Re: Canal Boats

  • etendam
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 30, 2009
      --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, daniel caso <d.caso@...> wrote:

      Daniel

      It is www.modelbouwers.nl

      Ed

      > Hi Ed.
      > Does  Modelbpuwer have a website?
      > It would be great to have de lists of what they've got in their huge archives and library.
      >
      > Thank you.
      >
      > Daniel
    • leon
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 2, 2010
        Richard,

        As far as I know is that most of those boats had the hull painted black. It was of course black as it was greased with a sort of pitch. Either for a wooden as for a steel hull.
        Than on deck there could be a small cabin. These cabins if they were made out of wood, were most of the time just stained in some kind of light brown too very dark brown. And I think that if the owner of a boat would his cabin be painted that it was most of the time just white or green (like pullman green)as these were the cheapest paint you could get(were Dutch off cours ;-)
        but other colors/plans can be imaginable.
        I hope this can help you in some way.

        daniel:

        You got my attention. I knew of the Gelderse Tramwegen, but didn't now off it's "huge" capacity off transportation of goods. I specially like that picture off the grain warehouse and the crane at the canal

        Ooh, and everybody a happy new year. Hope to learn a lot from you this year and finally hope to make a plan for new exhibiton layout.

        Leon

        --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, daniel caso <d.caso@...> wrote:

        > Robin:
        >
        >      Well, I live in Amsterdam at 400m from the Anna Frank Huis but I swear I wasn't me.
        >      I'm sorry to say but after 30 years living here I didn't payed much attention to the boats, except two away from the city that I plan to model some day. But I know that during the seventies, when the only rule was to be and to do odd, colours have got a bit of an own freedom. Of course there are many as good as preserved but there is also a lot of popular fantasy in all gradations so in this case experience my be misleading.
        >
        > Richard:
        >
        >        There are a lot of different types of canal boats here. Always where. If you can upload or send  me a drawing or photo or even the type of boat I can take a look at the
        > library and
        > ask some naval modellers here.
        >        If you are going to model a Dutch scene I would be pleased at helping you with information and pictures; but let me  remember you that we have in the group Marc v.d Broeke, John Vogelaar, Leon v. Grinsven, Otto Schouwstra (who I'm sure can tell a lot) and for sure more fellows, all Dutch and covering most of this huge tiny country. And just to invite/provocate them I'll create an album later today with pictures of a Dutch 750mm gauge steam tramway that was working until 1953.
        >
        >                         Daniel

      • Hans Hammarsten
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 2, 2010
          Hi to You all on this new 2010.
          Just did my first casting in plaster for my loco shed
          it's a near (very near) copy of Marcel Ackle's loco shop in G scale,
          You my find it at  http://www.feldbahn-modellbau.ch/
          I just loved it and thought I should give it a go on that one.

          My first casting didn't work like I wanted it to, my way was the wrong way.
          I thought I could do a print out of an mirror image of my drawing, and draw lines with a collored pen and cast directly on to that one, but that didnt work. But to rescue my first casting I starded carving away on it
          And I think it will work.
          I put in some pictures in my Photo file " A Test shot..."

          Best regards to you all.
          Hans Hammarsten

          Går det långsamt? Skaffa dig en snabbare bredbandsuppkoppling.
          Sök och jämför priser hos Kelkoo.
        • Rod Hutchinson
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 2, 2010

            HI Hans,

            Congratulations on your 1st casting.  I’ll look forward to watching your progress.

            Regards

            Rod Hutchinson

            Melbourne,  Australia

            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 3, 2010
              Thanks Rob

              I'm going to cast the other three walls today...
              Pictures later on..

              Sent: Sunday, 3 January 2010 5:31 AM
              To: FS32NGModelrail@ yahoogroups. com

              http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/FS32NGMode lrail/photos/ album/1077924025 /pic/list

              Best regards to you all.
              Hans Hammarsten

              Går det långsamt? Skaffa dig en snabbare bredbandsuppkoppling.
              Sök och jämför priser hos Kelkoo.
            • Robin
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 3, 2010
                Hi Hans, is this plaster of paris, or some other material like wall filler which can be purchased at a local hardware store?
                A few years ago I tried with a premade light wall filler over a wooden frame,which once dried was quite hard to engrave/inscribe random stone on to. I have never compleated it.I'll add a couple of photographs of it one of these days.
                for your first try you did a good job.I am not too good at this stuff how did you make your mold.
                Regards,
                Robin.

