Re: A Plea for Action

  • Skip
    Message 1 of 3 , May 18, 2004
      Well said, Kat. It would be nice if you could get some version of
      that into a newspaper as a guest op-ed piece.

      I tell people about the FSP and what we are trying to accomplish
      fairly regularly, whenever the opportunity presents itself. I wear
      my FSP cap and t-shirts to help create such opportunities, or at
      least to serve as a reminder to myself of what I value, and I express
      myself in ways that I hope will elicit interest and inquiry.

      Some people sympathize or agree with me, and some even agree to check
      out the website. None that I have referred, I think, have joined.
      Most think I'm nuts, especially when I tell them that I'm actually
      going to "move" to New Hampshire to try to achieve my goals. They
      are so jaded. They think there is no point.

      Some people vehemently oppose the ideas I express, most especially
      the conservatives. That could be because I tend to come off as not
      just socially liberal and anti-statist, but also anti-Bush, an
      attitude I won't apologize for. I'm sure I'll be perceived as anti-
      Kerry too, if and when.

      Even the people who know me best, my own family members, think I'm
      nuts. I tell you, most people don't see any problem with the status
      quo. They don't see the encroachment of the police state, nibbling
      away at their civil liberties, or they simply discount what they see,
      and ignore it like an Ostrich with its head in the sand. They think
      that people who demand their civil liberties be respected must be up
      to no good. They cast aspersions on your character, calling you
      dirty names like "liberal", if you say you think we have no business
      in Iraq, or that the government has no right to demand that you prove
      your identity to them, or that Bush is a profligate spender and the
      antithesis of the Republican ideal of small government. They see no
      harm in requiring all airline passengers to be fully identified,
      cross-checked against no fly lists and government databases, being
      viewed with suspicion all the time, interrogated for any reason, and
      being subject to invasive searches and detention. They'd rather
      be "safe", or have the illusion of safety, than be free. I rather
      suspect most Americans these days would have little serious objection
      to the imposition of a national id.

      Frankly, I don't know how to counter the blindness. Most people buy
      into a fairy tale concept of what America is and what it represents,
      without ever critically examining the reality that is continually
      served up to them. What really gets me is that some people I know
      who pound their chests the most, strongly affirming their patriotism
      and love for America, freedom, and individuality, are the very ones
      who advocate more and more government control and intervention in our
      lives, applauding everything from the Iraq war, to harsh border
      control policies, to the death penalty, to "family friendly"
      broadcast standards, etc. I think they believe that "freedom" means
      doing just what the government says you can do.

      Skip.

      --- In FSP_DFW@yahoogroups.com, Kat Dillon <bookish_lass@y...> wrote:
      > I'm a very quiet person, and consequently, I spend a lot of time
      observing.
      > I watch people. I read the news. I listen. It's not a pretty
      picture out
      > there.
      >
      > Here's a question for you: Why are you here? There was something
      to drove
      > you to making a drastic move against government encroachment. What
      was it?
      > Why did you join the Free State Project? Apparently it was
      important enough
      > for you to pledge to move. Was it important enough that you would
      go out and
      > tell more people about the FSP? Was it important enough that you
      would go
      > out and recruit 3 new people? I think it's not only important,
      it's vitally
      > urgent. I think our government is quickly changing from an enormous
      > all-engulfing bureaucracy into a most frightening tyranny. Time is
      running
      > out to do something, anything, to stop it.
      >
      > The Davidians and their children were burned alive, for what? For
      running a
      > legal gun business? For their religious views? For standing up
      against
      > government tyranny? There is not and never will be a public outcry
      against
      > this from the general public. They believe what they are told by
      the media.
      > And the media seem to tell only the government approved version of
      events.

      > Prisoners in Iraq and apparently Afghanistan are tortured by our
      troops.
      > This was apparently done with either the approval of the executive
      branch, or
      > at least a willingness to turn a blind eye. These are the same
      people
      > willing to put terrorists in prison without any recourse to due
      process. No
      > lawyers, no charges, no chance of release. These are the same
      people who are
      > willing to make the definition of terrorist so broad that anyone
      can be named
      > terrorist. So exactly how long before we're torturing citizens in
      prisons
      > here?
      >
      > I hear on talk radio calls for the draft. Even such places as
      worldnetdaily,
      > which is at times suspicious of government encroachment, seems to
      be calling
      > for the draft. I was astounded to see one of their polls where the
      majority
      > of people were in favor of it. The general public is being prepped
      to accept
      > this involuntary servitude. I'm not prepared to give up the life
      of my child
      > to bring democracy (mob rule) to Iraq. Or Syria. Or Iran. Or
      North Korea.

