Re: New 1:32 Industrial Supplier

  • bileee
    Message 1 of 29 , Jul 31, 2010
      i commend you on your approach to scale gauge fidelity, while also allowing for the compromise of allowing others to gain the benefit of you providing an option for those who are committed to 16.5 gauge. i look forward to your future releases.

      kide regards
      bileee

      Message 2 of 29 , Aug 1 2:11 AM
      • 1 Attachment
      • 1 MB
      James:

          There where really a lot of 20"gauge lines arround the world. The problem is that most of them being portable railways they jumped a lot from one owner to other and also from one type of industry to another, and very little documentation is left.
         Ingenio Ledesma -a huge sugar factory in Argentina- had during it's first years an extended 164km line of 20"railay where many O&K 0-8-0 & T locos did the work.
        Attached the only picture I've seen of it.

        Photo nr. 132 of  "O&K DAMPFLOKOMOTIVEN. Lieferverzeichnis 1892-195" (ISBN3-921894-00-X) is a builder's good quality photo of  a similar loco but shown as "750mm gauge" which I believe to be an error.

                            Daniel

      actually I haven't really discussed the models with Dick at International Hobbies yet- we had a brief phone call today but it's very early days and Dick only carries prints at this time.

      Kim,

      I think you may have misinterpreted the scale/gauge combinations? Prior to WW1 18" was the 'standard' UK military gauge for trench operations, supply depots and armament factories. On top of this at least 2 major standard gauge locomotive works had 18" gauge works systems so (at my last count) there were at least 14 manufacturers producing a range of 18" gauge locomotives to supply these.

      So the scale/gauge is 1:32n18. 18" scales to 14.28mm in 1:32 scale hence the choice of Sn3 standards. Don't worry- pretty much all the 18" gauge loco's and wagons will be available in 16.5mm gauge too as will the 2 foot [prototype] gauge models.

      There are also some great 20" gauge lines out there- I know 16.5mm is actually 20.78 inches in 1:32 but what is 3/4 of an inch between friends?! Arizona Copper Company anyone?

      I should state here that as far as possible I am pursuing fidelity to actual prototypes strictly in 1:32. I'm happy to make kits available in 16.5mm gauge where possible as a way of maybe encouraging On30/ HO scale modellers to try out the scale on their existing layouts. If you are in 1:35 some of the accessories I plan should suit you fine but as far as I am concerned once you start fudging boundaries as a manufacturer you are on a slippery slope to basically doing nothing right!

      Couplings are a tricky issue but I can't bear the huge compromises needed to make everything Kadee ready. I use Kadee for my HO stuff but (as great as the system is) it isn't even true to scale in HO- let alone On30 and even further still in 1:32. I will look into a bolt on fix for Kadees as a possible extra though.

      All suggestions are welcome so thanks everyone for their input so far.

      ...watch this space...

      James

      --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, "kim marsh" <kkimmarsh@...> wrote:

      > hi james i would love to see your line,i dont think that i have seen any of your work in the past.
      > i think that is a mistake not concentrating on 16.5 gauge.i dont think anybody does 1-32n14,and thinking about it very few do 19mm gauge with 16.5 you pick up on 1-35 and 1-32 using the most common components around.with the coupling ,kadee is the most common,with the link and pin you cant have operation and seeing that you are venturing into a baby boomer market please make it easy on our old eyes.
      > personally i think it it a great market decision and wish you every sucess
      > cheers kim

    • jamesc0ldicott
      Message 3 of 29 , Aug 1 4:22 AM
        Thanks All for your responses,

        I've posted some pics of my 20" gauge models in the album named <James' models>.

        Gil,

        Dick has most of the prints but he is out of Gilpin Tram prints- he'll have new stock next week. Don't know about the models- for now they are only available from my website.

        Woodie,

        agreed- there is no current market for 18" gauge 1:32 railways but this is an untapped treasure trove of wonderful prototypes and as I said, most of the 18" gauge kits will be available in 16.5mm gauge. To my mind an 18" loco looks and feels much better on 16.5mm gauge- having said that all the 2 foot kits will be available in 19.05mm(3/4") 16.5mm and 14.02 mm gauges. I'm working on 18" and 20" gauge ready made portable track panels so it will be possible to buy a 'train set' and get running very quickly. Turnouts will take much longer but if things pan out they will come given time.

