RE: [FSP_DFW] Favorite Books

  • Devera Morgan
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 12, 2005

      At 08:49 PM 3/11/2005, Shaky Ray wrote:

      >If you could recommend 1 book to someone to help them
      >understand libertarianism, what book would it be?
      style='color:navy'>

      This one is written from a Sci-Fi point of view. But the principles are still there. I consider it the top Libertarian fiction I’ve ever read. I haven’t read any non-fiction on the subject. I think this would be a good introduction (contemplate the possibilities) for someone interested in the concept, or wanting to know more.

      The Probability Broach
      by L. Neil Smith

      Product Description:

      Denver detective Win Bear, on the trail of a murderer, discovers much more than a killer. He accidentally stumbles upon the probability broach, a portal to a myriad of worlds--some wildly different from, others disconcertingly similar to our own. Win finds himself transported to an alternate Earth where Congress is in Colorado , everyone carries a gun, there are gorillas in the Senate, and public services are controlled by private businesses.

      Editorial Reviews

      Review

      "Contained ideas I wish could be shouted to the world, ideas that come from the American heritage of freedom and which could bring still greater individual liberty, greater technical progress."--Vernor Vinge, author of A Deepness in the Sky

      "Pick up a new copy of the book and rediscover this exciting world, and reserve me a table at Meep's Texas Barbecue."--Prometheus

    • RB
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 12, 2005
        Anarchy, State and Utopia.