                --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, Hans Hammarsten <hanshammarsten2002@...> wrote:

                > Hi to You all on this new 2010.
                > Just did my first casting in plaster for my loco shed
                > it's a near (very near) copy of Marcel Ackle's loco shop in G scale,
                > You my find it at  http://www.feldbahn-modellbau.ch/
                > I just loved it and thought I should give it a go on that one.
                >
                > My first casting didn't work like I wanted it to, my way was the wrong way.
                > I thought I could do a print out of an mirror image of my drawing, and draw lines with a collored pen and cast directly on to that one, but that didnt work. But to rescue my first casting I starded carving away on it
                > And I think it will work.
                > I put in some pictures in my Photo file " A Test shot..."

                > Best regards to you all.
                > Hans Hammarsten

                > Ta semester! - sök efter resor hos Kelkoo.
                > Jämför pris på flygbiljetter och hotellrum här:
                > http://www.kelkoo.se/c-169901-resor-biljetter.html?partnerId=96914052

              • Hans Hammarsten
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 3, 2010
                  Hi Robert

                  Thank You, it's fun, but I do think I got a bit carried away here...looks more like it would fit in to a war diorama... ;0))

                  It's Lightwieght Hydrocal I use, and I carve it before it cures and get al dry.

                  I make very easy molds, I just take my drawing, first i did the casting on the paper...no good, and put in a plastic pocket (? the ones you can keep in a binder?)
                  then I just use masking tape and fixate wooden sticks cut to lenght to the plastic pocket on top of the drawing. As for wall one and two I aded carbord pieces to get different depth of the casting, allso sticked with tape. Nothing to it realy.
                  I'm sorry I didn't take pictures of my work before casting. But I will do some more castings, then I will do a tutorial...if some one wants me to.

                  I put in new pictures in my photo file " A Test shot..."

                  Best regards
                  Hans Hammarsten

                  Hi Hans, is this plaster of paris, or some other material like wall filler which can be purchased at a local hardware store?
                  A few years ago I tried with a premade light wall filler over a wooden frame,which once dried was quite hard to engrave/inscribe random stone on to. I have never compleated it.I'll add a couple of photographs of it one of these days.
                  for your first try you did a good job.I am not too good at this stuff how did you make your mold.
                  Regards,
                  Robin.

                  --- In FS32NGModelrail@ yahoogroups. com, Hans Hammarsten <hanshammarsten2002 @...> wrote:

                  > Hi to You all on this new 2010.
                  > Just did my first casting in plaster for my loco shed
                  > it's a near (very near) copy of Marcel Ackle's loco shop in G scale,
                  > You my find it at  http://www.feldbahn -modellbau. ch/
                  > I just loved it and thought I should give it a go on that one.
                  >
                  > My first casting didn't work like I wanted it to, my way was the wrong way.
                  > I thought I could do a print out of an mirror image of my drawing, and draw lines with a collored pen and cast directly on to that one, but that didnt work. But to rescue my first casting I starded carving away on it
                  > And I think it will work.
                  > I put in some pictures in my Photo file " A Test shot..."
                  >
                  > http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/FS32NGMode lrail/photos/ album/1077924025 /pic/list
                  >
                  > Best regards to you all.
                  > Hans Hammarsten

                  > Ta semester! - sök efter resor hos Kelkoo.
                  > Jämför pris på flygbiljetter och hotellrum här:
                  > http://www.kelkoo. se/c-169901- resor-biljetter. html?partnerId= 96914052

                  Sök efter kärleken!
                  Hitta din tvillingsjäl på Yahoo! Dejting: http://se.meetic.yahoo.net
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 4, 2010
                    Hans:

                           Nice work.
                           Of course you need to build up some experience but once painted, weathered and dressed up with some detail your castings will come up very good.

                           I have made some plaster castings years ago and found adding  common white glue to the water when preparing the plaster gave it a lot of more strength.
                           I was making retaining walls for a 0e layout and because they were going to be part of 60cm moving wall they must be light and strong but also very thin. I've made a pattern in wood and got a mould from it with liquid latex. To be sure in case the very thin walls (3mm at the top  going to 10mm in three steps) break the parts wouldn't  be lost I laid a piece of cloth on the top of the just poured plaster. Due to the white glue this dried as part of the casting.
                     That was more than 15 years ago. The modular layout has been moved -very roughly- many times but none of the castings show any trace of damage yet.
                      The only  point is that white glue makes the castings less porous so stains will work not so nice as on the pure plaster.

                       One thing I've learnt from that experience is to avoid scribing horizontal full length lines for stones. This makes them fitting too perfect to each other what makes -as you'll see at the pictures- a bit unrealistic.

