New or Stubborn owner?

  • ft100guy
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 28, 2002
      A few word of advice to those who are new or those who refuse to
      believe the truth.

      This rig must have the swr mod and fan mod performed BEFORE you
      have trouble. Dont make calls to Yaesu as it has been established
      here that they are less than "forthright" on the topic. The first
      thing you must do is make sure your rig contains the swr mod, open
      the top cover and look for it (hint: match your rig to the one shown
      in the FT100 archives).

      Mod the fan ground with the resistor, you can post here all you
      want and say that "mine is fine" etc. To those who know, you are
      simply being foolish and needless to say inserting your foot in your
      pie hole. Too many people have been blowing finals and suffering with
      Hi SWR falsing to stop now and listen to your opinion.

      Listen to whats been established here, we all want these rigs to
      sound nice and work as expected. Forget what you think and do what
      the radio requires to be right. In many cases Yaesu will perform
      these mods or some variation of the above to these rigs when under
      warranty or in some cases even after..

      Many of us here have spent a few nights with mucho cups of coffee
      trying to iron out the bugs. Wanna set your new rig up right then
      make sure you install this thing right.

      Firstly, begin by going thru the archives here to see whats what.
      Alot can be learned and pitfalls avoided if you read and download
      some of the stuff there. Also check out Lee's site to gain
      understanding about the care and feeding of FT100's. Check below for
      some basic practices when installing this radio, below are mobile
      examples, just follow these quidelines for starters and use it for
      base installations also.

      1. Fan Mod (Yaesu will perform this using a thermal switch, I like
      the resistor better.)
      2. SWR mod (Yaesu will do this as well.) Expect and 8 week delay
      though... :-(
      3. Two grounds from the sides of the radio to the vehicle chassis or
      metal body, floor etc..
      4. One ground near the base of the antenna and mount
      5. Set your menus as posted here as these will offer up the best
      settings for starters.
      6. A few loops of coax will also tame swr variances so this is a good
      idea too.
      7. In the mobile, get a good external speaker (many like the
      clearspeech dsp for use with the FT100.)
      8. Do the Mic mod, getting complaints that the audio is muffled? Then
      poke out the third hole and remove the baffle. No ill effects in the
      mobile have been noted regarding noise so >>> get crackin.
      9. Run your leads direct to the battery and make sure you swap out
      the crappy Yaesu fuse holders for some good ones.
      10. Make sure you run this rig with no less than 12.5 volts as it is
      known that the rig is unhappy below that point. Run the vehicle if
      need be.
      11. ATAS owners, use a good dual band antenna for UHF and VHF and
      avoid duplexors to use the ATAS for those bands. Its good in a pinch
      but the ATAS stinks on those bands and is much better suited for HF
      operation and its alright on 6m.

      It sounds like alot to do but its imperative in any installation to
      have good grounding and an impeccable setup for things to work right.
      If you feel this is too much to do then mobile operating may not be
      for you. Modding and tinkering is what this is all about. This rig
      requires some attention to detail when installing but its well worth
      your time and effort.

      Yes there are duds out there and there are radios which refuse to
      work as expected. Most are pretty good with a few of the mods done to
      them. Most work swell "outta da box" but expect swr problems as the
      sticky copper tape takes a dump. In addition prolonged use of the UHF
      and VHF bands without the fan mod will cause problems in a few areas
      (HF and UHF/VHF RX degradation and overheated voltage regulator for
      starters,) it may work swell now but smoke is in your future.

      Good Luck with your rigs.. Regards.. Richy N2ZD
    • n9cv
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 2, 2002
        Well Said. This post should be saved and sent to all new FT-100
        owners or new members of this board. This post covers about 90% of
        all questions / answers posted here. GOOD JOB.

        It is amazing how many of the "mine is fine" people come back later
        and post "mine was fine". I know of two local hams that won't
        post "mine was fine" because they are too embarrassed to admit they
        had a problem, or that they bought a less than perfect radio.

        It only took about a month for my FT-100D to go from "mine is fine"
        to "mine was fine". After a three month vacation in Cerritos for
        mods and fixing the heat damaged parts "mine is fine" again.

        This is preventive maintenance like changing the oil in your car,
        except you only have to do it ONCE.

        DO THE MODS. They are simple and in inexpensive for the "mine is
        fine group. They become very expensive in money and time for
        the "mine was fine" group.

        What is the saying? "You can lead a horse to water but you can not
        make him drink." You have been warned thanks to the knowledge and
        experience of many hams on this forum.

        Ken - N9CV

        --- In FT100@y..., "ft100guy" <ss409ss@a...> wrote:
        > A few word of advice to those who are new or those who refuse to
        > believe the truth.
        >
        > This rig must have the swr mod and fan mod performed BEFORE you
        > have trouble. Dont make calls to Yaesu as it has been established
        > here that they are less than "forthright" on the topic. The first
        > thing you must do is make sure your rig contains the swr mod, open
        > the top cover and look for it (hint: match your rig to the one
        shown
        > in the FT100 archives).
        >
        > Richy N2ZD
      • Eric van de Weyer
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 2, 2002
          Well there is the old saying that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of
          cure.

          I only got my 100D about 3 months ago and have had no problem with it
          HOWEVER, having read many of the posts here I opened mine up to see what, if
          any, mods had been done.

          It had the copper tape but that was all. I then proceeded to install both
          the grounding mod and the fan mod (I decided on a 100 ohm resistor) myself.
          I can now rest in peace knowing that the mods have been done so I am less
          lkely to have problems in the future.

          I don't believe that it will void the warranty but then, even if it does, I
          have always done ALL my own repairs. It is usually far quicker than taking
          it to a dealer to get done. I also then know exactly what has been done to
          the radio and how it was done. A much better solution, in my oppinion.

          To me, this is what Amateur Radio is all about.

          73....Eric VK2KUR.
          Well Said. This post should be saved and sent to all new FT-100
          owners or new members of this board. This post covers about 90% of
          all questions / answers posted here. GOOD JOB.

          It is amazing how many of the "mine is fine" people come back later
          and post "mine was fine". I know of two local hams that won't
          post "mine was fine" because they are too embarrassed to admit they
          had a problem, or that they bought a less than perfect radio.

          It only took about a month for my FT-100D to go from "mine is fine"
          to "mine was fine". After a three month vacation in Cerritos for
          mods and fixing the heat damaged parts "mine is fine" again.

          This is preventive maintenance like changing the oil in your car,
          except you only have to do it ONCE.

          DO THE MODS. They are simple and in inexpensive for the "mine is
          fine group. They become very expensive in money and time for
          the "mine was fine" group.

          What is the saying? "You can lead a horse to water but you can not
          make him drink." You have been warned thanks to the knowledge and
          experience of many hams on this forum.

          Ken - N9CV

          --- In FT100@y..., "ft100guy" <ss409ss@a...> wrote:
          > A few word of advice to those who are new or those who refuse to
          > believe the truth.
          >
          > This rig must have the swr mod and fan mod performed BEFORE you
          > have trouble. Dont make calls to Yaesu as it has been established
          > here that they are less than "forthright" on the topic. The first
          > thing you must do is make sure your rig contains the swr mod, open
          > the top cover and look for it (hint: match your rig to the one
          shown
          > in the FT100 archives).
          >
          > Richy N2ZD

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Post message: FT100@yahoogroups.com
          Subscribe: FT100-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
          FAQ on WWW: http://www.k0lee.com/ft100faq.html

          We are all a part of this Lets make it as good as possible.

        • jwfaulkner
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 5, 2002
            --- In FT100@y..., "ft100guy" <ss409ss@a...> wrote:
            > This rig must have the swr mod and fan mod performed BEFORE you
            > have trouble. Dont make calls to Yaesu as it has been established
            > here that they are less than "forthright" on the topic.
            > (HF and UHF/VHF RX degradation and overheated voltage regulator for
            > starters,) it may work swell now but smoke is in your future.

