Re: [FS32NGModelrail] Wrightlines 7mm / 1:32 skip

  • Gil Flores
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 1, 2009
      Wright lines are 7mm and Slaters Plastikard are 1:32, the 1:32 kits are from Richard Christ, Russ's Friend, he sold his molds to Slaters. These are the same ones that Jerry has and built, ask him to send you a picture. I have some Wright lines ones, if you can't wait for an order from KB scale

      Also KB scale has those very cool spooked wheels, check that out too.
      Gil

      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 1, 2009
        Gil:

           I recall a thread here some time ago (may be two years) when I asked and Roy told us he made the patterns for Wrightlines' skips and they where actually 1/32 scale.

                           Daniel

        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 1, 2009
          Gil...dude!....too much potato on the brain?.....I don't think the other Marc....the one that asked the question, knows who Richard or Russ are[:-Grin]......but good thorough answer and links nonetheless.

          Send me the info re. the skips over on TNGS...or in a personal email....most interested....and too lazy to place an order.

          Marc [The original one...or at least the crotchetiest one.]

          --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, Gil Flores <mrbungalow01@...> wrote:

          > Wright lines are 7mm and Slaters Plastikard are 1:32, the 1:32 kits are from Richard Christ, Russ's Friend, he sold his molds to Slaters. These are the same ones that Jerry has and built, ask him to send you a picture. I have some Wright lines ones, if you can't wait for an order from KB scale
          > 7mm= www.kbscale.com
          > 1:32= www.slatersplastikard.com
          > also try www.ukmodelshops.com.uk
          >
          > Also KB scale has those very cool spooked wheels, check that out too.
          > Gil

        • marc
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 2, 2009
            Hi all,

            thanks for the replies but now I am a little confused :-) so I will make a small summary which, I hope, helps.

            - ex-RCL, current KB scale skip/bogies I have and are way to small for 1:32/35 (e.g. compared to the Slaters).

            - Slaters, I have and look nice and have a "flat" outside frame (sorry don't know how to discribe it better).

            - Wrightlines skip/bogies. I don't have those but have a [ shaped frame and are supposedly more 1:32 than O-scale (designed by Roy C Link ?!?). Due to the frame I would very much like to have those.

            I hope this helps.

            Regards,
            Marc
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 2, 2009
              Marc:

              You wrote:

              - ex-RCL, current KB scale skip/bogies I have and are way to small for 1:32/35 (e.g. compared to the Slaters).

                                             Those are 1:43,5 (7mm to the foot scale)

              - Slaters, I have and look nice and have a "flat" outside frame (sorry don't know how to discribe it better).

                                              Those are Hudson's, a very specific type.

                                              I've heard that Slater's are not 1/32 but 1/35, but not sure.

              - Wrightlines skip/bogies. I don't have those but have a [ shaped frame and are supposedly more 1:32 than O-scale (designed by Roy C Link ?!?). Due to the frame I would very much like to have those.

                                             Those are 1/32 and a more "international" prototype: from

                                             Decauville (France) to O&K (Germany)  every factory has

                                             produced that type in several sizes and gauges.

            • Roy C Link
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 2, 2009
                Gentlemen,

                The KBscale skips are indeed to strict 1:43.5 scale, 7mm to one foot. They are replicas of the Robert Hudson (Leeds) 'Rugga' skip. This is a design dating to the early 1930s and the channel frame is formed with the channel facing inwards.

                The skips sold by Wrightlines come from patterns I made in the early 1980s and, although sold by Wrightlines as 7mm scale are actually 1:32 scale models of a 1/2 cubic yard UK manufactured 'continental' skip.

                The skips currently sold by Slater's are true 1:32 scale and originated with messrs Bantock & Lantz. They are 'Rugga' type. Later, they sold the patterns to Terry VanWinkle in the USA and he used pattern maker David H Smith to improve the patterns and create a plastic injection tool for the bucket (the original was a two part casting. To the best of my knowledge, Dick Christ (a friend of TVW) had no connection with the model that I know of. Made under the name 'Bridge Models' the range moved to Slater's - where David H Smith is now chief designer.

                You can check most of this through the pages of 'Narrow Gauge & Industrial Railway Modelling REVIEW' - it is all there if you care to look for it!

                Roy C Link

                www.narrowgaugeandindustrial.com

                On 2 Oct 2009, at 09:28, daniel caso wrote:

                Marc:

                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 2, 2009
                  Eoy:

                      Thank you for the specifications.

                       Are the plastic kits you mention still available? So yes, where?

