Meeting Notes, Jan. 10, 2004

  • Kat
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 11, 2004
      Meeting Notes, DFW FSP meeting, 01/10/04

      In attendance: Kat Dillon, David Ridley, Joey Daubin, Trey Summitt,
      Holland Vandennieuwenhof, Krista Williams, Joseph Hill, Elle Larkin,
      Andrew Larkin, Stephen Schreder.

      FSP Publicity/Recruitment

      Trey Summit suggested as a publicity stunt, we should set up a "Walk
      to New Hampshire". Volunteers for the project would coordinate their
      moves to NH and arrange to walk there. People would be added to the
      walk at various cities along the way. In the past when people have
      done this for publicity, they have gotten a lot of attention from the
      press.

      A suggestion was made to follow Dallas Mayor Laura Miller around,
      protesting most everything she does. (Sorry, I didn't hear who
      initially suggested this.) Mayor Miller is a prime example of an
      anti-liberty politician. The local media would be likely to want to
      cover these protests.

      Holland Vandennieuwenhof suggested a bake sale to increase FSP
      publicity (and funds). His restaurant could help with the food. Are
      there any local churches that members are involved in where such a
      sale could take place?

      Holland also said he works with a man who a PR expert. He will ask
      this man for suggestions for FSP publicity.

      David Ridley shared his one man recruitment technique. Whenever the
      FSP does something newsworthy, he makes sure it's posted on every
      online news group he's associated with. Seems like something easy we
      all could do.

      Next week the Dallas City Council is voting on a Patriot Act ban.
      It'd be good if we supported this cause, and it might be useful to
      hand out FSP literature while at the council meeting. Also, attending
      the city council meeting regularly might afford an opportunity to get
      some FSP publicity.

      Other Discussion of Interest

      David Ridley has suggested we boycott anti-gun restaurants for our
      meetings. Apparently both Friday's and Texas Land and Cattle have
      anti-gun policies.

      Joey Daubin has suggested we have more formal meetings. To this end,
      I'm posting meeting notes. A summary for the public will be published
      in the Ellis County Press (http://www.elliscountypress.com/) every
      couple of weeks.

      We had an official (ahem) vote to hold meetings on the 1st and 3rd
      Saturdays of the month. The 3rd Saturday will be the business meeting.

      A word of warning to FSP members 18-25: the draft is likely to be
      reinstated after the November election.

      Stephen Schreder is running for the Texas House of Representatives,
      6th district (my district, yay!) on the Libertarian ticket.

      Joey Daubin has requested help protesting the strip searching of
      children for drugs at Waxahachie MIDDLE school. Joey will notify us
      when any additional picketing is scheduled.

      We have decided to set up a webpage for the DFW FSP. Joseph Hill has
      volunteered to get the domain set up. Trey Summitt made tentative
      noises about doing the webpage design. The webpage is to help
      coordinate local activities and show outreach results.
    • Joey Dauben
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 11, 2004
        Kat, whatever you do, don't send those meeting notes in to the paper; you
        can send the notes without my name, and in future stories, don't put my name
        in there; I've been written up a bit the past few months with our online
        forum debacle and other stuff.

        I don't want it to seem like I'm "co-opting" the newspaper for myself :)

        AIM: joey75154
        Yahoo: joey_dauben
        Forum: http://www.voy.com/168601

        Joey Dauben
        Reporter/Photographer
        The Ellis County Press
        213 W. 6th St.
        Ferris, TX 75125

        Work: 972-544-2369
        Fax: 972-544-8150
        http://www.elliscountypress.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 12, 2004
          Oh sorry about putting your name in. I had never intended to send that to
          the paper.

          sentto-9495833-462-1073847796-joeydauben=hotmail.com@...

        • gsp76@nts-online.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 12, 2004

            maybe bicycling....  LOL   And I'd wait.  We are having a heat wave up here today.  It's 26degrees!

            c.

            On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 19:02 , Kat <bookish_lass@...> sent:

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            --- Msg sent via NTS-Mail - http://www.nts-online.net/