            Why the hell should anyone buy this rig and then have to either ship
            it back to Yaesu for the "mods" or do it them themselves. This is
            "nuts"!

            JWF
          • w1pa
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 6, 2002
              --- In FT100@y..., "jwfaulkner" <jwfaulkner@y...> wrote:
              > --- In FT100@y..., "ft100guy" <ss409ss@a...> wrote:
              > > This rig must have the swr mod and fan mod performed BEFORE you
              > > have trouble. Dont make calls to Yaesu as it has been established
              > > here that they are less than "forthright" on the topic.
              > > (HF and UHF/VHF RX degradation and overheated voltage regulator
              for
              > > starters,) it may work swell now but smoke is in your future.
              >
              > Why the hell should anyone buy this rig and then have to either ship
              > it back to Yaesu for the "mods" or do it them themselves. This is
              > "nuts"!
              >
              > JWF

              A quick run through the Yahoo 706 list shows...
              -a drill hole remove baffle mic mod for the HM103 mike (tiny
              audio)... sound familiar?
              -cronic issues with a power spike when you think you are running
              low power (damage an amp?)
              -issues with low SSB output, and a resistor mod from ICOM
              -cronic birdie on 10m
              -cronic complaints about the noise blanker
              -cronic complaints about a swishing noise when tuning
              -cronic intermod on VHF
              -a bunch of people with oscilation problems on 17m, fixed by
              better internal grounding, bending metal fingers and tightening
              screws (sound familiar)?
              -sporadic reliability, rig failure issues (inoperable with remote
              cable, rig won't shut off, thermal shutdown, finals smoking, 2m
              receive gone)
              -an argument with Icom that their mic schematic doesn't match what
              is actually in the mic...

              Yep. Yaesu had some quality issues with this rig in the begining. I
              was aware of all of these before I bought my 100D in November. I,
              however,
              ...was going to put _something_ HF in my car.
              ...owned a 706 and didn't like it
              ...didn't want to bolt my Omni VI to the glove compartment door

              Regardless of which side you fall, there are risks, and there will be
              those that run into problems. The 100D isn't perfect, neither is the
              706. For me, I liked the 100D. All I know is, I'm having a ball...
              Starting to wish my commute was longer than 45 minutes.

              In the log this week, all mobile: H7DX, 4Z5IW, KH7R, TI9M (two
              bands), 7X4AN, UK9AA, 9K2OD, OA4SS... I'll get BX5AA in the log if
              it kills me.

              Enjoy,

              Bill
              W1PA
            • Eric van de Weyer
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 7, 2002
                <snip>
                -an argument with Icom that their mic schematic doesn't match what
                is actually in the mic...

                Well, at least we don't have this one with the FT100.... there is NO mic
                schematic to be incorrect!
                Had to pull the mic appart and trace it out myself.

                If anyone wants it I can do a diag of it.

                73....Eric VK2KUR.

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                Post message: FT100@yahoogroups.com
                Subscribe: FT100-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                FAQ on WWW: http://www.k0lee.com/ft100faq.html

                We are all a part of this Lets make it as good as possible.

              • backhoefade
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 7, 2002
                  Take a look at the 3rd order intercept points and adjacent channel
                  blocking characteristics of the FT-100D and the ICOM 706 in the QST
                  product reviews at the ARRL website and you will see the huge
                  difference in strong signal handling ability of the Yaesu over the
                  ICOM. On one of the bands the difference in the 3rd order intercept
                  is nearly 25 dB. That means that for the same input signal level to
                  each rig the 3rd order IMD will be 2x25 = 50 dB down further on the
                  Yaesu as compared to the ICOM. This was achieved in part by
                  sacrificing a bit of MDS (Minimum Discernible Signal) in the Yaesu,
                  i.e. slightly higher noise figure. But on the HF bands the noise
                  floor of your receiving system is generally dominated by external
                  noise sources and various interferers rather than the kTB of the
                  receiver itself (i.e. -173.98 dBm / Hz + 10log(receiver effective
                  noise bandwidth) + noise figure. So the trade-off of a slightly
                  higher noise figure in the FT-100D for a huge improvement in front
                  end overload performance is appropriate. The Yaesu guys were
                  thinking about the practical application of the rig while the ICOM
                  guys' marching orders were apparently just "design for MDS", which
                  was a fundamental mistake. The FT-100D rates as a "competition
                  grade" receiver which will survive a typical Field Day "battle-field
                  spectral" environment. The ICOM will generate gobs of cross-
                  modulation. ICOM - you blew it.

