Re: [FSRA] FSRA 2002 Spring Season Procedures and Rules

  • Cristi Peterson
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 24, 2002
      To the Executive Committee:

      Both the men and the women at Episcopal High School emphatically vote �no�
      on the proposed changes to the Constitution.
      First, we object on principal to clubs being considered �Scholastic�
      members. Simply put, a school is a member of a scholastic organization, not
      a club. This fact seems to have been bypassed by ego at the Fall meeting,
      and coaches� assertions that they were not afraid to race anyone. As a small
      school, we already have to row against much larger schools, and we embrace
      this challenge, but to be forced to compete against clubs that can draw from
      several huge schools is, in our opinion, beyond fair competition. No FHSAA
      state championships allow clubs, and although we are separate from FHSAA, we
      feel that the principal is the same: to find which school can field the best
      team.
      Second, we do not object to having a separate championship for schools and
      clubs, but by moving the scholastic championship forward (the race on which
      we would focus), you significantly handicap those programs which are not
      able to row in the fall. Every week counts for us, and we would lose about
      10% of our water time to prepare for the state championships. In addition,
      if we are making the change to accommodate the clubs, why move the
      Scholastic Championship from its prearranged date? If the clubs feel that
      they need a championship outside of Miami, why not let them row in Tampa on
      April 27? That way, the schools that are not interested in racing the
      clubs can keep their original schedule. If all the Jacksonville schools
      agree, we can still hold our city championships on that date.
      Third, why would we allow doubling at the Youth Championship? Didn�t we
      combine state fours and state eights to eliminate 8 big rowers from
      dominating competition? That took a whole meeting a few years back. Why go
      back to that for this race? Is it to give people more chances to qualify
      for Cincinnati? Is that fair for everyone or favoring just a few?
      Fourth, a state championship decided by flights? We all know how much the
      water conditions can fluctuate, and the proposal that the fastest boats
      can�t go head-to-head, for a state title, no less, seems grossly unfair and
      ill-advised.
      Finally, we understand that everyone wants a fair system, and wants it now,
      but at this point in the season, we believe it is too late to make such
      drastic changes. We all have to contend with Spring Break, prom, class
      trips, Easter, SAT�s, site availability etc., and have planned our local
      regattas around the statewide regattas. At this point, our seasons would be
      thrown into disarray, and we would either cut races such as city
      championships or have our numbers weakened at some of these races. What�s
      more, we (in Jacksonville) have already made travel arrangements for the
      current schedule. We would lose deposit money on buses and hotels, not to
      mention having to reschedule them, if these changes take place.
      And a question that was asked at the meeting but has not been formally
      addressed: Will clubs be able to row as a club at the Youth Championships
      and also break down to schools at the Scholastic Championship?
      We do appreciate the work that has gone into making the system work better
      for everyone, but to make the suggested changes at this point in the year
      would, in our opinion, cause more negative effects than positive.

      Respectfully,

      Cristi Peterson and Allen Todd
      Episcopal High School

    • Paul Bugenhagen
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 24, 2002
        My apologies on not detailing an arrangement regarding bids and their
        attachment to state regattas in the documents. This has been a policy that
        has been "understood" and never formalized within the documentation of the
        organization. I am only a coach and trying my best to pull all of this
        information together for your review. Thank you Tess and Steve for pointing
        out this oversight. I'm sorry that on this particular issue my best is not
        good enough.

        Regardless, we are in the voting period and I doubt its a good idea to
        change anything that's already been voted on. The idea that Youth
        Invitational bids are attached to the Florida Youth Champ and that any bids
        necessary to compete at Stotebury or Schoolboys are similarly attached to
        our Florida Scholastic Champ is not new and also not exactly a corner stone
        issue of what we are all trying to accomplish right now. These bids have
        only ever been formalized in USRowing documents and for the moment I hope
        that we can all agree that that will suffice, for the moment.

        We should and will formalize this concept and an amendment will be written.

        Again I apologize for this oversight and appreciate everyone's input.

