Re: Front Panel Cable Questions

  • Walsh, Tom
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 1999
      Mic plugs into RF deck, not front panel. Works good if you mount front
      panel along top of windshield. YSK-100 includes a "nest" for the control
      head which is very adequate if you rarely remove the control head from the
      nest. An additional option may be available that is better. The cable is
      "quite long" by my standards and these are based on a full size extended cab
      3/4T P/U and Suburban perspective on cable lengths. Probably adequate to
      trunk mount the rig in anything other than a school-bus. The rig is a
      beauty in nearly all respects. There are a few foibles. I've heard lots of
      people who prefer the FT100 to the IC706MKII. I've not heard anyone who
      prefered the ICOM. My own experience is that the FT100 is the functional
      superset of the FT847 for mobile use. Repetitive unsolicited compliments on
      the audio quality on SSB are the norm (for both rigs). Sure is fun to have
      HF in the car!
      -Tom Walsh
      KB7EFZ

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 1999
        I was not aware the remote kits were out yet. Where did you get yours?

      • Thomas M. Schaefer
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 1999
          I answered my own question -- both HRO and AES have them for $79.

          It includes the extension cable, the mounting bracket for the faceplate, and
          a microphone extension.

          Tom NY4I

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1, 1999
            HRO PDX - 598-0555. Works great.

            I was not aware the remote kits were out yet. Where did you get yours?

            Tom
            >Mic plugs into RF deck, not front panel. Works good if you mount front
            >panel along top of windshield. YSK-100 includes a "nest" for the control
            >head which is very adequate if you rarely remove the control head from the
            >nest. An additional option may be available that is better. The cable is
            >"quite long" by my standards and these are based on a full size extended
            cab
            >3/4T P/U and Suburban perspective on cable lengths. Probably adequate to
            >trunk mount the rig in anything other than a school-bus. The rig is a
            >beauty in nearly all respects. There are a few foibles. I've heard lots
            of
            >people who prefer the FT100 to the IC706MKII. I've not heard anyone who
            >prefered the ICOM. My own experience is that the FT100 is the functional
            >superset of the FT847 for mobile use. Repetitive unsolicited compliments
            on
            >the audio quality on SSB are the norm (for both rigs). Sure is fun to have
            >HF in the car!
            >-Tom Walsh
            >KB7EFZ

            If you like orange and blue, then you will love our new web site!
            http://www.onelist.com
            Onelist: Fostering connections and information exchange
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 1, 1999
              And the external speaker extension cable, although I have a large collection
              of unused ones of those, since I rarely use external speakers (large
              vehicles,
              usually don't put the rig somewhere I cannot hear it).

              >Mic plugs into RF deck, not front panel. Works good if you mount front
              >panel along top of windshield. YSK-100 includes a "nest" for the control
              >head which is very adequate if you rarely remove the control head from the
              >nest. An additional option may be available that is better. The cable is
              >"quite long" by my standards and these are based on a full size extended
              cab
              >3/4T P/U and Suburban perspective on cable lengths. Probably adequate to
              >trunk mount the rig in anything other than a school-bus. The rig is a
              >beauty in nearly all respects. There are a few foibles. I've heard lots
              of
              >people who prefer the FT100 to the IC706MKII. I've not heard anyone who
              >prefered the ICOM. My own experience is that the FT100 is the functional
              >superset of the FT847 for mobile use. Repetitive unsolicited compliments
              on
              >the audio quality on SSB are the norm (for both rigs). Sure is fun to have
              >HF in the car!
              >-Tom Walsh
              >KB7EFZ

            • dank