Re: [FS32NGModelrail] Finding figures

  • Stephen Auslender
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 3, 2009
      Dont forget, the work area has to look like the old Frankenstein movie from Hollywood that was made back in the 1930's. Van de Graff generator and all the bells and whistles.
      Also you have to work on it only when there is a thunderstorm with lots of lightning.
      Furthermore, it is recommended that you practice screaming, "It lives! It lives!" at the top of your lungs.
      Stephen
      From: Stephen Auslender <auslend@snet. net>
      To: FS32NGModelrail@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Tuesday, November 3, 2009, 10:04 PM

      Its the Dr. Frankenstein school of model railroading.
      Stephen
      From: Woodie Greene <mogollonry@sbcgloba l.net>
      To: FS32NGModelrail@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Tuesday, November 3, 2009, 4:03 PM

      Daniel-you can make "ladies" from nazi officers wearing those long overcoats. Matter of fact, they love the attention and changes since they are trying to hide from nazi hunters and freedom fighters. Just a little body putty in the right places and maybe a change of heads with some added hair styling and/or hat-you have a female. The boots are another matter but since my railroad is in the New Mexico high country, everybody wears boots to thwart snakes, scorpions, and cactus. I do have some nice ladies at the Gila Hotel which were made by Master Box-a set of 2 ladies and a couple of army officers. I posted pix of these on freerails.com as "Ladies of the Gila Hotel". I have used those nice Preiser figures as the basis for some "upscale" ladies also. The Master Box 1:35 ladies and Preiser 1:32 ladies show no "scale" differences, maybe the sculptors lost their scale rulers. Toy "cowboys & indians" of today are quite detailed and most seem to be within scale so I may have a Tamiya body with Master Box arms, Dragon legs, and a toy cowboy head with western style hat. Dr Frankenstein would be proud.                  Woodie

      From: David Usher <silectric@googlemai l.com>
      To: FS32NGModelrail@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Tuesday, November 3, 2009, 8:56 AM

      Poundland and similar are also good places to mooch around. TT train set for £1 my last buy. Proper track, not like my first which was a plateway. See the movie:
      http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=gao4PEHDQPw

      2009/11/2 Stephen Auslender <auslend@snet. net>

      Hi Daniel and the others, you all.
      I have a tendency to stop by resale shops, used items stores, garage sales, toy stores, etc when I happen by. In these places I just wander around looking at things that I might adapt for my sculpture or my model railroad.
      I have found that one can often find old toys that have  features we need for our figures. There are many toy figures where we can remove the heads and hands to get find details that we need for our figures. Or we can apply material over the toys costume  to change the figures over into other characters. One can even grind down the costumes of toy figures and cover the narrowed parts of the figures with other material to change the costume.
      There are many inexpensive toy soldiers in the 1/32 - 1/35 range available all around us. Just keep your eyes open and it is amazing what we can find.
      Also do not forget that people range in height by a factor of two feet so the exact scale is not all that important. there are humans from four feet six inches in height to six feet six inches in height. Look around you; we vary all over the place. So can our model figures.
      Stephen
      From: drgw167 <smn03@...>
      Subject: [FS32NGModelrail] Re: NEW PHOTOS
      To: FS32NGModelrail@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Monday, November 2, 2009, 1:46 AM

      Daniel,

      The scene is starting to look more alive every time.

      Mike Hobbs
      Bakersfield, CA

      --- In FS32NGModelrail@ yahoogroups. com, "Daniel" <d.caso@...> wrote:

      > Hi all:
      > I have just added a few more pictures to my album Modelling with DAS Clay.
      > There is still a lot to be done.
      > The first paint layer for the stream is still wet. After a couple of new layers I'll make the water texture using acrylic gel.
      > Tomorrow I will make the roofs and start detailing the kitchen which door will be open, detailing also the open shed and the scene: a few people starting to restore the house.
      > The idea of a piece of track at the background was Henrik's idea.
      > I will also try to make a couple of trees with DAS on an wire frame.(our fellow John Vogelaar's idea)
      > Once all that is done i will start detailing the whole thing.
      > I think I will also work out the grass colours with the airbrush.
      >
      > I also think I will paint and weather the top of the rails. An abandoned line seems more suitable for such scene.
      >
      > Thank you.
      >
      > Daniel

      David Usher
      http://www.siltec. co.uk

      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 3, 2009
        Stephen:

              So to see FS32NGModelrail needs an exorcist!

