Tailor Creek Tramway

  • Nathan Badcock
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 1, 2010
      Hi All,
      I'm pleased to announce that significant progress has been made on my 1/35th, on 9mm gauge "Tailor Creek Tramway".
      It's exhibition debut is on the 20th and 21st of this month, and much is too be done.

      The "Tailor Creek Tramway" is a fictuous 12" gauge Tramway set "somewhere" in the south of Tasmania, Australia.
      The Tramway's main revenue was too be sand, however it was thought that this could be quite boring, so it was decided that an olive oil processing plant could be instead substituted.

      Hopefully i'll be able too get some pictures up soon.

      On another note, i'm having a hard time thinking up of was too make larger, good looking tree's, do you folks have any idea's?

      Cheers,
      Nathan Badcock
      ---------------
      Tailor Creek Tramway, 35n12

      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 1, 2010
        Wow-a 12" gauge 1:35 scale tramway! I can't wait to see the photos. I can't find anything "boring" about such a narrow gauge line.            Woodie

        I'm pleased to announce that significant progress has been made on my 1/35th, on 9mm gauge "Tailor Creek Tramway".
        It's exhibition debut is on the 20th and 21st of this month, and much is too be done.

        The "Tailor Creek Tramway" is a fictuous 12" gauge Tramway set "somewhere" in the south of Tasmania, Australia.
        The Tramway's main revenue was too be sand, however it was thought that this could be quite boring, so it was decided that an olive oil processing plant could be instead substituted.

        Hopefully i'll be able too get some pictures up soon.

        On another note, i'm having a hard time thinking up of was too make larger, good looking tree's, do you folks have any idea's?

        Cheers,
        Nathan Badcock
        ------------ ---
        Tailor Creek Tramway, 35n12

      • Rod Hutchinson
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 1, 2010
          Hi Nathan,

          Are you the Nathan I met at Duttonbay Tramway?

          Regards
          Rod Hutchinson
          Australian Pacific Climate Change Science Program
          Component 1.1 -  Climate Data Management
          National Climate Centre
          Bureau of Meteorology, GPO Box 1289
          Melbourne, Victoria 3001, Australia
          Ph: +61 3 9669 4062; Fx: +61 3 9669 4760
          http://www.bom.gov.au

          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 1, 2010
            Nathan:

                  Can't wait to see those 12"gauge tramway pictures!

                  Under the name "Sisal trees" I have created a photo album showing my (still unfinished) first try at making sial trees in 1/35 scale (well, it was then still 1/32 until the new wind arrived)

                  Basically same method as the old wire armatures but now with sisal and white glue.
            I bought a 750m sisal roll for 15 euros, enough for a  nice 1/35 woods. (actually I bought a couple of such rolls because I am making another tree, this one 8' -yes- tall)
                  Once formed the armature stays flexible for several days so one can shape the branches very easily.
                  Once dried I covered it with liquid latex (proved not really necesary afterwards) and haven't finished the fine smaller branches yet. My plan is to cover it with a mix of plaster and sawdust, scratch/sand a decent bark texture on it and painting with watercolours + pastels.
                  It took me 1/2 hour to make this one. With some arrangemets for 'mass' production
            a nice woods may be done in one or two days.

                  It is cheap and effective.

                  I hope it helps.

                                   Daniel

            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 1, 2010
              --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, daniel caso <d.caso@...> wrote:
              >Under the name "Sisal trees" I have created a photo album showing my (still unfinished) first try at making sial trees in 1/35 scale
              >
              >Basically same method as the old wire armatures but now with sisal and white glue.

              Daniel,
              Looks great! Could you elaborate a little on the technique used: Did you simply lay a number of strands side by side for the main trunk, or did you untwist them first and mix them up into one thick strand before applying the white glue?

              /Lennart
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 2, 2010
                Lennart:

                    The method I use is as follow:

                1) Make a bundle with enough strands (straight from the roll, so no untwisting) to form the
                    main trunk as thick as you want.
                    Keep in mind you'll cover it later with plaster or latex so the trunk will be a couple of
                    mm thicker when finished.

                2) Embed the trunk in white glue/water and fasten it with a couple of temporary wires to
                    avoid the strands falling apart. (More water means slower drying)

                3) When dried enough (it takes a few minutes) divide the "top" of the truck in three, four or
                    five bundles to form the main branches. Then proceed as with the trunk.

                4) Repeat this on each branch so to progressively form more thinner branches until you
                    reach the end of the sisal.

                5) Untwisting the sisal is just needed at the last, thinner branches.

                Because using wire at the smaller branches splits was too slow and boring, I opted for using small clamps. This -depending on the power of the clamps- will flatten a bit the sisal, but once half dired one can correct it by removing the clamps and forming it properly with the finger tops.

                I didn't cared much about the shape of the whole until it was half dried. I concentrated first on getting enough branches. When half dried it was easy to form it but to let it dry completely in the shape I wanted I needed to use pieces of wire holding the brances in the desired position.

                Since I'll be making many 1/35 scale trees, I am thinking about building a special device to speed up the process. Once I have completed the design I will ad to the album 3D drawings and photos of my "treemakingmachine".