                       I bought years ago a batch from  Wrightlines and not being skilled for accurate soldering I gave the task of soldering the brass buckets to an "artist" here who wanted to be paid in advance. So I did just to regret it because once soldered no rivet detail was left.
                  So I ended with a dozen of frames to be used as boguies.
                       Since then my soldering skills have improved a little but still I would prefer the plastic ones.

                       Thank you.

                                         Daniel

                • fvtavernier@free.fr
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 2, 2009
                    Selon Roy C Link <royclink@...>:

                    > Gentlemen,
                    >
                    > Made under the name
                    > 'Bridge Models' the range moved to Slater's - where David H Smith is
                    > now chief designer.
                    >
                    > > Roy C Link

                    Roy,

                    The range moved first from Bridge Models to Light Railway Materials owned by
                    Terry, and after to Slater's...

                    Franck
                  • Roy C Link
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 2, 2009
                      Only the KBscale (1:43.5) kits are all plastic (metal axles and tyres).

                      The Wrightlines kits have cast whitemetal chassis and supports etc, I don't know the current material for the buckets - when I sold the kits the buckets were etched brass.

                      The Slater's kits are whitemetal - only the bucket mouldings are plastic.

                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 2, 2009
                        Thank you Roy.

                                         Daniel

                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 2, 2009
                          Daniel & all-I built and reviewed for a magazine the 1:32 v tippers from Mr Van Winkle's firm a few years ago and they are/were fine models with accurate details. However, since I operate outside in the sunlight, the plastic buckets lasted one day in the sun! I still have the bogies on a siding but the plastic buckets reside at the bottom of a canyon to represent wrecks. I have learned some hard lessons as to what works out on my railroad and what doesn't. My Daniel Caso laser MDF kits operate on the layout and have actually spent several nights outside under the stars and show no damage. The MDF must be properly sealed and painted, and I do not advocate leaving such fine models outside but they seem to have "weathered" the hot Texas sun.  I do not know if any of this has helped anyone, I just wanted to write something.        Woodie

                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 2, 2009
                            Hi Woodie:

                                 First: I realize just now that I didn't comment your photos at the outlaws groep. Sorry, I did loocked at them several times but forgot to send you a comment. I will do that later in that group.

                                About those skips: would you post some pictures of them both, frames and buckets?
                                I don't care they are damaged  as long as I can see them.
                                Are they still available? Where?
                                I don't think they would smelt even with the stronger sunny day here (don't forget I live in Holland!) and anyway the only chance of having a layout outside would be a mini  Zn15 small enough to fit in my balcony.
                                                                              #:-)

                               Good to know that the kits aren't so vulnerable as some people fear. Thank you for telling that.

                               And next time you "just want to write something" start by posting those Mogollon Ry pictures here and telling the group! You have certainly plentu to tell!

                                     Daniel

                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 2, 2009
                              Hu guys,

                              Thanks for all the replies and explenations bur does anyone know if the Wrightline kits are available somewhere ?

                              Thanks in advance
                              (the other) Marc ;-)
                            • Kelvin A. White
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 3, 2009
                                Roy

                                Will the chassis on the Wrightline's skip allow the fitting of 19mm ie 2ft gauge wheels?

                                Thanks

                                Kelvin White
                                Oxford, England

                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 4, 2009
                                  Kelvin,

                                  My original patterns were cast in brass - the side tippling wagons on my 1:32 version of 'Crowsnest Tramway' were made to run on 3/4in. gauge track.

                                  See article (and photos) in the REVIEW, issue 26. I made new buckets from pantographed brass parts. The chassis though, remained unaltered - apart from one which I extended to make a 'brake end platform' version.

                                  I doubt being cast in whitemetal makes any difference, in fact, the brass castings probably exhibited more shrinkage.

                                  Roy

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 4, 2009
                                    Roy

                                    Many thanks - I'll hopefully see Kay / Adrian at Expo NG and check them out, the next task will be to persuade Slater's to actually re-release the Rushton - they've had my order / mastercard details for ages.

                                    Kelvin White
                                    Oxford, England

                                    Email:   kelvin@...

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Oct 4, 2009
                                      I can't speak for 19mm gauge, but I've successfully regauged a couple
                                      of underframes that date from back in the era when Roy was producing
                                      them to 18mm gauge, and there's still plenty of space left between
                                      the outside of the wheelsets and the inside of the frame: the opening
                                      inside the frame is 24.25mm, although the flanges on the bearing
                                      bushes intrude into this slightly. Of course, this assumes there were
                                      no changes made subsequently under Wrightlines' ownership.

                                      Kevin Crosado
                                      De Selby Research