        Sincerely,

        Paul

        >From: "tess durant" <tessdurant@...>
        >To: paulbugenhagen@..., FSRA@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [FSRA] FSRA 2002 Spring Season Procedures and Rules
        >Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 02:44:01

      • Paul Bugenhagen
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 24, 2002
          The by-laws state that "Organizational members shall be secondary schools
          and rowing clubs" thus consolidating every member into one body, instead of
          having a club comprised of multiple schools we would only have the club, as
          a single entity, be a voting member of the association. This is exactly the
          same system thats been in place for HS members and is now applied to clubs.

          The rules being presented are the rules posted. The racing season begins
          Feb 2. Personally, I feel like we need to have a system in place that
          covers the bulk of everyones issue. Its impossible to meet everyones needs
          and all of your private agendas. We are trying to build something that
          benifits the State, not regions. This requires compromise on all sides and
          we msut work together. If we dont everyone is screwed. In my mind I have
          made some compromises on issues that I'm not that fond of, but to accomplish
          the mission given to us we have to be flexible and set something in place
          that for the most part is a positive step forward.

          We have 2 state championships and scholatic rowers will not face club crews
          in the scholastic chmapionships, that is very clearly stated. Everyone has
          something they would like to change, but we cant always get what we want.
          The FSRA is in the business of hosting State Championships and we are asking
          and have recieved very positive support in this regard. Its not perfect, it
          never will be, but the consensus coming in is that the majority feel we are
          improving our state system and that we are recognizing all of the high
          school aged rowers in this state and their needs as they relate to State
          Championships.

          Best Regards,

          Paul Bugenhagen

          >From: "tess durant" <tessdurant@...>
          >To: paulbugenhagen@..., FSRA@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [FSRA] FSRA 2002 Spring Season Procedures and Rules
          >Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 02:44:01

        • Bertossa, Daniel
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 24, 2002
            I'm in complete agreement with Paul here. The plan is not perfect and I'm sure we will want to tweak it a bit when we get the opportunity next fall. The racing season, however, is rapidly approaching and we need to get our ground rules in place.

            I think the proposed changes address the issues that have been the source of much debate in a way that will have everyone feeling that they have compromised, but also in a way that should have everyone see that we are moving in a very positive direction that is going to offer all crews a chance at fair competition. I know hindsight is... , but the approach we are trying to take now by proposing change and offering people a forum to discuss that change via e-mail and/or phone before voting is exactly the process that is laid out in our Constitution and what we should have done this past fall before trying to change the system in the way that we did back then. I certainly hope this is the approach we will take in the coming fall.

            In any event, Winter Park (men and women) is in full support of adopting the changes to the racing schedule to include a Youth State Championship Regatta and the High School State Championship Regatta.

            Regardless of the outcome of the vote tally, we will be available to discuss the proposal at the Novice Regatta if necessary.

            Dan Bertossa

          • KimYT5384@aol.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 25, 2002
              It certainly has been interesting reading in regard to this subject.  The Tallahassee Area Crew Club is composed of only two high schools (we're not a powerhouse club) and the changes proposed effect us both positively and negatively.  I must say it certainly is to the advantage of the scholastic teams (and not youth) to move the dates of the state championship.  The clubs could use the extra practice time to split their rowers and allow them to prepare as teams representing the same high school and therefore enter the 4/27 regatta.  And it's certainly set up to the advantage of the scholastic teams to have extra practice time and one more competition once they have their national boat in place.  The date switch should have had more input from clubs.  The executive board should have faced these problems and solved them last November.  Teams such as ours who must travel a distance do make reservations in advance for hotels and transportation.  Rescheduling at this point is one more headache we could have done without.

              So with some regret, we will vote in favor of these changes in the hope that now that we are "family" our concerns will carry a bit more weight when future issues must be decided.

              Kim Thompson
              President
              Tallahassee Area Crew
              (Lincoln and Chiles High Schools)
            • Paul Bugenhagen
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 25, 2002
                GAR (Eastside Hs & Buchholz HS) vote YES.

                Paul Bugenhagen

                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 25, 2002
                  At the annual meeting Tampa Prep School Crew voted for the change to include
                  Clubs more fully in Florida scholastic racing. We voted to form a single
                  championship race and still feel that one race could satisfy all interests.
                  We feel that including the clubs enriches the pool of competitors for us and
                  therefore benefiting Florida rowing as a whole. With a special meeting now
                  scheduled, I to hesitate to vote on any issue via email, especially on issues
                  requiring additional discussion and clarification.

                  Thank you,
                  Kim Brabson