Coxswain Clinic

  • Bertossa, Daniel
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 3, 2000
      Calling all Coxswains

      Reade Palmer will travel to Central Florida again this year to conduct a coxswain clinic for all interested high school, collegiate and club coxswains and coaches.  The clinic is set for Saturday December 2, 2000 at Rollins College.

      Reade is a graduate of Winter Park High School and Temple University and is currently coaching the Villanova University Varsity Men’s Crew.  Reade twice competed at the Junior World Championships coxing the 4 at the ’94 Worlds in Germany and led the 8 to a silver medal at the ’95 Worlds in Poland.  He also coxed the ’99 Nations Cup 8 to a gold medal.

      This is the second year that Reade has conducted a Florida clinic and last year’s participants gave rave reviews.  Those that were in attendance last year are welcome to return – you are certain to pick up many more helpful tips.

      The cost of the clinic is $20 per person.  The Florida Scholastic Rowing Association has agreed to incur the cost for all high school coxswains.  The cost includes lunch and a current edition of USRowing Rules of Racing for each participant.  The clinic will begin at 9:00 am and end at 4:00 pm with an hour lunch break.  During the break, Reade will be available for a roundtable discussion with coaches to share tips on how to coach coxswains.

      Directions to Rollins College and other details will be sent via e-mail to the FSRA e-group in late November.  If you are interested and are not part of the FSRA group or if you have any questions regarding the clinic, contact Dan Bertossa.

      Mark your calendars now; you are guaranteed to learn something to make your crew faster.

    • Charles Huthmaker
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 8, 2001
        Hello fellow Coaches and Rowers,

        I would like to host a coxswain clinic on Sunday February 25. There would
        be no cost to anyone, except for your own travel expenses of course.

        When: Sunday Feb 25 9am-12pm
        Where: Stetson University
        Who: All colleges and High schools invited
        Why: Safety, boat handling and Rules of Racing

        Instructors will be several area coaches and referees. It will be all
        classroom material, no on the water training. Coaches are asked to
        immediately practice some of the concepts the next 2-3practices. If you
        are interested, please contact me soon. This is the only real time left
        before racing really starts. The 17-18 is Daytona 500 and the area is
        packed with gridlock on the Interstates.

        Charles

        Charles Huthmaker
        Head Women's Crew Coach
        Stetson University
        421 N. Woodland Blvd. #8359
        DeLand, FL 32720
        Office 904-822-8102
        Fax 904-822-8148
        Home 904-736-6378
        Cell 904-747-1194
      • Charles Huthmaker
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 16, 2001
          Hello all,

          On Saturday Sept. 15 I will be hosting a Coxswain Clinic. It is
          outstanding for beginning cosxwains and a good refresher for returning
          coxswains. High school, college and club coxes and coaches invited.

          When: Saturday Sept 15
          Time: 10am-2:30pm
          Cost: $5/person (coaches and coxes) includes lunch
          Subjects include: steering, boat manuevering, commands, safety, drills,
          running practice, RULES OF RACING, and more.
          Coach: Charles Huthmaker, Director of Rowing and Women's Coach
          Location: Stetson University
          RSVP by Sept. 13

          Charles Huthmaker
          Head Women's Crew Coach
          Stetson University
          421 N. Woodland Blvd. #8359
          DeLand, FL 32720
          Office 904-822-8102
          Fax 904-822-8148
          Home 904-736-6378
          Cell 904-747-1194
        • Charles Huthmaker
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 14, 2001
            Greetings everyone,

            Saturday's coxswain clinic must be postponed for 2 reasons, a Tropical
            Storm is about to hit Central Florida and my grandmother died last night
            and I must attend the funeral on Saturday at 10 am in Jackson,Miss.

            The make up date is Sun. Sept. 23rd at 3:30pm. Location is still the same.
            This time dinner will be provided.

            I am sorry about the change and the strange time but the next 3 weekends I
            have 3 USRowing Coaching Clinics to run. We will have the Cox Clinic
            right after the Level I Clinic finishes on Sunday the 23rd. We should be
            done by about 8pm.

            Please re register as some people may or may not be able to attend. Listed
            below is the reservations I had.

            TEAM #COXES
            Rollins 8-10
            Boone-men 3
            Boone-women 3
            Hillsborough High 4
            Stetson 6
            Episcopal 1-3
            Lake Brantley 4
            JRC 1

            Thank you for your understanding in this sudden change.

            Charles

            Charles Huthmaker
            Head Women's Crew Coach
            Stetson University
            421 N. Woodland Blvd. #8359
            DeLand, FL 32720
            Office 904-822-8102
            Fax 904-822-8148
            Home 904-736-6378
            Cell 904-747-1194
          • Charles Huthmaker
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 9, 2002
              There will be a coxswain clinic held on Saturday Sept. 28 at Stetson
              University. For details go to the Stetson Crew Website

              All ages are welcome

              http://www.stetson.edu/offices/athletics/crew/index.htm

              Charles Huthmaker
              Head Women's Crew Coach
              Stetson University
              421 N. Woodland Blvd. #8359
              DeLand, FL 32720
              Office 904-822-8102
              Fax 904-822-8148
              Home 904-736-6378
              Cell 904-747-1194
            • Charles Huthmaker
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 5, 2003
                There will be an advanced Coxswain Clinic hosted at Stetson University on
                Saturday, February 15th from 12:30-3:30 pm.

                Coxswain Clinician: Josh Fien-Helfman- Current head coach at Pinecrest HS.
                Josh is a former Varsity Coxswain at Princeton University where he won
                numerous medals at EARC sprints and the IRA National Championships. He is
                also a Gold medal winner at the World Championships in the USA Men's
                Lightweight 8. Josh will be speaking on Advanced boat handling,
                communication, motivation and racing.

                USRowing Judge-Referee Clinician: Charles Huthmaker- Current Director of
                Rowing at Stetson University. Charles is a certified USRowing Level 1 and 2
                clinician and Licensed Judge-Referee. He will be speaking on race course
                etiquette and the Rules of Racing.

                Cost is $10/person and is open to HS, college and masters coxswains and
                coaches. For more information go to Stetson Crew's Web page for directions.

                Charles Huthmaker
                Stetson University
                Head Women's Coach
                421 N. Woodland Blvd. #8359
                DeLand, FL 32723
                Cell: 386-747-1194
                Office: 386-822-8102
                Fax: 386-822-8148
              • Charles Huthmaker
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 20, 2003
                  WHAT: 4th Annual Basic/Intermediate Coxswain Clinic
                  WHERE: Stetson University
                  WHEN: Saturday Sept. 20
                  FOR MORE INFORMATION:
                  http://www.stetson.edu/offices/athletics/crew/index.htm

                  Charles Huthmaker
                  Stetson University
                  Head Women's Coach
                  421 N. Woodland Blvd. #8359
                  DeLand, FL 32723
                  Cell: 386-747-1194
                  Office: 386-822-8102
                  Fax: 386-822-8148
                  http://www.stetson.edu/offices/athletics/index.htm
                • Charles Huthmaker
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 4, 2004
                    Coxswain Clinic

                    Just a reminder about the Advanced Coxswain Clinic this weekend.  The directions and times have been posted on the Stetson Crew Web page.  The location is in the Wilson Center adjacent to the Edmunds Center Gymnasium.  For those of you that attended the fall clinic this is a different location and actually easier to find.  We have close to 20 people signed up already.

                    Click here for more info.  http://www.stetson.edu/athletics/crew/info/index.htm

                    Charles Huthmaker
                    Stetson University
                    Head Coach