Re: [FS32NGModelrail] Gable Bottom Side Dump Coal Wagon

    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 3, 2011
      Brian-that is a very nice car. You didn't mention as to whether it is 1:32 or 1:35 scale, but it is very neat and should please many US mining modelers since it looks like such cars found in the South West and Mexico. Good luck and keep us posted.
                              Woodie

      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 3, 2011
        Re: [FS32NGModelrail] Gable Bottom Side Dump Coal Wagon
        Frank,
        One of the biggest mistakes most modellers make is using materials that are simply too light weight. Most small wagons don't track very well especially when they have no real weight, plus the weight of this wagon allows it to flex, as the whole wagon is only held together via to 2 rods running lengthwise. If ever you have a chance to observe real wagons especially wooden wagons you will see the entire frame flexes on the timber joints as it runs along the track according to the rail surface.

        Brian Millar

        Qld.Aust.

        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 4, 2011
          Brian:

                 Of course we know each other. Fine to meet you also here.
                 As you know I am familiar with your project and waiting to read a message from you telling us the prices and how to order.
                But I am a bit surprised: I understood your plan was to cast them in brass.
                There is of course nothing wrong with good quality pewter castings but now I wander if pewter will be strong onough to do the work at the side's thin hinges.
                Please, don't misunderstand me: I like your design a lot and hope to buy two rows of them one day, and exactly because that I feel concerned.

                          Daniel

          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 4, 2011

            Daniel,
            The rod going through the hinge is .6mm thick,, the strapping is 1/16"w. x 1/64" and loops back over on the door which is 1.2mm. thick, so the hinge wall itself will be  .696875mm. [.027"] thick, which is plenty thick enough for strength, the pewter that the fellow uses that does the casting is fairly high grade pewter.
            I was never intending to cast them in brass as the cost would make it unviable.

            Brian Millar

            Qld.Aust.

            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 4, 2011

              Brian: