on the radio.
                      Mine is very quite in fact difficult to hear unless the speaker is very close to me
                      73's Peter M3ADZ
                      You are the next potential satisfied customer. "Talking through
                      water" is a new description I haven't heard before.

                      The mic mod is described at http://www.mods.dk with the appropriate
                      credit given. I didn't do the fan mod which uses a resistor; I sent
                      my rig to Yaesu to have the "factory fan mod" done which consists of
                      adding a temperature sensitive switch to the fan circuitry. So if
                      you want to try the resistor approach at home I'm not the one to ask.
                      It's been described several times here. Someone can point you to the
                      information.
                      73 N6AF Chas

                      --- In FT100@y..., "Peter Gibson" <peterm3adz@b...> wrote:
                      > Hi Chas,
                      > what are these mods on the FT100D for the fan and mic,
                      > I have a 100d and have had audio reports to say " like you are
                      talking through water"
                      > Any Help Please
                      > Regards Peter M3ADZ

                    • Schachter, Abe
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 1, 2002
                        Me too. I have a trunk mounted FT-100 with a speaker located on the column
                        between the front and rear driver side doors (i.e. right behind my left
                        ear). Even with the speaker within about six inches of my ear I always have
                        to raise the volume control to the top and still it is just barely
                        acceptable.

                        I am considering installing a little audio amplifier on the external speaker
                        line but am reluctant to get into a situation where I have to remember to
                        shut two power switches (one for the radio and one for the external audio
                        amplifier) when I shut the rig. I'd rather not have to deal with a second
                        power switch but by the same token I do not want to find myself with a dead
                        battery.

                        Suggestions anybody?

                        73
                        Abe N3BBF

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 1, 2002
                          I am happy with the Radio Shack Amplified Speaker. It's for various
                          mobile radio installations. Feed it 12V DC and some audio and it blasts
                          it out at a fixed amplification.

                          After 30 seconds or so of no audio energy from the source, it turns
                          itself off. Play some more audio and it turns back on.

                          Part No: 21-541
                          Price is around $25 US

                          Lance KJ5O

                          Schachter, Abe wrote:
                          > Me too. I have a trunk mounted FT-100 with a speaker located on the column
                          > between the front and rear driver side doors (i.e. right behind my left
                          > ear). Even with the speaker within about six inches of my ear I always have
                          > to raise the volume control to the top and still it is just barely
                          > acceptable.
                          >
                          > I am considering installing a little audio amplifier on the external speaker
                          > line but am reluctant to get into a situation where I have to remember to
                          > shut two power switches (one for the radio and one for the external audio
                          > amplifier) when I shut the rig. I'd rather not have to deal with a second
                          > power switch but by the same token I do not want to find myself with a dead
                          > battery.
                          >
                          > Suggestions anybody?
                          >
                          > 73
                          > Abe N3BBF

                          J. Lance Cotton, KJ5O
                          http://map.findu.com/kj5o-14
                          joecotton@...
                        • backhoefade
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 1, 2002
                            Low speaker volume isn't a good sign. Something is not right. You
                            should have very strong, clear receive audio, especially with the "D"
                            model that has the bigger speaker. How is the audio quality with
                            headphones?

                          • Paul Manuel
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 2, 2002
                              > just a thought on your comment....and I quote!! "If it aint broke,
                              > don't fix it" so that leads me to my point...(you will like this!!)
                              > if you get good 599+ without doing a mic mod.....why do it?, Like you
                              > said "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
                              Don't do the mod just to please someone else, that is correct. Listen to
                              your audio on another receiver. Mine was muddy and muffled. Although no
                              one complained, I did not like it. I can bet everyone will like it better
                              after the mod.
                              When you get to work every day, do you ask your coworkers if your clothes
                              are OK? Do you ask them if they like your car? Do you ask your neighbors
                              if they like the tower in your yard?
                              LISTEN TO YOUR AUDIO. Mine lacked brightness and crispness. I don't like
                              "muddy." If you like it as-is, and everyone can pretty much understand
                              you, then yes, be happy.
                              73,
                              Paul K4PDM

                              http://sbc.yahoo.com