        James

        --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, Woodie Greene <mogollonry@...> wrote:

        > James-it really doesn't matter which scale/gauge you choose, I am a dedicated scratchbuilder and will go "my own way". I also know that very few are interested in US prototype models in 1:32/1:35 scale. Over these few years, I have found 1:35 figures that scale out nicely in 1:32 scale and vice/versa so I tend to use the scale(s) as I see fit. I would suggest that you consider 16.5MMÂ gauge or 3/4"(On3) gauge for rolling stock since that is what most use. 18" is cool, but few would be modeling that. Just my opinion.
      • Gil Flores
        Message 4 of 29 , Aug 1 10:49 AM
          you may be Over Seas, but your right at home when it comes to the 2 foot Vulcan, it's the hot ticket.Perfect model for two foot 1/32 scale!

          Message 5 of 29 , Aug 1 9:36 PM
            James:

                  Are you aware of Roy C. Link (now HB Scale) 14mm gauge range?
                 Wouldn't be pity to start a new gauge just for 0,2mm diference?
                 Of course I am talking just about track, not about locos and rolling stock.

                What I would like A LOT is 16,5mm and/or 19mm gauge trapezoidal metal sleepery.

                                    Daniel

            I've posted some pics of my 20" gauge models in the album named <James' models>.

            Gil,

            Dick has most of the prints but he is out of Gilpin Tram prints- he'll have new stock next week. Don't know about the models- for now they are only available from my website.

            Woodie,

            agreed- there is no current market for 18" gauge 1:32 railways but this is an untapped treasure trove of wonderful prototypes and as I said, most of the 18" gauge kits will be available in 16.5mm gauge. To my mind an 18" loco looks and feels much better on 16.5mm gauge- having said that all the 2 foot kits will be available in 19.05mm(3/4") 16.5mm and 14.02 mm gauges. I'm working on 18" and 20" gauge ready made portable track panels so it will be possible to buy a 'train set' and get running very quickly. Turnouts will take much longer but if things pan out they will come given time.

            James

            --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, Woodie Greene <mogollonry@...> wrote:

            > James-it really doesn't matter which scale/gauge you choose, I am a dedicated scratchbuilder and will go "my own way". I also know that very few are interested in US prototype models in 1:32/1:35 scale. Over these few years, I have found 1:35 figures that scale out nicely in 1:32 scale and vice/versa so I tend to use the scale(s) as I see fit. I would suggest that you consider 16.5MMÂ gauge or 3/4"(On3) gauge for rolling stock since that is what most use. 18" is cool, but few would be modeling that. Just my opinion.

          • Stephen Auslender
            Message 6 of 29 , Aug 2 12:05 AM

              Daniel,

              Fine scale modelers have to have their accuracy, no matter what.

              They gotta do what they gotta do.

              I tend to simply ignore them and I go my own way.

              After all, it is not as bad in model railroading as it is with the static plastic model airplanes and military vehicle fine scale modelers.  These guys will spend many hours making detailed interiors for their models which can not be seen after the model is assembled.

              Then they enter the models in IPMS contests where the judges spend hours measuring and arguing over trifles.

              Compared to them model railroaders, no matter how anal retentive, as like a breath of fresh air.

              Stephen

              Message 7 of 29 , Aug 2 2:56 AM
                Hi Daniel,

                yes I am aware of the O14 models and am a long-time modeller in this scale (as I am in On3, On30, HOn3,Sn3, 1:20.3, 16mm, 1:35 and- my own invention 1:27.7- which is the correct scale for 18" gauge prototypes on 16.5mm track)- actually we had planned to dine with David and Kasia Janes of KB scale this Friday. As I think I mentioned my back to back wheel measurements will make them interchangeable with O14 track standards and I've had Sn3 loco's running on my O14 layout with no problems apart from 6 and 8 coupled loco's struggling with the radius of a Type 2 turnout.

                Really grateful to you for 'thinking outside the box' and coming up with alternative options for track- it's great to feel people are backing you up and coming up with excellent ideas for the kits. Hopefully you'll all be happy with what I come up with. I am by no means a 'finescale snob'- it's a hobby after all but there are so many cool prototypes out there- hopefully offering accurate kits will add value for both the freelance and finescale modeller. I can guarantee you one thing... no matter how hard you try to be accurate there will be more than one 'rivet counter' out there that will point out all your mistakes, every compromise needed to get a model running, and generally make you wish you had never bothered!- Its the same with my artwork and sure is the same with models.

                So with my thickest skin at the ready- thanks for all your comments, keep them coming...

                James

                Message 8 of 29 , Aug 2 6:33 AM
                  James-those punters who like to point out other's "inferior" work can be run off with just one statement-"let's see YOUR work".
                                       Woodie

                  Message 9 of 29 , Aug 2 8:41 AM
                    James:

                          Really grateful to you for 'thinking outside the box' and coming up with alternative options for track- it's great to feel people are backing you up and coming up with excellent ideas for the kits.