                Oh,yes: I formed the "roots" by simply bending the lower end of the trunk strands.

                No need of any kind of skeleton. The tree is strong but very light so may be directly glued (again white glue) to the baseboard. Of course one may always put a wood dowel or something else in the middle of the trunk when forming it so it can be "planted' in a hole in the baseboard. This will be certainly needed if the tree is too asymmetric (out of balance).

                WARNING!!!:

                      Dear Woodie: don't even try it!!!
                      If you do, the nicest Oak will look as a weeping pillow after the first rain at Mogollon!!!

                                                                                                            #:-)

                                                        Daniel

                >Under the name "Sisal trees" I have created a photo album showing my (still unfinished) first try at making sial trees in 1/35 scale
                >
                >Basically same method as the old wire armatures but now with sisal and white glue.

                Daniel,
                Looks great! Could you elaborate a little on the technique used: Did you simply lay a number of strands side by side for the main trunk, or did you untwist them first and mix them up into one thick strand before applying the white glue?

                /Lennart

              • kim marsh
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 2, 2010
                  hi nathan
                  i have always found the best base for trees is straight from nature.living in tasmania you would have a great selection .i have always looked for well pruned hedges that are old.if you look inside them you will find twigs with great character.
                  you can then cover them with folage nets or some other artifical scenic accessiorie.
                  look online for "scenic express" they carry a huge range.
                  cheers kim

                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 3, 2010
                    Hi Guys,

                    Thanks for the quick replies, and great idea's!
                    I will have a go with both Idea's, although hedges are few and far between here =S

                    Kim: Congratulations on your NGDU article on the Bone Yard, i really enjoyed it!
                    Rod: Yep, that sure was me, it was very nice too meet you.

                    I look forward too getting some picture's up once i get my head around it lol

                    Regards,
                    Nathan Badcock
                    ------------ ---
                    Tailor Creek Tramway, 35n12

                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 3, 2010
                      Hey Guys,
                      Pictures have been added!

                      Nathan Badcock
                      ---------------
                      Tailor Creek Tramway, 35n12

                      --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, Nathan Badcock <nbadcock00@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Guys,
                      >
                      > Thanks for the quick replies, and great idea's!
                      > I will have a go with both Idea's, although hedges are few and far between here =S
                      >
                      > Kim: Congratulations on your NGDU article on the Bone Yard, i really enjoyed it!
                      > Rod: Yep, that sure was me, it was very nice too meet you.
                      >
                      > I look forward too getting some picture's up once i get my head around it lol
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      > Nathan Badcock
                      > ------------ ---
                      > Tailor Creek Tramway, 35n12
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • Rod Hutchinson
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 4, 2010
                        Hi Nathan,

                        The tramway looks good. What's the little bogie thing that guy is sitting on?

                        Regards
                        Rod Hutchinson

                        Hey Guys,
                        Pictures have been added!

                        Nathan Badcock
                        ---------------
                        Tailor Creek Tramway, 35n12
                      • Hans Hammarsten
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 4, 2010
                          Hi Nathan

                          It's a wonderful little railway you've got there, I really like it!!

                          My best
                          Hans H

                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 4, 2010
                            Good idea Kim.

                            I have a bottlebrush shrub and each time I prune it there are some great branches and things that I look at and think they must be useable. Some are quite straight and look like great trestle bridge uprights.
                            I don't know about their longevity tho, but I think they might be okay if inside.
                            regards
                            Ron
                          • kim marsh
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 4, 2010
                              hi ron.
                              i have a collection that goes back 15 years and it has lasted well inside.there is one variety [i do not know its name]of hedge that produces the most intricate branch structure .come to think of it there is a variety of white daisy bushes that also make large trees.
                              cheers kim
                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 4, 2010

                                Thanks Guys!

                                It’s alright for a third effort!,  And it’s the closest I’ve got too finishing a layout! =)

                                I’ve traced down a small amount of Sedum Autumn Glow in my local area, and will be using it too make some “mini Gums”

                                Hopefully i can get my structures finished off this afternoon; i have built three buildings, a large galvanised shed for the processing of olives for the “Virgin oil co.”, a large Reservoir for storage of the processed Oil from the “Virgin Oil Co” and a Small engine shed for the “Tailor Creek Tramway” to service Loco’s, Rollingstock and store tools etc.

                                Rod:  The little “Green” fellow is sitting on an un-modified (not for long) Graham Farish underframe.

                                Cheers,

                                Nathan Badcock
                                ------------ ---
                                Tailor Creek Tramway, 35n12

                                Message 15 of 16 , Mar 8, 2010
                                  Hey Guys!
                                  Structures have been finished!
                                  The shed has been suitably wheathered and graffiti applied all over it. The Reservoir has been painted green, weatherd and suitable graffiti applied.
                                  The engine shed is not much more than a modern carport, maybe i might build a old wooden one too replace it oneday?

                                  Alot more ground foliage and bushes have been added, aswell as some Tree's.
                                  Hopefully pictures soon!

                                  Cheers,

                                  Nathan Badcock
                                  Tailor Creek Tramway, 35n12