                                            Daniel

[...]

                   #:-)

            Thank you all.

                                   Daniel

        The scene is starting to look more alive every time.

        Mike Hobbs
        Bakersfield, CA

        --- In FS32NGModelrail@ yahoogroups. com, "Daniel" <d.caso@...> wrote:

        > Hi all:
        > I have just added a few more pictures to my album Modelling with DAS Clay.
        > There is still a lot to be done.
        > The first paint layer for the stream is still wet. After a couple of new layers I'll make the water texture using acrylic gel.
        > Tomorrow I will make the roofs and start detailing the kitchen which door will be open, detailing also the open shed and the scene: a few people starting to restore the house.
        > The idea of a piece of track at the background was Henrik's idea.
        > I will also try to make a couple of trees with DAS on an wire frame.(our fellow John Vogelaar's idea)
        > Once all that is done i will start detailing the whole thing.
        > I think I will also work out the grass colours with the airbrush.
        >
        > I also think I will paint and weather the top of the rails. An abandoned line seems more suitable for such scene.
        >
        > Thank you.
        >
        > Daniel

        David Usher
        http://www.siltec. co.uk

      • Stephen Auslender
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 3, 2009
          Exactly!

                So to see FS32NGModelrail needs an exorcist!

                                              Daniel

          Its the Dr. Frankenstein school of model railroading.
          Stephen

          Daniel-you can make "ladies" from nazi officers wearing those long overcoats. Matter of fact, they love the attention and changes since they are trying to hide from nazi hunters and freedom fighters. Just a little body putty in the right places and maybe a change of heads with some added hair styling and/or hat-you have a female. The boots are another matter but since my railroad is in the New Mexico high country, everybody wears boots to thwart snakes, scorpions, and cactus. I do have some nice ladies at the Gila Hotel which were made by Master Box-a set of 2 ladies and a couple of army officers. I posted pix of these on freerails.com as "Ladies of the Gila Hotel". I have used those nice Preiser figures as the basis for some "upscale" ladies also. The Master Box 1:35 ladies and Preiser 1:32 ladies show no "scale" differences, maybe the sculptors lost their scale rulers. Toy "cowboys & indians" of today are quite detailed and most seem to be within scale so I may have a Tamiya body with Master Box arms, Dragon legs, and a toy cowboy head with western style hat. Dr Frankenstein would be proud.                  Woodie

          The scene is starting to look more alive every time.

          Mike Hobbs
          Bakersfield, CA

          --- In FS32NGModelrail@ yahoogroups. com, "Daniel" <d.caso@...> wrote:

          > Hi all:
          > I have just added a few more pictures to my album Modelling with DAS Clay.
          > There is still a lot to be done.
          > The first paint layer for the stream is still wet. After a couple of new layers I'll make the water texture using acrylic gel.
          > Tomorrow I will make the roofs and start detailing the kitchen which door will be open, detailing also the open shed and the scene: a few people starting to restore the house.
          > The idea of a piece of track at the background was Henrik's idea.
          > I will also try to make a couple of trees with DAS on an wire frame.(our fellow John Vogelaar's idea)
          > Once all that is done i will start detailing the whole thing.
          > I think I will also work out the grass colours with the airbrush.
          >
          > I also think I will paint and weather the top of the rails. An abandoned line seems more suitable for such scene.
          >
          > Thank you.
          >
          > Daniel

          David Usher
          http://www.siltec. co.uk