From Reddit

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 9, 2010
      As an atheist, I find dating to really suck. (self.atheism)

      submitted 16 hours ago by Theophagist

      It comes up.. And it is important to me that my possible future wife isn't going to feed my potential kids any hocus-pocus. I never even go out with religious people, they always end up holding ridiculous, wishy-washy home-made faith spiritualist belief systems and profess to the good ol' fashioned "something must be out there greater than me because my imagination sucks."

      Who do I have to fuck to find a real intellectual?

      With all my passion, my art and music, my humanitarianism and benevolence, I'm still seen as a damaged individual living a cold, meaningless, passionless and joyless existence by many, and I'm used to that. But it really fucking hits home when you're trying to find someone to spend your life with and you realize most of the world is delusional.

      * 637 comments
      * sharecancel

      comments
      sorted by:
      best
      hotnewcontroversialtopold
      200
      500

      energirl 222 points223 points224 points 13 hours ago[+] (111 children)

      energirl 222 points223 points224 points 13 hours ago[-]

      Try being an atheist lesbian in the Bible Belt. Seriously.

      Theophagist [S] 103 points104 points105 points 13 hours ago[+] (29 children)

      Theophagist [S] 103 points104 points105 points 13 hours ago[-]

      Yes maam I think I should give that a try. Just in case.

      * parent

      Benjaphar 20 points21 points22 points 12 hours ago[+] (27 children)

      Benjaphar 20 points21 points22 points 12 hours ago[-]

      I just put it on my list.

      * parent

      duke777 14 points15 points16 points 9 hours ago[+] (26 children)

      duke777 14 points15 points16 points 9 hours ago[-]

      Try being an atheist, gay republican in bible belt. I've met one. It's my understanding that it would be an oxymoron but all those republican politicians coming out of the closet make it legit.

      * parent

      kormgar 3 points4 points5 points 9 hours ago[+] (8 children)

      kormgar 3 points4 points5 points 9 hours ago[-]

      I could actually see a gay atheist as a 1950's era republican. But as a member of that modern collection of reactionary religious nutbags posing as a political party? Weird.

      * parent

      load more comments (8 replies)

      Theophagist [S] 5 points6 points7 points 5 hours ago[+] (4 children)

      Theophagist [S] 5 points6 points7 points 5 hours ago[-]

      it would be an oxymoron

      Or some kind of moron.

      * parent
    • Claude Kadiddlehopper
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 10, 2010
        My observations totally back up yours.  The best results I've had so far is to advertise my "weird" (meaning unpopular, unusual) aspects first.  That'll weed out the BABTs, Marx-deists (and other personality cultists), totalitarians, etc. etc. right away, That give me more time to spend on the better prospects.

        The mating game is definitely harder for those of us who don't fit into the norm.  But it is still hackable.  One of the best books I've read on this aspect of sales (and it very much is sales) was written by Ron Louis and David Copeland.  How To Succeed With Women is still one of the best sales books I know of, and has helped me in more than just gettin' some.

        I've also had higher than average success in intellect-heavy environments, like pickin' up chicks in Vector Calculus, political clubs (non Demuplikan/Repukelikrat at least-for that is the norm).  Bookstores, especially used media stores, might also be ripe.  In general, go where those with your interests/values are more likely to hang out.

        And yes, I know that may be far to go depending on where you live.  You have a better chance if there's a non-religious college nearby, and if you live near a larger city.  But there are some small towns that have pleasantly surprised me too.

        Good luck.  Here's some appropriate soundtrack:

        maslaid

      • tigerfan158@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 10, 2010

          I second your opinion.  I volunteer at a religious charity to rebuild computers for free distribution to those in need.  As a non-believer Atheist myself, the other volunteers accept my expertise but flaunt their right wing Republican bull shit quite regularly as we refurbish the equipment.  I listen, occasionally play "Devil's Advocate" although I know the only devils in existence are politicians, lawyers, and preachers.  75% of all donations of sundry items and 90% of all computer donations  given to the charity are trashed as junk.  Most all of the donations are given by "good honest Christians" who write off huge income tax deductions for donating trash to the "religious" charity.  We've been given empty PC cases, broken printers, broken copiers, burned out monitors, all given by good Christians to a Christian charity. (I will leave the charity unnamed.) No, it's not the Salvation Army.

          Christians often use the moronic argument that non-believers have no morals or standards to live by. WRONG! I know good Christians who fuck around on their mates, have premarital sex like rabbits in heat, and father and mother children without marriage just to get Federal financial aid, etc.  I know good Christians who use illegal drugs to get high.

          Yes, it's tough to be a free thinker and not become a conformist Christian Lemming.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 12, 2010
              I'm looking for a rich old geezer with one foot in the grave. I suppose that's a good a reason as any to go to church! HAHAHA.
            • tigerfan158@gmail.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 12, 2010
                Make sure he has two popsicle sticks and some duct tape! :-)