Much iota

  • anne6932001
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 7, 2005
> [...]
      >
      >Butterflies taste with their feet.
      >
      >Cats have over one hundred vocal sounds. Dogs only have about 10.
      >
      >"Dreamt" is the only English word that ends in the letters "mt".
      >
      >February 1865 is the only month in recorded history not to have a
      full moon.

      >In the last 4,000 years, no new animals have been domesticated.
      >
      >If the population of China walked past you, in single file, the line
      would never
      >end because of the rate of reproduction.
      >
      >If you are an average American, in your whole life, you will spend
      an average of
      >6 months waiting at red lights.
      >
      >It's impossible to sneeze with your eyes open.
      >
      >Leonardo Da Vinci invented the scissors.
      >
      >Maine is the only state whose name is just one syllable.
      >
      >No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver,
      or purple.

      >On a Canadian two dollar bill, the flag flying over the Parliament
      building is
      >an American flag.
      >
      >Our eyes are always the same size from birth, but our nose and ears
      never stop
      >growing.
      >
      >Peanuts are one of the ingredients of dynamite..
      >
      >Rubber bands last longer when refrigerated.
      >
      >"Stewardesses" is the longest word typed with only the left hand
      and "lollipop"
      >with your right.
      >
      >The average person's left hand does 56% of the typing.
      >
      >The cruise liner, QE2, moves only six inches for each gallon of
      diesel that it
      >burns.
      >
      >The microwave was invented after a researcher walked by a radar tube
      and a
      >chocolate bar melted in his pocket.
      >
      >The sentence: "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" uses
      every letter of
      >the alphabet.
      >
      >The winter of 1932 was so cold that Niagara Falls froze completely
      solid.

      >The words 'racecar,' 'kayak' and 'level' are the same whether they
      are read left
      >to right or right to left (palindromes).
      >
      >There are 293 ways to make change for a dollar.
      >
      >There are more chickens than people in the world.
      >
      >There are only four words in the English language which end
      in "dous":
      >tremendous, horrendous, stupendous, and hazardous
      >
      >There are two words in the English language that have all five
      vowels in
      >order: "abstemious" and "facetious."
      >
      >There's no Betty Rubble in the Flintstones Chewable Vitamins.
      >
      >Tigers have striped skin, not just striped fur.
      >
      >TYPEWRITER is the longest word that can be made using the letters
      only on one
      >row of the keyboard.
      >
      >Winston Churchill was born in a ladies' room during a dance.
      >
      >Women blink nearly twice as much as men.
      >
      >Your stomach has to produce a new layer of mucus every two weeks;

    • Freya
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 12, 2005
        > >A goldfish has a memory span of three seconds.

        Proven untrue on the TV show Mythbusters.

        > >On a Canadian two dollar bill, the flag flying over the Parliament
        >building is
        > >an American flag.

        Nope! That flag is the "Red Ensign," predecessor of the modern Maple Leaf flag.

        > >The microwave was invented after a researcher walked by a radar tube
        >and a
        > >chocolate bar melted in his pocket.

        True.

        > >There's no Betty Rubble in the Flintstones Chewable Vitamins.

        Hence the band Betty's Not A Vitamin

        > >Winston Churchill was born in a ladies' room during a dance.

        Not really! See http://www.snopes.com/history/world/churchill.asp for details.

        - Fearless Freya of Arty Atlanta

        Moral certainty is always a sign of cultural inferiority. The more
        uncivilized the man, the surer he is that he knows precisely what is right
        and what is wrong. All human progress, even in morals, has been the work of
        men who have doubted the current moral values, not of men who have whooped
        them up and tried to enforce them. The truly civilized man is always
        skeptical and tolerant, in this field as in all others. His culture is
        based on "I am not too sure." - H.L.Mencken