Mississippi Judge Ordered to Remove Burning Cross

  • SteveYoth@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 24, 2003
      From the UGA Humor email list...
      Steve Yothment

      Mississippi Judge Ordered to Remove
      Twelve-foot Burning Cross From Courthouse
      by Brian Briggs

      Jackson, MS - Judge Clinton Marburger continued his refusal
      to comply with a federal court ruling which ordered him to
      remove a twelve-foot tall burning cross from his courtroom.

      The state faces fines and loss of federal funding if the cross
      is not removed before Friday at midnight.

      "The cross is a symbol of God which is the moral basis for our
      laws," said Judge Marburger. "It's not endorsing any particular
      form of religion. All Christian denominations recognize the
      cross as an important symbol, so it really shouldn't be an issue."

      "Furthermore," continued Judge Marburger, "the cross in my
      courtroom symbolizes the sacrifice that we all make in meting
      out justice, and the flames symbolize the warm feelings we
      have for all those who pass through our doors. Who could
      object to that?"

      Supporters of Judge Marburger held hands on the courthouse
      steps and sang choruses of "Amazing Grace" and "My Mammy"
      during an overnight, cross-light vigil.

      "Everyone knows that Jesus died on the cross, so why
      wouldn't we want to burn it? I mean would Jesus want to
      come back and see all these crosses around? I don't think
      he would want to be reminded of that time," questioned
      Tom Hayder, a supporter from Biloxi.

      Other supporters wondered when the separation of church
      and state madness would end. Cheryl White from Jackson
      worried, "First they forbid the ten commandments in Alabama,
      now our burning cross in Mississippi. Next thing you know,
      they'll want to stop the re-enactments of the crucifixion
      during sentencing that the court in Texas does!"

      The perpetually burning cross was installed late one night in July,
      and met with immediate objections from Civil Rights groups
      who decried it as a hateful symbol of racism and intolerance.

      "Those people just don't understand," retorted Marburger.
      "When I make rulings in my courtroom, I take no consideration
      into the race or religious affiliation of the unseemly heathen,
      mostly black defendants in my courtroom."

      A federal court ruled that not only did the burning cross
      promote a religion, but that Judge Marburger was "out of
      his fucking mind and should be removed from the bench
      with extreme prejudice."

      (c) BBspot LLC