RE: [FSP_DFW] Digest Number 344

  • Will Albenzi
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 2005
      I swear to support and defend the constitution of the United States against
      all enemies, foreign and domestic. So What?

      Am I un-American because I love my local Mexican food restaurant? What
      about taking Tai-Chi, Allen? Is that American? Is it un-American to think
      that I might learn something from a different culture? How about learning
      foreign languages, is that un-American, or *gasp* learning aspects of other
      cultures that I may try to live and promote here? Does it seem un-American
      to you?

      Maybe the free market of ideas will allow the best of them to shine forth
      like a light on a hill. A pretty smart guy said something like that once.

      Shalom
      Will Albenzi
    • Allan Hampton
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1 2:32 AM

        Excerpt from: The Revolt Against Civilization

        The Menace of the Under Man

        By

        LOTHRUP STODDARD, A.M., PH.D (Harvard)

        Copyright 1922, Charles Scribner's Sons

        "Such is our racial balance-sheet. And, be it remembered: our civilization, unlike its predecessors, cannot shift the burden to other shoulders, because there are no more untapped "racial reserves." No "noble barbarians" wait to step forward as in the past; the barbarians and savages who still remain in the world are demonstrably of inferior caliber and can contribute little or nothing to the progress of civilization.

          If, then, our civilization is to survive, it must conserve and foster its own race values. Happily our civilization possesses two great advantages over past times: scientific knowledge and the scientific spirit. To us have been revealed secrets of life our forebears never knew. And to us has been vouchsafed a passion for the truth such as the world has never seen. Other ages have sought truth from the lips of seers and prophets; our age seeks it from scientific proof. Other ages have had their saints and martyrs -- dauntless souls who clung to the faith with unshakeable constancy. Yet our age has also had its saints and martyrs -- heroes who can not only face death for their faith, but who can also scrap their faith when facts have proved it wrong. There, indeed, is courage! And therein lies our hope.

        This matchless love of truth, this spirit of science which combines knowledge and faith in the synthesis of a higher wisdom, as yet inspires only the elite of our time. Most of us are still more or less under the spell of the past -- the spell of passion, prejudice, and unreason. It is thus that ideas and ideals clearly disproved by science yet claim the allegiance of multitudes of worthy men.

           The dead hand of false doctrines and fallacious hopes lies, indeed, heavy upon us. Laws, institutions, customs, ideas, and ideals are all stamped deep with its imprint. Our very minds and souls are imbued with delusions like environmentalism and "natural equality" from whose emotional grip it is hard to escape. Mighty as is the new truth, our eyes are yet blinded to its full meaning, our hearts shrink instinctively from its wider implications, and our feet falter on the path to higher destinies.

         These reactionary forces stubbornly impede the progress of those deep-going eugenic reforms which must speedily be undertaken if our civilization is to be saved from decline and our race from decay.

         This is serious enough. But there is something more serious still. The reactionary forces which we have just described, though, powerful, are, after all, essentially negative in character. With the spread of enlightenment they would soon wither -- if they stood alone. But they do not stand alone. Behind them, sheltered by them, lurks a positive, aggressive force: The Under-Man!

         The Under-Man is unconvertible. He will not bow to the new truth, because he knows that the new truth is not for him. Why should he work for a higher civilization, when even the present civilization is beyond his powers? What the Under-Man wants is, not progress, but regress -- regress to more primitive conditions in which he would be at home. In fact, the more he grasps the significance of the new eugenic truth, the uglier grows his mood. So long as all men believed all men potentially equal, the Under-Man could delude himself into thinking that changed circumstances might rise him to the top. Now that nature herself proclaims him irremediably inferior, his hatred of superiority knows no bounds.

          This hatred he has always instinctively felt. Envy and resentment of superiority have ever been the badges of base minds. Yet never have these badges been so fiercely flaunted, so defiantly worn, as to-day. This explains the seeming paradox that, just when the character of superiority becomes supremely manifest, the cry for leveling "equality" rises supremely shrill. The Under-Man revolts against progress! Nature herself having decreed him uncivilizable, the Under-Man declares war on civilization.

         These are not pretty facts. But we had better face them, lest they face us, and catch us unawares. Let us, then, understand once and for all that we have among us a rebel army -- the vast host of the unadaptable, the incapable, the envious, the discontented, filled with instinctive hatred of civilization and progress, and ready on the instant to rise in revolt. Here are foes that need watching. Let us watch them."

        Allan