Re: [FS32NGModelrail] Track, Locos and Rolling Stock.

  • Stephen Auslender
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 6, 2009
      Hello Tony in Tampa
      There are resin kits of WW1 military narrow gauge railroad items in 1/32 by Scale Link  http://www.scalelink.co.uk/acatalog/Narrow_Gauge__60cm__Railway.html

      If the link does not work well just type in Scale Link Ltd on your search engine and the link will appear.
      will bring up the home page and then you scroll and pick to find the WW1 narrow gauge page. They have a number of the engines and cars available in kit form, with and without power and wheelsets.
      Enjoy,
      Stephen

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 6, 2009
        Kelvin

        I will be modeling in 3/8thn3. I believe the track would be one and a quarter inch.
        No prototype since it will be a backwoods kind of operation.

        Thanks

        Tony in Tampa
      • emil_hoffmann
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 6, 2009
          Building on Stephen's message for anyone interested in the trench railways of the Great War.
          Currently, TheRedLancers.com have a number of ScaleLink railway items on sale; to include three cars & a Hunslett loco.

          As information, these items run on HO rail; approximating 60cm in 1/32.
        • Kelvin A. White
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 6, 2009
            2ft gauge in 3/8 is 3/4inch or ON3 19mm ish - 16.5mm is far too small - the
            Hunslet loco would topple over on anything but perfect track. I've built a
            Scale Link WD wagon for true gauge 32n2 - its not difficult, nor is building
            your own track.

            Best regards

            Kelvin White
            Oxford, England

            Email: kelvin@...

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 6, 2009
              Tony

              I call 1/32 3ft NG modelling 32n3 - it's my chosen scale gauge combination
              and to be accurate you use 9/8th (1inch 1/8th) gauge track. If you use 32mm
              Inch and a quater (O Gauge) in 3/8th scale you are modelling 40 inch gauge -
              just over metre gauge but not quite 3ft 6in which is popular with our Aussie
              / Kiwi friends. For 3ft 6in model in 9mm / ft.

              Anyway 40inch, metre gauge , 3ft 6inch is a pretty rare thing for the
              backwoods of the States. Its up to you if you want to fudge your modelling.
              There were a few 2ft and 2ft 6in logging / backwoods lines in the US - but
              the majority were 3ft. I suspect modifying 0n3 3/4 inch gauge for 32n2
              modelling is no more difficult than regauging 32mm gauge items down to
              1+1/8.

              The choice is yours - accuracy or fudge!

              Best regards

              Kelvin White
              Oxford, England

              Email: kelvin@...

              > I will be modeling in 3/8thn3. I believe the track would be one and a
              > quarter inch.
              > No prototype since it will be a backwoods kind of operation.
              >
              > Thanks
              >
              > Tony in Tampa

            • emil_hoffmann
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 6, 2009
                Hello Kelvin !

                Pleased to hear you've sampled the ScaleLink line. Personally, I've been disappointed with the company since John Piper sold it some years ago. I had hoped the railway venture would continue with more French, and possibly German items, but it appears that is not to be.

                --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, "Kelvin A. White" <kelvin@...> wrote:

                > 2ft gauge in 3/8 is 3/4inch or ON3 19mm ish - 16.5mm is far too small - the
                > Hunslet loco would topple over on anything but perfect track. I've built a
                > Scale Link WD wagon for true gauge 32n2 - its not difficult, nor is building
                > your own track.
                >
                > Best regards
                >
                > Kelvin White
                > Oxford, England
                >
                > Email: kelvin@...

              • Stephen Auslender
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 6, 2009
                  It all depends on how true to scale you want to make your models. It is not so much the convenience of using existing track, the HO ties are all wrong for the 60cm military track that was used, but it is the existence of inexpensive and readily available HO gauge, and in England OO gauge power units, trucks and axle sets that encourages many of us to use available track and parts. There is always a trade off between accuracy and function.
                  If one is making a static diorama then one can work close to scale. But if one wants a running and operating model railroad then there are different priorities to be considered.
                  The degree of accuracy to scale is always an individuals decision.
                  Personally, I like the Three Foot Rule: "If the model looks good from three feet away then it is in scale."
                  For some of us, this is a hobby, meant for fun and recreation, and not an additional source of hard work and stress.
                  For others, this modeling activity is a challenge, where one exerts oneself to get the ultimate in scale representation of reality.
                  This hobby is big enough to give pleasure to all of us, no matter how we make or run our models.
                  Enjoy,
                  Stephen.

                  Email: kelvin@torteval. co.uk

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 6, 2009
                    Kelvin-depends on which scale you use. 16.5 MM in 1:32 is 20", 16.5 MM in 1:35 scale is right about 24".  I personally like fudge, especially when made with lots of chocolate.
                    As for what to use, consider that available On30 loco mechanisms work well for a larger scale, track will need to be hand laid (Peco On30 track is close with their large ties-sleepers), rolling stock is available-try Daniel's new laser cut kits, and there are many parts available ans much can be "scrounged" from smaller scales also. Good luck.    Woodie

                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 22, 2009
                      Hi,

                      Another option for 16,5mm or 19mm trackwork could be the very nice kits from Wenz (Germany) http://wenz-modellbau.eshop.t-online.de look under 0n30 or 0n3.

                      Wenz sells kits for trackwork with wooden ties. This means you could weather ties to whatever extend you like and you can space the ties as you would like them.

                      regards,
                      Marc

                      PS since I am relative new to 1:35/32 and also planning to build a small free-lance diorama, I am very curious what you are planning.