Re: Scale Link WD bogies

  • Paul & Baabra Napier
    Message 1 of 11 , May 4 5:02 AM
      Have you tried Alan Gibson curly spoke wheels 16.5mm gauge? I have 9mm, 10.5 and 12mm diameter. Metal rim, plastic spokes.
      See on this website http://www.pepper7.co.uk/

      There is also NZ bush tramway style 1:34th scale 20 inch curved spoke wheels made in UK for NZ supplier Glenorchy Models.

      Paul Napier

      1a. Scale Link WD boguies
      Posted by: "Daniel" d.caso@... d.caso
      Date: Mon May 3, 2010 6:03 am ((PDT))

      Hi all:

      I've got a couple of Scale Link D 1/32 scale boguies.
      They seem to be o.k and have nice but plastic wheels.
      I would like to replace them by metal ones without making much violence to the prototype. Any tips?
      The wheels are six(curved)spokes 10,5mm diameter.

      Pity, the way the boguies are designed make no possible to replace wheels once built (and little Daniel is pushing hard to get them built!!!)

      Thank you.

      Message 2 of 11 , May 4 7:40 AM
        Paul:

            I wasn't able to find them at Glenorchy's website but the Alan Gibson ones at Pepper 7 seem to be "the ones". Also not expensive. Anyway before ordering I will check if the axle length is compatible with the SL boguies. I hope they are.

            Thank you!

                          Daniel

        Posted by: "Daniel" d.caso@yahoo. com d.caso

        Message 3 of 11 , May 17 6:08 PM
          The spoked wheelsets referred to by Paul as available from Glenorchy Models are 1:34 scale New Zealand "bush tram" 20 inch diameter, 7 curly spoked, which are gauged to run on NZ's 3'6" gauged trackage; they have stainless steel tyres and insert plastic spoked centres, on a Slaters steel axle. In 1:34 scale these are 15mm in diameter, so a tad over 14mm in 1:32 scale - for gauges narrower than 32mm, you would need to shorten/replace the axles.

          They will be added to the website shortly - price in USD 12.50 per set(2 axles/4 wheels - enough for one log bogie/truck) plus postage from NZ.

          Just email us if you are interested - in addition can supply to order etched 1:34 scale small diesel loco kits for three 0-4-0 diesel engines - a Billard t75D, a Price Da (with Bull ant to run on 750mm &/or 2' gauge) and a Hudswell Clarke D29.

          See "photos" Hudswell Clarke D29 & Price Da-3 on this group.
          _____________________________________________________________________ In FS32NGModelrail daniel caso wrote:

          Paul: I wasn't able to find them at Glenorchy's website but the Alan Gibson ones at Pepper 7 seem to be "the ones". Also not expensive. Anyway before ordering I will check if the axle length is compatible with the SL boguies. I hope they are.

          On Tue, 5/4/10, Paul & Baabra Napier wrote
          Re: Scale Link WD bogies
          Have you tried Alan Gibson curly spoke wheels 16.5mm gauge? I have 9mm, 10.5 and 12mm diameter. Metal rim, plastic spokes.

          See on this website http://www.pepper7 co.uk/

          There is also NZ bush tramway style 1:34th scale 20 inch curved spoke wheels made in UK for NZ supplier Glenorchy Models.

          Paul Napier

          1a. Scale Link WD boguies

          Posted by: "Daniel" d.caso Date: Mon May 3, 2010
          Hi all: I've got a couple of Scale Link D 1/32 scale boguies.

          They seem to be o.k and have nice but plastic wheels.

          I would like to replace them by metal ones without making much violence to the prototype. Any tips? The wheels are six(curved)spokes 10,5mm diameter.
          Pity, the way the boguies are designed make no possible to replace wheels once built (and little Daniel is pushing hard to get them built!!!)
        • Bob P.
          Message 4 of 11 , May 18 4:52 AM
            Dear All,
            I have been picking up tips from you all as I attempt to build the two Rye and Camber coaches in 15mm scale. The Slaters 1615WD seven curly spoke wheels are about right for the Rye and Camber bogies available from Cambrian models but I had to get the brass bearings from Cambrian separately. Currently I am frustrated by an inability to obtain any self tap screws to secure the bogies to a 5mm ply floor. Over here in the UK the old hardware stores have passed into the history books and the likes of B&Q stores or Wicks don't do anything suitable. I have ordered some from Squires with other bits only to receive everything but the screws! Keep going lads I need you to inspire me.
            Bob Perrin.

            Message 5 of 11 , May 18 6:30 AM
              Bob:

                   I know very wellhow frustrating such things can be.

                   What size do you need and how many?

                   I think I can get the here without difficulty. Once I've got your answer I'll ask and if you send me your address (by private mail if you prefer) will post them to you.

                                   Daniel

              Message 6 of 11 , May 18 11:53 AM
                Dear Daniel,
                Many thanks for the kind offer that I will bear in mind if the Squires ones don't turn up soon. I have however other things to be getting on with for the moment and do not wish to impose at present. What I am after is some around 4mm self tapers, Squires order was for 3/16 ths of an inch imperial. The likes of B&Q only supply building sized screws and unfortunately Cambrian Models were unable to help despite the instructions indicating 3mm counter sunk bolts or screws required. Naturally I don't want the screws to prodrude through the floor.
                Regards,
                Bob P.

                Message 7 of 11 , May 18 2:15 PM
                  Bob:

                       As you wish. Anyway try the local electronics shop. probably they have them.

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 27 2:16 PM
                    Dear Daniel,
                    Screws turned up today. I do hope no offence was caused by my declining your kind offer but I thought it was a bit of overkill to send a few screws half way round the world. Best wishes for the future.
                    Bob P.

                    Message 9 of 11 , May 27 2:40 PM
                      Dear Bob:

                      Screws turned up today.

                                                      I'm glad for that.
                                                      We modellers have a huge patience when working  on a model but
                                                      very little when waiting for our stuff.
                                                      The important thing is that you can go ahead with your project.

                      I do hope no offence was caused by my declining your kind offer

                                                      For sure not!

                      but I thought it was a bit of overkill to send a few screws half way round the world.

                                                      Well, not worse than sending complete armies...

                                                                                                                                               #:-)

                      Best wishes for the future.

                                                       Thank you.
                                                       Don't forget to post some pictures of your work.

                                                                         Daniel

                      Message 10 of 11 , May 28 3:34 AM
                        Dear Daniel,
                        I will post pics when I have something worth posting. Hope to do a bit next week as the schools are on half term and I won't be up at the crack of dawn to drive some disabled kids to school and back.
                        Best regards,
                        Bob P.

                        Message 11 of 11 , May 28 5:34 AM
                          Bob:
                                 Don;t worry. take your time ( and a rest every now and then!)

                                                                        #:-)