Vt. Town Wants to Secede to New Hampshire

  • hilljoem
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 9, 2004
      Okay, I found this to be too good to be true. I'm sure you'll be
      seeing / hearing more about it, but I wanted to be first to note it. =)

      I'm off to check out the chatter in their forums (through the
      "Post/Read Msgs" link at the bottome of the article...)

      Enjoy,
      Joseph Hill

      From
      http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=519&ncid=519&e=14&u=/ap/200=
      40109/ap_on_re_us/vermont_town_secession

      Original article text:

      Vt. Town Wants to Secede to New Hampshire

      Fri Jan 9, 9:30 AM ET

      Add U.S. National - AP to My Yahoo!

      KILLINGTON, Vt. - Officials in the popular ski resort area of
      Killington want the town to secede from Vermont and join neighboring
      New Hampshire in a dispute over taxes.

      They say the town's restaurants, inns and other businesses send $10
      million a year to the state capital in sales, room and meal taxes, but
      the state returns just $1 million in state aid to Killington.

      Even more galling to the town is a statewide property tax imposed in
      1997 to fund schools. The town of 1,092 won a Superior Court order
      that called the state's method of assessing local properties
      "arbitrary and capricious," but the state Supreme Court reversed that
      decision.

      "It kind of reminds us of Colonial days," Town Manager David Lewis
      said Thursday. "The Colonies were being faced with the Stamp Act, the
      Tea Act, the Sugar Act. England wasn't giving them any rights. They
      were treating the Colonies as just a revenue source."

      New Hampshire, just 25 miles east, has no income tax or sales tax.

      Killington's Select Board wants to put the secession idea before
      voters on Town Meeting Day in March.

      Secretary of State Deborah Markowitz said Killington has little chance
      of secession "absent an armed insurrection type of thing. ... A town
      is a construction of the state and exists at the pleasure of the
      Legislature."

      New Hampshire Deputy Secretary of State David Scanlan said he would be
      flattered if Vermont wanted to join New Hampshire — but he's not
      making any promises.

      In Killington, not everyone likes the idea.

      "I love having a Vermont address. I'm proud of it. It's a cool place
      to live," said resident Steven Kelly.