Re: [FSRA] Florida Sprints League

  • Peter de Manio
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 29, 2006

      Bill:  Permit me to add my second to your well stated letter, and I also admire and appreciate your restrained mode of expression.  My feelings are considerably stronger, especially after the Hood Cup which from my perspective, somewhat tainted I will admit, demonstrated an unfortunate bias in favor of eights.  My personal preference is thoroughbreds to Clydesdales.  But then, that is why Howard Johnson's has so many flavors.  It's not a matter of right or wrong, simply preference, although I do agree that this may not be in the best interest of future youth rowing in Florida.

      Peter de Manio
      941.539.1905

      From: jwfwilco@...
      To: dsnewman99@..., FSRA@yahoogroups.com
      CC: tjmorgan@...
      Subject: Re: [FSRA] Florida Sprints League
      Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 12:31:46 -0500

      Dan - This will come as no surprise to you, but GAR will not be able to participate in the Sprints League Championship.  There are several reasons for this, not least of which is our inability to float three eights of either male or female pursuasion.  Best we can come up with is two eights of each.

      But we also disagree in principle with racing primarily in eights and favoring small dual and tri meets over large all day regattas.  I believe this philosophy will cause a rift in FSRA, but this may not necessarily be bad.  We may come up with an event for smaller teams (and boats) next Spring.

      We wish you the very best with this race at Turkey Lake on 15 April.

      Sincerely,  Bill Feaster

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 29, 2006

        Perhaps someone can explain to me how Hood Cup displayed a bias towards 8’s, neglecting the acknowledgement of 4’s and not providing ample racing opportunities for those smaller schools who cannot field 3 8’s?

        Brandon Thompson

        Boone Crew Head Coach

        Lake Gem Elementary- 5th Grade

        407-532-7900  ext.267

        Thompsb3@...

[...]

        §    Visit your group "FSRA" on the web.

        §    To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

        §    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

      • Dan Newman - Hotmail
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 25, 2008

          Dear Coaches,

          On April 12th, we will hold the third annual Florida Sprints League Championship on Turkey Lake. The race is designed for teams that have chosen to race in eights primarily and have begun moving their regular season away from large, all-day regattas and towards smaller dual and tri-meets.

          There are some guidelines for teams hoping to participate.

          1.      You should be able to race a 1st, 2nd and 3rd 8+ of both men and women without doubling rowers or coxswains between the boats. If your team is composed of only one gender or if only one gender wants to participate, we can accommodate.

          2.      You must be able to trade shirts at the end of the day with the winner of each event. (i.e. the winner of the Women's V8 will receive the shirts of all the other teams entered in the event).

          Throughout the season, many teams participate in smaller, more efficient regattas, but we are not placing a minimum requirement on participation other than the two conditions above.

          The racing schedule will be in a match-racing "Henley-style" format in which the entrants in each event will be seeded. A match racing bracket will be created and will progress throughout the day. Each team will race two, and hopefully three full "one-on-one" races in their lineup. (The bracket will be reminiscent of the NCAA Basketball tournament progression.)

          There will be an Open eight for 4th and 5th eights for larger teams, and probably an "open" 4+ for teams' leftover rowers. These races will be unseeded and raced in a six-lane format for maximum efficiency.

          We ask that each team bring a launch to administer the racing. You are encouraged to have one or more coaches on the water through the day.

          Please email or call at 850.321.0738 with any questions. I have spoken to many of you about the event. Please reply to me with your intention to attend even if you think I already know you're coming. Once I have a complete list of teams who will be attending, I will work with the coaches of each team to seed the 1st, 2nd and 3rd events.

          The cost will be total expenses divided by all teams participating. In the past its been under $150 per team.

