Re: [FSP_DFW] RE: [RLC_DFW] BORDC Greater Dallas USA PATRIOT Act Update

  • Holland Vandennieuwenhof
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 16, 2003

      This is Holland.  My girl and I plan on attending the City Council Meeting to support a PATRIOT USA Act (you know a law is bad when they use marketing language for its name) refutation.  We attended a BORDC-GD meeting a couple of months ago and weren't too impressed.  They appeared to be mostly law students bucking for extra credit.  And although I think the chances for a refutation being passed are slim, we will be there to support it and to hear the arguments.

      Even though "progressive" Austin did pass a res against the PUSA Act, a couple of spineless dems on the city council had the language referring to the act as unconstitutional removed for its passage.  And of course there was no provision ordering law enforcement not to cooperate.  So while these resolutions are worthwhile as propaganda value, most have no teeth.  There is a town in California that passed an ordinance stipulating a 50 dollar fine for any local official who cooperated with fed authorities in execution of PUSA Act powers, however.

      By the way, we will be dressed up as we will already be downtown to attend the bond hearing of a person who is being victimized by post- 9/11 immigration enforcement.  Poor guy will probaly be deported, but for right now we are just trying to get him out of jail, where he is being held without any criminal charges simply because he is an alien resident and therefore is not protected by what few constitutional rights we citizens have left.

      See ya there,

      Holland O. Van den Nieuwenhof

      flipthestate@...