weathering a picture on a wood or hydrocal wall

  • tylerr4u67
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 6, 2004
      I have seen picture ads on HO structures that blend in
      with a weathered look to the point of seeing the brick
      under the pic.
      I have done white on black and black on white lettering but
      am stumped on how to take a actual color picture and transfer it
      onto a wall (kind of like when I was a kid we put on tatoos that
      you had to get wet first)
      if anyone can help PLEASE let me know
      Bryan
    • Darryl Huffman
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 7, 2004
        Bryan,

        The basic idea is to take a paper sign and sand the back side carefully
        until the sign is ready to tear. Then douse your wall with thinned down
        Elmer's Glue and lay your sign on this. Apply a little more thinned Elmer's
        to the front of the sign.

        Then press it down so as to displace the glue mixture under the sign.

        Then run your fingernail along the grooves in the brick surface to really
        snuggle the sign down onto the surface of the wall.

        Let dry throroughly. Then LIGHTLY sand the surface of the sign so the brick
        just begins to show through in a few areas.

        Then lightly apply your favorite ink/alcohol stain to tone down and blend
        the colors.

        Let dry. And then see if that is what you want.

        Darryl Huffman
        Anchorage, Alaska

        Check out my web page at www.darrylhuffman.50megs.com/photo5.html for photos
        of models of old buildings placed in a realistic setting.
      • smason2@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 7, 2004
          Hi Folks,
          Occassionally, I dry brush a little of the same color I used for the brick over the sign to get that worn through effect. I use the same technique that I use for highlighting clapboards...just lightly hit the surface of the brick with the brush.
          Scott Mason

          > Darryl - You ARE the man. thanks for the info. I too have wondered
          > about this tech. thanks again Frank
          >
          > Darryl Huffman wrote:
          >
          > >Bryan,
          > >
          > >The basic idea is to take a paper sign and sand the back side carefully
          > >until the sign is ready to tear. Then douse your wall with thinned down
          > >Elmer's Glue and lay your sign on this. Apply a little more thinned Elmer's
          > >to the front of the sign.
          > >
          > >Then press it down so as to displace the glue mixture under the sign.
          > >
          > >Then run your fingernail along the grooves in the brick surface to really
          > >snuggle the sign down onto the surface of the wall.
          > >
          > >Let dry throroughly. Then LIGHTLY sand the surface of the sign so the brick
          > >just begins to show through in a few areas.
          > >
          > >Then lightly apply your favorite ink/alcohol stain to tone down and blend
          > >the colors.
          > >
          > >Let dry. And then see if that is what you want.
          > >
          > >Darryl Huffman
          > >Anchorage, Alaska
          > >
          > >Check out my web page at www.darrylhuffman.50megs.com/photo5.html for photos
          > >of models of old buildings placed in a realistic setting.

        • Bert Greeley
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 7, 2004
            Darryl wrote -

            Then run your fingernail along the grooves in the brick surface to really
            snuggle the sign down onto the surface of the wall.
            I have tried this technique, but I keep tearing the paper with my nails. I
            have found it safer to use an old cuticle-pusher-thingy (ask your wife,
            that's where I stole - oops, I mean 'borrowed', mine from) as a burnisher.
            This is an old, antique stainless thing with a small half-dome on one end,
            and a half-cone on the other. The center section is knurled for a better
            grip, and it's about 4" long.
            Bert
          • Darryl Huffman
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 7, 2004
              Thanks, Scott. I forgot that step.

              For a better supply of advertisements to use on walls, I download images
              from the internet and print them on onion skin paper using waterproof inks
              in my Epson C84 printer.

              If you go to the FILES section of the finescaleminiatures group

              You will find a file named ADVERTISEMENTS FOR SIGNS

              This file is a collection of URLs that will take you to hundreds and
              hundreds of great signs.

              Another excellent source of signs is the book: Antique & Contemporary
              Advertising Memorabilia by B.J. Summers. This book is 407 pages long.

              This link will take you to a copy for 15.95:

              http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=124353492

              A great book with approximately 1,200 great signs.

              Darryl Huffman
              Anchorage, Alaska

              Check out my web page at www.darrylhuffman.50megs.com/photo5.html for photos
              of models of old buildings placed in a realistic setting.
              > Occassionally, I dry brush a little of the same color I used for the brick
              over the sign to get that worn through effect. I use the same technique that
              I use for highlighting clapboards...just lightly hit the surface of the
              brick with the brush.
              > Scott Mason
            • Darryl Huffman

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 7, 2004
                  Bert,

                  You are right, of course. So much of what we do is a matter of personal
                  touch.

                  Running a fingernail along a groove seems like a sweeping action. But
                  that's not what I do either.

                  I use a paper towel folded over a couple of times to push the sign down onto
                  the surface, mainly to absorb some of the extra glue. I then try to mop up
                  a little more with the tissue.

                  I find this whole thing works better with smaller signs. Large ones can get
                  distorted.

                  I work from the top down when getting the sign to settle in. I am actually
                  fond of using a #11 Xacto blade or a single edge razor for pushing the sign
                  into the grooves. If it cuts the paper, that's ok to me.

                  Certain brick walls in HO are pretty hard to do this with. I find I need a
                  surface with a certain degree of depth in order to make this worthwhile.

                  But I really prefer board by board over brick or stone. With board by
                  board, you put the sign on and follow up with a definite slicing of the
                  paper between boards.

                  I think it would be great to sit down with some of you guys and just build
                  models together. Back in the 1970s, there were a group of about 5 of us who
                  got together every Saturday night at my house to build models. We each
                  brought along whatever we had been working on. These 5 guys were the same
                  ones who sort of lived in my hobby shop every night.

                  I had a counter along one side of the shop that I sat behind. On the
                  customer side was a row of bar stools, all occupied by people building
                  models. A lot of great models were built in the store back in those days.
                  We sure learned alot from each other.

                  Have fun.
                  Darryl Huffman
                  Anchorage, Alaska

                  Check out my web page at www.darrylhuffman.50megs.com/photo5.html for photos
                  of models of old buildings placed in a realistic setting.
                  > Then run your fingernail along the grooves in the brick surface to really
                  > snuggle the sign down onto the surface of the wall.
                  > I have tried this technique, but I keep tearing the paper with my nails. I
                  > have found it safer to use an old cuticle-pusher-thingy (ask your wife,
                  > that's where I stole - oops, I mean 'borrowed', mine from) as a burnisher.
                  > This is an old, antique stainless thing with a small half-dome on one end,
                  > and a half-cone on the other. The center section is knurled for a better
                  > grip, and it's about 4" long.
                  > Bert
                • Frank, Val, Kim
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 8, 2004