      > The economy is downright frightening. George W. is spending like
      there's no
      > tomorrow. The value of the dollar continues to fall against foreign
      > currencies. Wholesale prices are increasing - an indication that
      the
      > government is printing so much money, it is worth less, can buy
      less.
      > Businesses cannot operate reliably when the law is so screwed up
      that at any
      > moment, their livelihoods could become illegal, so of course
      they're moving
      > offshore. Will selling fattening foods be illegal soon? Tobacco?
      The nanny
      > state is driving this once thriving nation into poverty.
      >
      > Unfortunately, these are only a few of the examples of why it is so
      urgent to
      > act now.
      >
      > Recruit like your lives depend upon it, because they may.
      >
      > Kat Dillon

      > This is Not the Country
      >
      > This is not the country I once thought we lived in
      > This is the country where
      > Wars of aggression fought for reasons undisclosed
      > Prisoners of wars tortured, humiliated
      > Any can be named terrorist, locked up, no recourse
      >
      > This is not the country I once thought we lived in
      > This is the country where
      > Davidians and their children burned alive
      > Little old ladies handcuffed, tasered
      > The ill imprisoned, the crime: drugging their pain
      >
      > This is not the country I once thought we lived in
      > This is the country where
      > The president makes laws, just like a king
      > Land, property taken by force of arms
      > The Constitution now a living, ignored document
      >
      > This is not the country I once thought we lived in
      > This is the country where
      > Young girls are strip-searched for drugs
      > Children are taught of world sovereignty
      > Whatever feels good is right, proper
      >
      > This is not the country I once thought we lived in
      > This is the country where
      > Forgotten are Henry's brave words, liberty or death
      > None remember Washington's battle valor
      > Freedom's sacrifice, neither recalled nor appreciated
      >
      > This is not the country I once thought we lived in
      > Is that country forever gone?
      >

      > =====
      > --Free State Project http://www.freestateproject.org/
      > ***Omnium rerum principia parva sunt.***

      > http://promo.yahoo.com/sbc/
    • Alan Robert Weiss
      Message 2 of 3 , May 19, 2004
        Dear Fellow Texan Porcupines.

        Katherine Dillon speaks the truth.  These are dreadful times, literally, in that we all must feel even a little "dread" at what is going on in the world.

        We can not save the world - not yet.  We may not be able to save this country in the short term.

        But we CAN start by saving one place, one state, from the ravages of this grinding, incessant, nauseating march of statism, lies, and CONTROL.

        We CAN get more involved with the Free State Project, and make a real difference in our own lives, the lives of our loved ones, and build lasting friendships (I've made so many really good friends in the FSP).

        I am now the Vice President of the Free State Project, and I'm proud to represent Texas and our unique Texan culture which brings so much to the table, so much that is useful and good.  I have come to enjoy Tim Condon's laconic Floridian perspective, Steve Cobb's worldwide traveler viewpoints, Rich Tomosso's New England practicality, Keith Murphy's Baltimorean common sense, Karen Pratt's soft-spoken genius, and all of the other unique individuals in the FSP.

        If you get involved, you'll get to meet them and our incredibly energetic and brilliant President, Amanda Phillips - not to mention our Founder, the ever-calm and reasoned Dr. Jason Sorens.  We have awesome talent here in Texas, too - our pioneering spirit is very much fresh compared to much of the rest of the country, but this spirit tends to live on in those involved in the Free State Project no where you currently live.   Wouldn't it be amazing to make friends from all over the country who have this same spirit?

        Involvement. Activism.  It takes only a couple of hours a week.   There are 168 hours in a week.  Can you spare a couple of them to not just TALK about liberty - but IMPLEMENT it?

        Take a moment.  Survey your friends, your other family members.  Do you want them live free?  Do you want to be around them in New Hampshire?  Do you want to build a network, a community, of people who are rational, unafraid of liberty, tolerant of diversity, people who help each other out voluntarily?

        I will be attending the Libertarian Party National Convention in Atlanta as a Delagate from Texas, and I'm organzing (with the help of FSP members) the "FSP at the LP Convention" effort.  Its been a team effort all the way, so if y'all are going to be there, please be sure to stop by and say howdy.

        Lets plan an All Texas Porcupine Day someplace between Dallas-Ft. Worth, Austin, and Houston soon!
        Yours in Liberty,

        Alan R. Weiss
        FSP Participant and Vice President

        --
        Alan R. Weiss
        President and CEO

        ECL: EEMBC Benchmark Certifications, Benchmark Development, Support

        Synchromesh Computing:  Benchmark Studies, Software Testing,
          Product Analysis (Impressions and Consulting), Development Services

        This message is for the sole use of the intended recipient and may contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of the original message.