Chinese Year of the Cock

  • paul
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 27, 2008
      I'm new to San Francisco. Last year, when I was contemplating a move
      here, the city got lots of press for Mayor Gavin Newsome's decision to
      marry homosexual people at City Hall. "Fair enough," I thought. Even
      though I'm a devoted hetero, I've got no problem with gay people
      wanting to tie the knot, and I'm a big fan of this city's support of
      gay rights.

      I was a bit surprised, though, when they announced that this year
      would be the Year of the Cock. I mean, tolerating homosexuality is one
      thing. Outright encouraging it, however, seems as misguided as forcing
      people to be hetero. And it seems so one-sided. I wonder how all the
      lesbians in SF feel about all this "Cock" business. Maybe if they
      lobby hard enough, 2006 can be the Year of the Clit or Year of the
      Labia or cervix or some other shit that lesbians like (Melissa
      Ethridge? Flannel shirts?).

      Anyway, the Year of the Cock announcement piqued my curiosity,
      especially after a slew of posters and flyers went up all over the
      city announcing a parade in honor of the Cock on February 19. Wanting
      to understand the politics and culture of my new home, I decided I'd
      attend.

      Not at all what I expected.

      I thought I'd see lots of skinny white guys of various ages, dressed
      in leather vests and small shorts. I thought there would be rainbows
      everywhere and Madonna music blaring. Boy, was I wrong.

      First of all, the parade was overrun by Chinese people—men and women
      alike. It seemed that the only people in this city who care about Cock
      are Chinese. Both in the parade and lining the street, it was Chinese
      as far as the eyes could see. There were a few white and Latino people
      there, too, but they were way in the minority. I had always thought
      that Asian cultures' intolerance of homosexuality rivaled that of,
      say, Alabama. But apparently, the times, they are a-changin'.
      Nowadays, Chinese men love Cock, too!

      What I actually saw
      Also, the Cock Parade turned out to be a big family affair. I figured
      it would be filled with young, single men and a few supportive family
      members. Instead, the Cock Parade was choc full of Chinese men of all
      ages—and they brought their wives and children, too.

      At first I found that slightly odd. But then it occurred to me: Cock
      isn't just for gay guys. Women love it, too! After recognizing that
      the Year of the Cock was for gay men and straight women, I began to
      see what this was all about. Married men who recently mustered up the
      courage to come out of the closet were bringing their wives along as a
      bonding experience! After all, one thing they have in common is a love
      for the Cock. In the end, I was impressed by both the men's courageous
      step of publicly voicing their homosexuality, and their wives' support
      of the men's new lifestyles.

      Regardless, I remained curious why these couples brought their kids
      along. I mean, is it really appropriate to teach four-year-old boys
      and girls about Cock? Although I certainly support these men's
      decisions to emerge from the closet, I've gotta wonder whether forcing
      Cock on little kids is appropriate. Maybe the Catholic Church has made
      inroads toward converting Chinese people.

      In these guys' defense, though, the parade was much more tastefully
      done than I had imagined. I feared that it would be replete with
      people dressed up in penis costumes and guys hanging their wangs out
      of their pants. There was none of that, though. In fact, the only
      Wangs I saw were in the crowd, and—outside of incessantly blocking
      traffic by crossing the street when it wasn't their turn—they were
      very well-behaved.

      Laughing at my cock. Bastards.
      Although the Cock Parade didn't deliver what I had expected, it was a
      great event nonetheless. Confusing at first, it turned into a touching
      show of support for families that could have been ripped apart by
      men's emergence from the closet. Rather than allow such revelations to
      divide them, the brave gay man/straight woman couples found common
      ground—their love for Cock.

      So hats off to the community of Gay Asian men in San Francisco for
      turning the Year of the Cock Parade into a family-friendly event and a
      re-affirmation of San Francisco's vibrant interracial gay culture. I
      can't wait to see what the rug-munchers come up with for next year!
    • Donna Gore
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2 5:53 PM
        Hahahaha. Did you write that? If not where did you find it?
        I want to forward it but I always give proper credit.
      • paul stoneman
        Message 3 of 3 , May 3 8:18 AM
          His name is Tom Delerio.  I have to start including the authors names with this stuff.  Really have to give credit where credit is due.