                      After removing the castings from the mould I broke some stones, deepened some lines and made other details to individualize them a bit. (It is amazing how destroying a too obvious repetition works!).

                      For making the pattern  I've built up the volume with three layers of ply and scribed  the stones with a Dremel moto tool. Then glued the whole on a bigger piece of ply and surrounded it with stripwood so to form a kind of box. Then coated the pattern with kitchen oil -the onlyu one I had at that moment- and poured the liquid latex.
                      The column was made from a piece of wood too. One casting included a section of retaining wall and a column.
                      I have lost the mould but I casted some 20 pieces without problems.
                      For the lower walls at the top I just cut some of the same castings to fit.

                      You will find the photos in a new album in a moment.

                                        Daniel

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 9, 2010
                      Leon:

                             Sorry for the delay.
                             Yes, the GTM was a serious line. I have added another 80 pictures to the album so you can see all types of locos, most types of rolling stock and some buildings.
                             During the 90's I have done some research and have been a couple of times in Doetinchem (where I've got the pictures). I was surprised to see how many of the old buildings still remain without mayor changes.
                             De Modelbouwer has for sale scale drawings (1:45 scale) of just all the locos and the rolling stock. I can't recall the source but there is another source for drawings too. It could be the NVBM but I'm not sure.
                             There are several books on the theme with a lot more pictures and information, as far as I know all out of print. Eventually you may borrow them from me.
                              The main one is OP SMALSPOOR DOOR OOST GELDERLAND, by H. Nieweg, who was the chairman of the GTM until it's clousure in 1953.
                               In the serie TRAMS EN TRAMLIJNEN there are at least two numbers with good information about the GTM: STOOMTRAMS IN GELDERLAND  and  MOTORTRAMS.
                      These are easier to find second hand at some big trains shows (Houten, Eurospoor, etc).
                               Somewhere I have A3 size good qualiuty photocopies of several air photos of the floating bridge at (I think) Doesburg. I will ad it to the album as soon as I can find it.

                               Daniel

                      As far as I know is that most of those boats had the hull painted black. It was of course black as it was greased with a sort of pitch. Either for a wooden as for a steel hull.
                      Than on deck there could be a small cabin. These cabins if they were made out of wood, were most of the time just stained in some kind of light brown too very dark brown. And I think that if the owner of a boat would his cabin be painted that it was most of the time just white or green (like pullman green)as these were the cheapest paint you could get(were Dutch off cours ;-)
                      but other colors/plans can be imaginable.
                      I hope this can help you in some way.

                      daniel:

                      You got my attention. I knew of the Gelderse Tramwegen, but didn't now off it's "huge" capacity off transportation of goods. I specially like that picture off the grain warehouse and the crane at the canal

                      Ooh, and everybody a happy new year. Hope to learn a lot from you this year and finally hope to make a plan for new exhibiton layout.

                      Leon

                      --- In FS32NGModelrail@ yahoogroups. com, daniel caso <d.caso@...> wrote:

                      > Robin:
                      >
                      >      Well, I live in Amsterdam at 400m from the Anna Frank Huis but I swear I wasn't me.
                      >      I'm sorry to say but after 30 years living here I didn't payed much attention to the boats, except two away from the city that I plan to model some day. But I know that during the seventies, when the only rule was to be and to do odd, colours have got a bit of an own freedom. Of course there are many as good as preserved but there is also a lot of popular fantasy in all gradations so in this case experience my be misleading.
                      >
                      > Richard:
                      >
                      >        There are a lot of different types of canal boats here. Always where. If you can upload or send  me a drawing or photo or even the type of boat I can take a look at the
                      > library and
                      > ask some naval modellers here.
                      >        If you are going to model a Dutch scene I would be pleased at helping you with information and pictures; but let me  remember you that we have in the group Marc v.d Broeke, John Vogelaar, Leon v. Grinsven, Otto Schouwstra (who I'm sure can tell a lot) and for sure more fellows, all Dutch and covering most of this huge tiny country. And just to invite/provocate them I'll create an album later today with pictures of a Dutch 750mm gauge steam tramway that was working until 1953.
                      >
                      >                         Daniel

                    • Richard
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 10, 2010
                        Thanks to Daniel and all the others who sent info and suggestions for my canal boat. I loved the photo collection as I am partial to trams/steam dummies from both sides of the water. Progess has been slow as it is a bit cool for the San Joaquin Valley (High today: 46dF (8C)and it's hard to stay long in the garage/workshop.
                        Cheers,
                        Richard Heisler