Re: [FS32NGModelrail] RUSSIAN DIE CASTS

  • Mario Bernkopf
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 7, 2000
      Evan,

      I lived in Moscow for a few years, but never came across these items.
      However, I will try and find out a few hobby shops in East Germany,
      which might know more about this.

      Regards... Mario

      Evan & Correne James schrieb:

      > From: Evan & Correne James <bce@...>
      >
      > Here is a curly one directed at the European members of this chat group
      > Where can I find out more information of Russian made die cast models of
      > cars and trucksand where can I get them in the West, if at all. I
      > spotted some today at the business of the recent Russian emigrant, and
      > they would make ideal models in the 7mm background street scene on my
      > 9mm scale model railway.
      >
      > Cheers
      > Evan James

      > MAXIMIZE YOUR CARD, MINIMIZE YOUR RATE!
      > Apply NOW!
      >
      > Shortcut URL to this page:
      > http://www.onelist.com/community/FS32NGModelrail
    • Mike South
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 7, 2000
        Evan James wrote:

        > Here is a curly one directed at the European members of this chat
        > group
        > Where can I find out more information of Russian made die cast models
        > of
        > cars and trucksand where can I get them in the West, if at all. I
        > spotted some today at the business of the recent Russian emigrant, and
        >
        > they would make ideal models in the 7mm background street scene on my
        > 9mm scale model railway.

        Hi Evan!

        One of my other vices is Russian tramcars, both model and full size. A
        most useful site on all Russian diecasts is:

        http://www-personal.umich.edu/~kot/models.html

        This site is USA based, but an e-mail to the site's owner might well
        produce the exact info you need. Another USA-based Russian model
        railways/tramcars site you might want to investigate is Chris White's
        'Red Star Railways':

        http://www.redstarrailways.com
        email: redstarrys@...
        phone: USA (302) 736-5425.

        Chris is just getting started out in importing Russian models into North
        America (having a Russian wife definitely helps here!) and seems to have
        excellent contacts in Russian and the former Baltic republics (Latvia,
        Lithuania & Estonia). Give him a try...

        Your other source is one that advertises regularly in the British
        magazine, 'Continental Modeller':

        Kondratiev, PB 780, Sankt-Petersburg RUS-199155, Russia.

        They converse in Deutschesmarks (DM) and German, with a certain amount
        of fractured English! The latest lists I had from them last month
        feature over 50 different O-scale Russian trucks, busses and just the
        odd car (the lumpen proletariat were supposed to use their feet or take
        public transport!). They seem to be reliable folks and certainly mail
        stuff out really quickly. If you like I can fax you the road vehicle
        photos from Kondratiev's lists, although the quality of the originals
        isn't exactly the greatest (standard ex-KGB photocopier [expressly
        designed to be readable as anything you want it to be] and awful pre-war
        loo-grade paper [not that you could ever find loo paper anywhere in
        Russia!]

        Like Mario Bernkopf (Hi Mario!) I also resided in Moscow for several
        years during the 1990's, even going so far as to buy my own tiny
        apartment right downtown next to the Arbat - so much cheaper (and much
        more fun) than paying US$ 300+ a night to stay in a hotel that any third
        rate North American hotel would have been embarrassed to charge US$40
        per night for! There was always the Kempinski or the National when you
        got fed up with slumming it - at US$500+ per night (make sure somebody
        else was paying for it though!). Happy days!

        Mike South
      • Mario Bernkopf
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 7, 2000
          Yep, those were the days, Mike. Glad to be out again, but certainly was
          an exciting part of my biography.

          Speaking of Russian goodies (apart from matryoshka dolls, which actually
          are not Russian at all), I found a 1/35 Russian-made truck kit which
          might be interesting to some of you folks:

          In the Thirties and Forties The USSR produced cars and trucks following
          American blueprints. One of them was a 3-ton truck called ZIS-5, which
          to me seems to be the exact copy of a Fort AA truck from 1931. This
          truck is available for the military modelling market under the ALAN
          HOBBIES LTD. brand of St. Petersburg. I bought one in a hobby shop in
          Germany and another in Moscow. I should think that it is available
          worldwide.

          The kit is excellent, even to my Grandt-Line spoiled tastes. If anyone
          is interested, I can find out the manufacturer's address for contacting.

          Regards... Mario

        • RL1962@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 8, 2000
            Mario,
            The Russian truck you mentioned is indeed available world wide and for those
            in the States I can provide an address for a reliable mail order firm which
            sells the kit. I have two of them myself and they are truly excellent kits,
            very little molded on and lots of separate detail.

            Ray