          All the best,

          Dan Newman

          Capital City Rowing

          Men's Varsity Coach

          850.321.0738

        • Dan Newman
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 25, 2009
            TO: Current and Prospective FSL Coaches
            RE: Florida Sprints League 2008

            This will be the 4th year of the Florida Sprints League Championship. It will be held from 10:00AM until 3:30PM on Saturday, April 11th, 2009. It will be held on Turkey Lake at the Bill Frederick Park in Orlando, Florida.

            Drawing inspiration from historical sources such as the Boat Race, the EARC Eastern Sprints League, and NEIRA, the teams in the FSL have sought to reorganize their season around dual and tri races. These races facilitate day trips rather than overnight regattas, do not require the labor and production of hosting a large regatta and can be held on a greater variety of bodies of water in any team’s hometown.

            The Florida Sprints League, therefore, is more than a championship match-race regatta held two weeks prior to the FSRA State Championship. It is, and will continue to become, an approach to organizing your team’s racing season.

            I can only speak to Capital City Rowing’s experience with this style of racing, but we have dramatically cut our regatta budget, our season is considerably more manageable because half our races are held in Tallahassee, and when we travel out-of-town we can make daytrips. No longer does the season have the déjà vu factor in which it seemed like we raced the same five teams on the same bodies of water every weekend. By adding shirt-trading, all our rowers meet and shake hands with their opponents. Our parents and our opponent’s parents interact more as do the coaching staffs. All in all, it’s been enormously positive experience.

            The guidelines that we have asked of FSL teams are as follows:

            1.     Race eights. The FSL Championship features the 1st 8+, 2nd, 8+, and 3rd 8+. We also have an open 8+ and open 4+ to allow all your rowers to get a race.

            2.     Trade shirts. One of the best features of the FSL is shirt trading. The loser hands their shirt to the winner. The shirts can be simple one-color designs, but should clearly reflect your team name and logo.

            We seed events based on participants. Visit www.row2k.com AND www.floridarowing.org. When we seed the FSL Championship, it’s important to have access to all the results.

            We’ll have five events per gender at the Florida Sprints League Championship:
            • 1st 8+
            • 2nd 8+
            • 3rd 8+
            • Open 8+
            • Open 4+

            While these event classifications may seem limiting, they’re actually not. The classifications are designed to fit your current boatings. For instance, if you have 1M8, LM8, and FM8, then you’ll probably enter the LM8 in the 2nd 8+ event and Frosh in the 3rd 8+ event. There is no need to rearrange your entries. (Please note: You must enter a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd prior to entering the open events.)

            This regatta is a chance to get your States lineups 2-3 rows in the same lineups two weeks prior to the event.

            Some larger teams may have an interest in racing two 2nd or 3rd eights rather than an open 8+. For instance, you may want to enter a 3M8 and FM8 in the 3rd event. That is fine so long as we have capacity. Please indicate 2x3M8, in that case. If you have multiple entries they will seeded independently and will progress independently.

            Some teams have fewer than three eights for a given gender. This is not a problem. Please indicate that you will have no third boat so it doesn’t get seeded. Additionally, the Open4 is for your four worst rowers. The Open 8 should be prioritized ahead of your four.

            The costs of the regatta will distributed evenly amongst the participating teams. The costs include course installation,  EMT, portapotties, and Insurance. We'll divide costs by the number of competitors. We run a VERY low cost regatta that generates no profit.

            If you are planning on attending, please send me a quick confirmation note. I will send a more targeted email in the next few days soliciting entries.

            I will distribute a coaches poll the Sunday prior to the race to include recent results.

            Thanks,

            Dan Newman
            Men's Varsity Coach
            Capital City Rowing
            850.321.0738

            Windows Live™ SkyDrive: Get 25 GB of free online storage. Check it out.
          • Brett Tillotson
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 25, 2011
              If you're planning on attending the Florida Sprints League Championship on April 16th in Sarasota, please send me an email along with your probable entries by Tuesday the 29th .  As a reminder, the categories are 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and open 8s and an open 4.

              Thanks,

              Brett Tillotson
              Head Coach
              Capital City Rowing