"Respecting the Dead"

  • Donna Gore
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2009
      As far as MJ - I did like him, back when he was a black man. Didn't care for the white woman too much, I lost interest in him/her after that.

      The tasteless MJ Jokes have started. "The autopsy determined the cause of Michael Jackson's death - he died from food poisoning. He ate some 12 year old nuts."

      When I repeated the joke, some of my friends were very offended. They said nobody should "exploit" another's death, that you should "have a little respect," "respect the dead," blah blah blah.

      So I have to respect someone just because he's dead? Adolf Hitler is DEAD. Jeffrey Dahmer is DEAD. No, respect is EARNED.

      So you think telling jokes is "exploiting" ? When you say "struggles or death" does that include any and all types of struggles and deaths? For instance, Amy Winehouse struggling with drug addiction -- she's always the butt of jokes. Is that inappropriate?

      What about those "Darwin awards" when somebody dies doing something incredibly stupid, like sticking a firecracker in their ass and lighting it? You don't think we should make jokes about that? is it okay to make fun of some deaths and not others? Where do you draw the line, and how do arrive at that decision?

      Of course none of them had an answer for any of my questions.

      Nowadays, all comedians write their jokes from the headlines. That's what they do for a living, that's their job. And I think comedy SHOULD be offensive. Because it's the last bastion of truly free speech.

      When I die, I hope it's in a way that is comical and absurd, so that my friends will get a good laugh out of it. I want them to laugh instead of cry.

      As the Indigo Girls say in my "theme song" - "it's only life, after all"