DFW FSP 2/22 Meeting Notes

  • Kat Dillon
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 23, 2004
      In attendance Kat, Skip, Rick, Carol, Bruce, David, Joey, Ian, Austin, Trey,
      Mark, Richard, Becka, Lauren, Gaby

      The FSP leadership has determined that the most effective recruitment method
      has been word of mouth. So following along with that thinking, we were
      discussing how to get the word out. It was suggested that we attend local
      political events to hand out literature and talk to people about the FSP.

      Since the Texas Democratic presidential primaries are coming up on March 9th,
      it would be an excellent opportunity for some publicity, assuming the
      candidates visit Texas. http//www.johnkerry.com/events/ does not list
      Kerry's schedule past the next couple of weeks, but we should be able to find
      out soon if he's visiting the area. If we protest his speech, we could get
      the word out to other protesters and possibly get some news coverage. We
      would need to have a bunch of FSP brochures printed out. Trey has
      volunteered to do some of this. Anyone else? Also, I think we could come up
      with some great signs for the protest...perhaps something about how Kerry
      wants to raise taxes. Ideas on that? I think we could really have fun with
      that part! Richard has volunteered to put some signs together and I know
      that Joey is also in the sign making "business".

      Any other ideas about local political events we could attend?

      Joey's run for Midlothian school board need our help. David told us about an
      advertising technique that is supposed to be very effective. When Joey sends
      out letters to voters, if the envelopes are hand addressed, they are more
      likely to be opened and considered. Joey has a list of about 1,000 potential
      supporters. If each of us did a few envelopes a day, we could get them all
      addressed for him. Joey will provide the list of names at the next meeting.
      He still needs funds for signs and postage.

      Also, there will be a candidate's forum in early May that Joey would like us
      to attend. Details on the forum coming in the next few weeks. The election
      is May 15th.

      The new DFW group website ( http//www.texasfsp.org/ ) looks great! Thanks
      Mark for setting that up! Who is going to be keeping the site updated? I
      know Trey, Bruce and myself all expressed interest in updating.

      I said I'd send y'all the links about why I decided I'd never pledge
      allegiance to the flag again
      http//www.lewrockwell.com/dilorenzo/dilorenzo54.html
      http//www.lewrockwell.com/wallace/wallace139.html
      http//history.vineyard.net//pledge.htm

      Finally, if anyone wants direct email notifying you of DFW FSP
      events/meetings, please just let me know (bookish_lass at yahoo.com) and I'll
      add you to my list.

      http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools