Great Quotes

  • paul
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 11, 2007
      G.K. Chesterton:
      I always like a dog so long as he isn't spelled backward.

      Gore Vidal:
      I'm a born-again atheist.

      Henny Youngman:
      I once wanted to become an atheist but I gave up . . . they have no
      holidays.

      John Dietrich:
      The President of the United States summons the nation to church on
      Thanksgiving Day to give thanks to "Almighty God" for the abundant
      harvest and all other blessings. But what has Almighty God -- I have
      no desire to appear irreverent -- what has Almighty God as a personal
      being to do with the harvests? If it is he who produces our crops,
      then being Almighty there should never be a failure of crops. But
      since crops frequently fail, it follows that there is no Almighty
      person in charge of them -- unless he brings failure purposely.
      Therefore, if God is to be thanked for large crops, he must be blamed
      when the crops are a failure. . . . If God sends the rain and the
      sunshine which develops and ripens our wheat, who sends the storms
      and the insects which destroy much of it? And if he sends both, then
      why not thank him for one and blame him for the other?

      Roman Tombstone:
      Do not pass by my epitaph, traveler.
      But having stopped, listen and learn, then go your way.
      There is no boat in Hades, no ferryman Charon,
      No caretaker Aiakos, no dog Cerberus.
      All we who are dead below
      Have become bones and ashes, but nothing else.
      I have spoken to you honestly, go on, traveler,
      Lest even while dead I seem loquacious to you.