Re: [FT-HUMOR] Mortality

    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 30, 2010
      Great writing!  If people had some awareness that they were eternal, ever think about how just awful selfish they would be?  I don't know about you, but remember that supposed psychic,  "lady whatever"?   She was from the islands or something.  What a great scam!!  Do you know either one of us could stare mystically and go on the tube and say we know peoples destinies?   The feds. busted her for taking all the old folks money on the hopes she knew something about eternity.

      Oh!  I had a psychic reading and was told in my last past life I was a stack of dirty dishes.

      On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 9:01 PM, donnajgore <donnajgore@...> wrote:

      --- In FT-HUMOR@yahoogroups.com, Ray Smith <raysny@...> wrote:

      > It's logical, things have a beginning and an end. If you think about it, who would want eternity? It would make this life meaningless; realizing that my time is finite makes life more precious.

      Yep. This life is all we have. If there is "life after death," then there is no such thing as death. So why are we crying, having funerals, and all that stuff? This is one reason I say people do NOT believe what they claim to believe. Because their behavior betrays them. If they really believed Grandma was in heaven with Jesus, they would be happy and celebrating. If you really believed all that heaven crap, then the day your loved ones die would be the best, happiest days! That woman in Texas, who drowned her kids in the bathtub, remember her? She just wanted them to be with Jesus. But then the very same people who claim to believe in that shit, and claim to want the best for their kids....decided that she was crazy for sending her children there.

      I did go through a period where I was terrified of death. But then I figured, well, there ain't much I can do about it, now is there?? Plus, I won't KNOW that I'm dead -- so how can it be scary if I am unaware? What's there to be afraid of ?????? It'll just be like going to sleep.

      One thing that helped me a lot was Greta Christina's essay
      http://www.gretachristina.com/comfort.html

      Humans are the only creatures cognizant of their own mortality. So we invented religious crap like heaven, reincarnation, etc. to deal with our fear of death.

      I figure some day I'll just be old, and tired, and ready to go. Shit, I am already old and tired. My body is falling apart and everything aches. Once you pass 50, it's all downhill!

      There have been numerous sci-fi fantasy stories about creatures such as vampires who are tired of living and they WANT to die and cannot. They want the release of death, but they can't have it, so they are doomed to suffer forever.

    • donnajgore
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 2, 2010
        --- In FT-HUMOR@yahoogroups.com, "Mr.Natural" <natural.mr642@...> wrote:

        > Great writing! If people had some awareness that they were eternal, ever
        > think about how just awful selfish they would be? I don't know about you,
        > but remember that supposed psychic, "lady whatever"? She was from the
        > islands or something. What a great scam!!

        The "psychics" who make money off people who are grieving the loss of a loved one are the lowest scum on the planet. Well maybe #2 behind the child molesters.......
      • tigerfan158@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 3, 2010
          What a boring existence it would be for a person's dead Granny to follow you around all day, watching everything you do.  Granny Ghost watches as you take a dump.  She watches as you do the wild thing with your mate.  Here's granny, listening as you think your farting alone in your computer room while on the internet. Granny Ghost is riding in the empty passenger seat of your Chevy when you get killed running a red light.  Why didn't Granny Ghost warn you?  Oh, she was there to take you to the "other side."

          If all this crap was true, there would not only be Granny Ghost, but Grandpa Ghost and all your ancestors following you around, watching as you scratch your itchy ass.

          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 12, 2010
            --- In FT-HUMOR@yahoogroups.com, <tigerfan158@...> wrote:

            > What a boring existence it would be for a person's dead Granny to follow you around all day, watching everything you do. Granny Ghost watches as you take a dump. She watches as you do the wild thing with your mate. Here's granny, listening as you think your farting alone in your computer room while on the internet. Granny Ghost is riding in the empty passenger seat of your Chevy when you get killed running a red light. Why didn't Granny Ghost warn you? Oh, she was there to take you to the "other side."

            My granny ghost was in my dreams. She wasn't DOING anything, just hanging in the background watching. She musta been BORED.