                                                  I think you will be surprised by the amount of support you will get from
                                                  this group.
                                                  In my experience  one gets always a lot of aparently discording ideas
                                                  and advice, but once you've  gave the a though with an a bit open
                                                  mind all of them proves of value.

                        I can guarantee you one thing... no matter how hard you try to be accurate there will be more than one 'rivet counter' out there that will point out all your mistakes, every compromise needed to get a model running, and generally make you wish you had never bothered!- Its the same with my artwork and sure is the same with models.

                                                 I've been there in both, the modelling and the art world. I totally
                                                 agree. I've learnt that if what I say or do please just everyone, I am
                                                 certainly wrong.
                                                 But have also learnt that often one pay to much attention to how the
                                                 critics come than to what their contain. If one manage to overcome
                                                 that there are no "bad" critics at all. just a lot to learn. It is a pity, but
                                                 too often people with the sharpest eyes had bad temper so one must
                                                 "unpackage" their comments before arriving to conclussions.
                                                 It's a tough world!

                                                 Keep us posted!

                                                                 Daniel

                    Message 10 of 29 , Aug 2 9:23 AM
                      Stephen:

                                   I agree, but must say the only reason why I am not one of them is because I miss the sharp eyes and the skills.
                                   Anyway I'll never let that spoil my joy.

                                                                  Daniel

                      I've posted some pics of my 20" gauge models in the album named <James' models>.

                      Gil,

                      Dick has most of the prints but he is out of Gilpin Tram prints- he'll have new stock next week. Don't know about the models- for now they are only available from my website.

                      Woodie,

                      agreed- there is no current market for 18" gauge 1:32 railways but this is an untapped treasure trove of wonderful prototypes and as I said, most of the 18" gauge kits will be available in 16.5mm gauge. To my mind an 18" loco looks and feels much better on 16.5mm gauge- having said that all the 2 foot kits will be available in 19.05mm(3/4" ) 16.5mm and 14.02 mm gauges. I'm working on 18" and 20" gauge ready made portable track panels so it will be possible to buy a 'train set' and get running very quickly. Turnouts will take much longer but if things pan out they will come given time.

                      James

                      --- In FS32NGModelrail@ yahoogroups. com, Woodie Greene <mogollonry@. ..> wrote:

                      > James-it really doesn't matter which scale/gauge you choose, I am a dedicated scratchbuilder and will go "my own way". I also know that very few are interested in US prototype models in 1:32/1:35 scale. Over these few years, I have found 1:35 figures that scale out nicely in 1:32 scale and vice/versa so I tend to use the scale(s) as I see fit. I would suggest that you consider 16.5MMÂ gauge or 3/4"(On3) gauge for rolling stock since that is what most use. 18" is cool, but few would be modeling that. Just my opinion.

                    • Brian Rumary
                      Message 11 of 29 , Aug 3 4:04 AM
                        Daniel caso wrote:

                        > Are you aware of Roy C. Link (now HB Scale) 14mm gauge range?

                        That should be KBscale - www.kbscale.com

                        Brian Rumary, England

                        www.rumary.co.uk
                      • Vince Bradley
                        Message 12 of 29 , Aug 3 4:11 AM
                          There is plenty of information and standards out there for 14.2 gauge track.
                          Wheels should not be a problem. The On14 group is a great source of useful
                          information. I am interested in 1/32n14. I have a friend with a live steam
                          18"gauge Hunslet in 4" scale. A very nice engine. He is also building cars
                          to go with it based on Sand Hutton practice.
                          Vincent

                          Message 13 of 29 , Aug 3 8:09 AM
                            Brian:

                                  Sorry, my error. I meant KB not HB.

                                             Daniel

                            Message 14 of 29 , Aug 4 8:10 AM
                              Greetings,
                              Perhaps this has been discussed before but has anybody found a suitable
                              replacement set of larger wheels for these cars. I find that the originals
                              are very small for 1/32 scale.
                              I am almost done with converting Gnomy chassis to use on 19mm track. I will
                              post some pictures soon.
                              Thank you,
                              Vincent Bradley
                              Message 15 of 29 , Aug 4 8:39 AM
                                Vince-I don't know if this will help but the wheelsets (16.5MM gauge) which are used in Bachmann's On30 arch bar trucks work nicely in the side dump cars.
                                                  Woodie

                                Message 16 of 29 , Aug 4 10:30 AM

                                  Woodie,

                                  Actually I had missed that idea.  I have used the wheels in other cars but missed trying on the dump cars.  I need to spread the gauge to 19mm but I will try it.

                                  Thanks,

                                  Vincent