Re: [FT-HUMOR] A Republican Thanking Us

  • Marlene alvarado
    Message 1 of 27 , Dec 4, 2009
      Thanks.  At least people like me can count on SS instead of investing in Wall Street since I never was able to make enough money to live on much less invest, because even though I got a college degree, even though I was dyslectic, I graduated with 3.8, I was unable to find a good paying job and still had to pay off student loans.

      From: Tigerfan <tigerfan158@ gmail.com>
      To: FT-HUMOR@yahoogroup s.com
      Date: Wednesday, December 2, 2009, 8:52 AM

      The sad fact is that most people will not look for work until their unemployment compensation almost runs out.  There are those who consider the last two years as a paid vacation when unemployment benefits continue to be extended.  Also, employers contribute some of the money to the unemployment funds which are distributed to those not working.

      The government gets a benefit from our S.S. paid out of our checks, and paid by our employers.  They use the funds to finance government spending while putting the excess collected in a pseudo fund considered to be saved for future retirees.  The S.S. immediately upon being received by the government becomes an immediate debt, not an asset.

      -God

      From: Claude Kadiddlehopper <masvx800@yahoo. com>
      To: FT-HUMOR@yahoogroup s.com
      Date: Sunday, November 29, 2009, 1:47 PM

      Not that I don't sympathise (I'm one of those unemployed/underemp loyed suckers) but this is way of topic, vituperative, and very partisan.  It's not like the Demuplicans have been any better than the Repukelicrats.  They both grew government involvement in the education sector, for example, and still have schools that don't teach the necessities of surviving in the Real World, you know, silly skill like balancing a checkbook, learning to invest for retirement and emergencies, negotiating for a salary, etc.

      But if Big Mommy/Gummint/ God Is The State/Leviathan wants to exist and grow ever larger, it sure doesn't pay to actually solve any of these problems it says it's there to solve.

      masnomymindisnotfor renttoanygodorgo vernment

      Message 2 of 27 , Dec 6, 2009
        Yeah, I consider it worthwhile.  There will always be some closed-minded boanheddz in any large group, but most of the correspondence I've seen on this particular thread is intelligent.

        masnomymindisnotforrenttoanygodorgovernment

        Message 3 of 27 , Dec 6, 2009
          Yeah, that describes me to a large extent too.  I learned too late that it's the human that writes the paycheck, not the engineering degree.  "Don't let your schooling get in the way of your education" as Sam Clemens said.  BTW, you must be a bit older than me;  I can not count on Social(ist) (In)security being around when I reach 62.  I just figure that I'll have to work 'til I drop.  Oh well!

          Investing in stocks, real estate, etc. is not inherently evil.  But most people never really learn how to handle active investing.  The schools that are supposed to teach our young to live in the real world, don't, so we're not the only ones learning these things too late in life.  Life goes on, still.

          "I'm gonna get my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames!" - Jim Morrison.

          mas

          ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -----

          ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ----

          Message 4 of 27 , Dec 6, 2009

            Investing in stocks is a bad idea.  Investing in mutual funds is tenuous, but better than individual securities.  I agree that most people do not know how to invest, nor do they have the personal discipline necessary for long term investments.  A friend of mine lost 200,000 playing the derivative markets last year.  The word "derivative" sounds too close to "diarrhea" to me so I won't invest there.

            I am drawing Social Security and thought it wouldn't be there for me either.  It may remain a viable program, but limited to pay out what comes in every year.  S.S. was never intended to be a retirement pension program, but to supplement a person's existing retirement plans. Many people treat S.S. as their only retirement program and refuse to save anything, then cry when they can't live on it.

            Back to what someone posted about some of these posts not being humorous: There is little that is more humorous than how Americans and the U.S. Government manage their funds!

            Okay, I'll add some religious humor which I saw written on a shithouse stall wall where I once worked:  "Jesus Saves.....At The Credit Union."

            Message 5 of 27 , Dec 7, 2009
              LOL Tigerfan!  It's not that investing in any particular vehicle is a bad idea, it's always a bad idea to invest without the proper education in how to do so.  Back in the '90s I blew off getting a house, keeping my money in my growth mutuals, etc. for what I felt were good reasons, but turned out not to be.  This is not society's fault (although I can still blame the school system for not keeping up with the times and teaching these necessities) so much as mine for not consulting with enough experienced advisors, studying, etc.  "The fault lies not in our stars dear Brutus, but in ourselves".

              One thing that Jim Cramer, for one example, stresses is the importance of being truly diversified.  He recommends that those of us who do, or like me aspire to, play the stock market, have enough (after maxing out our IRAs, etc.) to own stock in companies in at least 5 totally different industries.  That way if there's a bust in the tech sector we won't lose everthing.

              I look at it just the same as riding a bike.  It's only dangerous to those who don't know the skills and don't have the right attitude.

              We're all different individuals, and just as one kind of investing isn't right for all individuals, neither is one religion, lifestyle, etc.

              Be Free!
              mas