                  Also, the ICOM DSP lacks the essential variable bandpass filter
                  capability of the FT-100D which is especially helpful for CW
                  afficionados. It is excellent. How someone would put DSP into a
                  receiver and leave out variable BPF mode is beyond comprehension.
                  That's just plain dumb.

                  Do I have to mention the noise blanker in the FT-100D? I don't think
                  so. Do I have to mention the fact that you can receive well above
                  480 MHz which lets you monitor crucial public service activities
                  during a disaster? I don't think so.

                  Do I have to mention that the rig has 3 basic flaws that need
                  correction in order to enjoy the great rig. Yes. They are:
                  1) Internal grounding to eliminate spurious oscillation.
                  2) Fan mod
                  3) Mic mod

                  Once you've cleaned up the rough edges then this diamond of a rig
                  really shines. So, unfortunately, if you want the superior performer
                  then you have to make those mods. If you want a literally second-
                  rate radio in terms of performance then you're reading the wrong
                  bulletin board.

                  Chas N6AF

                  Electrical Engineer and multi US Patent holder
                  All rights reserved.

                  --- In FT100@y..., "jwfaulkner" <jwfaulkner@y...> wrote:
                  > --- In FT100@y..., "ft100guy" <ss409ss@a...> wrote:
                  > > This rig must have the swr mod and fan mod performed BEFORE you
                  > > have trouble. Dont make calls to Yaesu as it has been established
                  > > here that they are less than "forthright" on the topic.
                  > > (HF and UHF/VHF RX degradation and overheated voltage regulator
                  for
                  > > starters,) it may work swell now but smoke is in your future.
                  >
                  > Why the hell should anyone buy this rig and then have to either ship
                  > it back to Yaesu for the "mods" or do it them themselves. This is
                  > "nuts"!
                  >
                  > JWF
                • backhoefade
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 7, 2002
                    Same mobile FT-100D problem here. My commute is only about 15
                    minutes. And my wife wonders why I sit in my car in the driveway for
                    a few minutes sometimes after I arrive home in the evening. Boy,
                    I'll tell 'ya, some people just don't have thier priorities straight!
                    N6AF Chas

                    For me, I liked the 100D. All I know is, I'm having a ball...
                    > Starting to wish my commute was longer than 45 minutes.
                    >
                    > In the log this week, all mobile: H7DX, 4Z5IW, KH7R, TI9M (two
                    > bands), 7X4AN, UK9AA, 9K2OD, OA4SS... I'll get BX5AA in the log
                    if
                    > it kills me.
                    >
                    > Enjoy,
                    >
                    > Bill
                    > W1PA
                  • ad6dw
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 14, 2002
> [...]
                      > for you. Modding and tinkering is what this is all about. This rig
                      > requires some attention to detail when installing but its well
                      worth
                      > your time and effort.
                      >
                      > Yes there are duds out there and there are radios which refuse
                      > work as expected. Most are pretty good with a few of the mods done
                      > them. Most work swell "outta da box" but expect swr problems as
                      the
                      > sticky copper tape takes a dump. In addition prolonged use of the
                      UHF
                      > and VHF bands without the fan mod will cause problems in a few
                      areas
                      > (HF and UHF/VHF RX degradation and overheated voltage regulator
                      for
                      > starters,) it may work swell now but smoke is in your future.
                      >
                      > Good Luck with your rigs.. Regards.. Richy N2ZD

                      Very good post but, where do I find these mods at ??? Im a blond hi
                      hi