Re: [FT-HUMOR] question if I may

  • paul
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 10, 2007
      http://atheistempire.com/atheism/ProjectA.html
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Dick Richardson
      To: FT-HUMOR@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 4:18 PM
      Subject: [FT-HUMOR] question if I may

      Can anti-priestcrafty mystics take part here too :- )

      I bet you that there is not a one of you here who have tried to do as much as I have to rid the world of priestcraft and their religions over the last seventy years. All talk and laughing and no action will never get the baby bathed you know. What do YOU DO ? And what do you replace their dangerous psychological and political junk with? Any takers on that amigo's all ?

      Merlin of Exmoor.

    • Alexandra Moffat
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 11, 2007
        The following quote from GENIUS by James Gleick - the biography of
        Richard Feynman, one of the all-time greats of science, humor,
        rationalism and more is the best "replacement " for me:

        "You see, one thing is, I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not
        knowing. I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than
        to have answers which might be wrong. I have approximate answers and
        possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different
        things but I'm not absolutely sure of anything and there are many
        things that I don't know anything about, such as whether it means
        anything to ask why we're here.
        I don't have to know an answer. I don't feel frightened by not
        knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any
        purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It
        dosn't frighten me."

        -Richard Feynman, shortly before his death, Feb 15 1988

        I hand this out to any who agree , for their pleasure - or who
        don't , with a rational approach to trying to understand the
        universe. This above is so simple and strong that my hope is it
        will penetrate, like a worm, the cement walls of idiotic faith &
        certainty and plant a seed of doubt, maybe to remain long buried
        but perhaps to grow and expand minds of the religiously-seduced.
        Isn't it wonderful now that so many aetheist books are popular? That
        we are slowly refusing to be closeted?
        Can't go wrong with Feynman! Or doubt!

        Alexandra

        On Oct 10, 2007, at 6:48 AM, Dick Richardson wrote:

        > Can anti-priestcrafty mystics take part here too :- )
        >
        > I bet you that there is not a one of you here who have tried to do
        > as much as I have to rid the world of priestcraft and their
        > religions over the last seventy years. All talk and laughing and no
        > action will never get the baby bathed you know. What do YOU DO ?
        > And what do you replace their dangerous psychological and political
        > junk with? Any takers on that amigo's all ?
        >
        > Merlin of Exmoor.

      • Donna Gore
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 11, 2007
          --- In FT-HUMOR@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Richardson" <richard@...> wrote:
          > I bet you that there is not a one of you here who have tried to do
          as much as I have to rid the world of priestcraft and their religions

          I don't want to get rid of them. I'm having too much fun laughing at
          them. To remove religion from the world would deprive me of hours of
          laughter and enjoyment. And cut off thousands of standup comedians
          from a vast store of research material and inspiration.
        • Marlene alvarado
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 12, 2007
            I agree. Thanks for all the laughs you have sent me!

            > I bet you that there is not a one of you here who have tried to do
            as much as I have to rid the world of priestcraft and their religions

            I don't want to get rid of them. I'm having too much fun laughing at
            them. To remove religion from the world would deprive me of hours of
            laughter and enjoyment. And cut off thousands of standup comedians
            from a vast store of research material and inspiration.

          • Dennis G. Wicks
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 13, 2007
              Donna Gore wrote the following on 10/11/2007 08:00 PM:
              > --- In FT-HUMOR@yahoogroups.com <mailto:FT-HUMOR%40yahoogroups.com>,
              > "Dick Richardson" <richard@...> wrote:
              > > I bet you that there is not a one of you here who have tried to do
              > as much as I have to rid the world of priestcraft and their religions
              >
              > I don't want to get rid of them. I'm having too much fun laughing at
              > them. To remove religion from the world would deprive me of hours of
              > laughter and enjoyment. And cut off thousands of standup comedians
              > from a vast store of research material and inspiration.

              Yes, but religious wars and intolerance cause so much death
              and suffering I would gladly be rid of them and forgo a little humor.
            • Donna Gore
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 24, 2007
                --- In FT-HUMOR@yahoogroups.com, Marlene alvarado
                <marlenealvarado@...> wrote:
                > I agree. Thanks for all the laughs you have sent me!

                IF I couldn't laugh at this shit I would go insane.