I'm An Atheist, So What?

  • strangerangers1
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 4, 2009
      I was at work when someone brought up that I am an atheist.

      A nearby coworker nearly had a heart-attack.

      "You are?" she asked. "But ... you're such a ... good person!"

      In the words of Oneita: Oh, my.

      I'd like to set the record straight on atheism. Being an atheist opens up my world to the different possibilities I may have otherwise missed. It makes me an accepting individual because it is an exercise in questioning that allows me to explore any and all walks of life.

      Atheism breaks down the barriers put up by racism, sexism, xenophobia, and other discrimination because I have an understanding that there is nothing more important (i.e. an invitation into heaven) than the feelings I share with others.

      I explained this to my coworker.

      "Well, I'm older than you," she said. "I understand more."

      I didn't tell her that I attended a strict, private Catholic school for eight years, that I had questions my teachers nervously refused to answer, and that I've since answered those questions myself. I did, however, tell her my views were not without research. Yes, she is older, but that doesn't mean anything.

      I am capable of empathy, optimism, sadness, patriotism, guilt and love.

      I told her I'm more confident because I'm not ashamed of any thoughts. I neglected to stress that I still differentiate between right and wrong, but I assumed she knew that.

      I don't do drugs, have sex with strangers, drive insanely fast or bust caps in asses.

      Her response? "Someday, you'll get it."

      In respect to the warm and fuzzy feeling one gets (and I've tried very hard to get) from organized religion, I can get that same feeling by going to a concert. All we are feeling is the energy of a group of people coming together enthusiastically for a common interest. The difference is the context: Believers feel God brought them together; fans think it was Ticketmaster.

      I ended the conversation out of respect for the workplace -- a public school. Begrudgingly, I let my coworker have the final word.

      "Don't give up," she said. "Just try keeping a more open mind."

      PETER JURICH, 23, of Dearborn is a Wayne State University student who wrote "Typing With One Hand."
    • Donna Gore
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 4, 2009
        "You are?" she asked. "But ... you're such a ... good person!"

        I used to have this discussion repeatedly with a friend and co worker named Dianne, who's a Christian. She would say things like, "I KNOW you're a Christian, IN YOUR HEART. You are so good and kind."

        In her mind good, kind automatically = Christian. Period.
      • Claude Kadiddlehopper
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 5, 2009
          Since these sheople aren't open to the idea of change (they operate on blind faith, you know) I'd say don't waste too much energy on them after asking them to apologize for these slights and dis's.

          "Looking on the bright side of life" though, most of us came from religious and/or spiritual families.  We came upon enlightenment "spontaneously".  That means that we can count on the BABT's kids crossing to our side much more than any atheists "finding god".

          "Any sufficiently advanced science is indistinguishable from magic."--A.C. Clarke.
          But once one understands the concept of science one recognizes advanced science as advanced science, not magic.  IOW, why credit the beautiful workings of reality to some imaginary Skye Faeries when the reality, while often requiring more thought and research to understand and appreciate than mere rote memorization of dogma, is so much more fulfillng?

          Mark S. aka Claude Kaddidlehopper aka masnomymindisnotforrenttoanygodorgovernment aka....

          "You are?" she asked. "But ... you're such a ... good person!"

          I used to have this discussion repeatedly with a friend and co worker named Dianne, who's a Christian. She would say things like, "I KNOW you're a Christian, IN YOUR HEART. You are so good and kind."

          In her mind good, kind automatically = Christian. Period.

        • Gene Ehrich
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 7, 2009
            At 11:48 AM 8/5/2009, you wrote:
            >much more than any atheists "finding god".

            That is almost impossible. If one is bright enough to be an atheist
            they will not backtrack to being a theist
          • srilookatmynavelnow
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 5, 2009
              --- In FT-HUMOR@yahoogroups.com, "Donna Gore" <donnajgore@...> wrote:

              > "You are?" she asked. "But ... you're such a ... good person!"
              >

              > I used to have this discussion repeatedly with a friend and co worker named Dianne, who's a Christian. She would say things like, "I KNOW you're a Christian, IN YOUR HEART. You are so good and kind."
              >
              > In her mind good, kind automatically = Christian. Period.

              Um, why do you all perceieve me as a woman a talkin? Nope. I like to think of myself walkin naked down a beach and leaving a drag mark between my legs.

              Where's God? Other than wanting absolute power, I've never seen It. This is from someone who lived in Ashrams and truly did have the great experiences. Now, just listen to Bowie.

              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_aDSyi5vBI