Bill Maher: New Rules

  • Donna Gore
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2008
      And finally, New Rule: A candidate for president should not be judged
      by the color of his skin. And to - and to anyone who thinks
      differently, I say, please do not reject John McCain just because he's
      white. I think the recent news from Wall Street has made us all less
      tolerant, and only reinforced the stereotype that white people are
      shiftless, thieving welfare queens.

      Now, take a look at these pictures. Here are the CEO's of Fannie Mae,
      Freddie Mac, AIG and the Lehman Brothers. I know the first thing that
      jumps out about these faces is they all happen to be white, and they
      all happen to be responsible for stealing. But, what you have to
      understand is that these whites are a product of a society that made
      them that way.

      It was the neighborhoods and the schools they went to: Harvard, Yale,
      the Wharton School of Business.

      They never learned the value of doing real, actual work. And the first
      step to fixing that is better role models so kids growing up white
      today don't think the only way out of Westchester is corporate crime.

      Or a government handout. Or sailing.

      So, I get it. The temptation is to look at McCain and vote against him
      because you don't see an individual; you just see another typical
      welfare "whitey."

      And it's true. He spent his entire life shuffling from one low-paying
      government job to another. Well, except those years he spent in
      prison. Typical. And, between you and me, he's not very articulate.

      Oh, he may have some street smarts, but he's not what you'd call an
      "educated" man. He freely admits he's ignorant about the economy. And
      apparently the only thing his white running mate knows how to do is
      crank out one baby after another.

      And now, of course, her teenage is pregnant out of wedlock, because
      she learns it at home!

      But, that doesn't mean we should assume all white people are like that
      just because so many of them are. I believe there is hope. I believe
      even the stupidest, greediest, laziest whites can break the cycle of
      dependence, like this November when we finally move George Bush out of
      public housing.