RE: [FS32NGModelrail] Re: Narrow gauge overhead power collection/A MISTERY

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 12, 2009
      Hi:

          It seems a little strange: the message I am answering is posted by Alejandro from Buenos Aires as answer to another message from the group. But the text is mine (I'm in Amsterdam), not Alejandro's, and he is now asking me where is his text.
          He has checked at 'sent' and he still has the original sent message WITH his text.
          Any idea?

                                 Daniel

      From: andybantock <andrew.bantock@ virgin.net>
      To: FS32NGModelrail@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Friday, June 12, 2009, 8:59 PM

      --- In FS32NGModelrail@ yahoogroups. com, Woodie Greene <mogollonry@ ...> wrote:

      > Now all I need to get started on this project is for someone to say-"you can't do that!". The fiber optic idea is probably the way to go. I just don't know if the loco would be the same without the spark!  I was thinking about running the loco with r/c and a small onboard battery since it is so small and "traditional" power might make for erratic operation. The fiber optic "collector" would probably blink on and off due to power demands from the tiny motor. I have to "imagineer" this out. Lots of work for a model that will run on maybe 6 feet of track, but it would sure be cool. I wish that I had never seen the video of the line, ignorance really is bliss.       Woodie

      Woodie

      The whole point of fibre optics is that they don't leak light out the sides so that's a non starter.

      My suggestion is to stick with the battery for traction but to have a working circuit for the spark. Steel overhead wire and a copper wand with a high voltage - say 50 or 60 volts DC but a very low current supply.

      To get sparks I'd coat the overhead wire with lacquer or varnish over most of its length and expose very small sections (perhaps only a couple of millimetres) so that when the wand hits that area a real live spark is generated.

      It's just a suggestion but I think it'll work.

      Andy Bantock

      __________ Información de NOD32 3990 (20090406) __________

      Este mensaje ha sido analizado con NOD32 Antivirus System
      http://www.nod32. com

    • Alejandro Eilberg

                 You still may use the end of independent fibres  for each sparking place,. Wuith a little though the lighting can be easily arranged.

                               Daniel

        > Now all I need to get started on this project is for someone to say-"you
        can't do that!". The fiber optic idea is probably the way to go. I just don't know if the loco would be the same without the spark!  I was thinking about running the loco with r/c and a small onboard battery since it is so small and "traditional" power might make for erratic operation. The fiber optic "collector" would probably blink on and off due to power demands from the tiny motor. I have to "imagineer" this out. Lots of work for a model that will run on maybe 6 feet of track, but it would sure be cool. I wish that I had never seen the video of the line, ignorance really is bliss.       Woodie

        Woodie

        The whole point of fibre optics is that they don't leak light out the sides so that's a non starter.

        My suggestion is to stick with the battery for traction but to have a working circuit for the spark. Steel overhead wire and a copper wand with a high voltage - say 50 or 60 volts DC but a very low current supply.

        To get sparks I'd coat the overhead wire with lacquer or varnish over most of its length and expose very small sections (perhaps only a couple of millimetres) so that when the wand hits that area a real live spark is generated.

        It's just a suggestion but I think it'll work.

        Andy Bantock

        __________ Información de NOD32 3990 (20090406) __________

        Este mensaje ha sido analizado con NOD32 Antivirus System
        http://www.nod32. com

        __________ Información de ESET NOD32 Antivirus, versión de la base de firmas de virus 4152 (20090612) __________

        ESET NOD32 Antivirus ha comprobado este mensaje.

        http://www.eset.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 12, 2009
          And now is even more strange; the message below was sent by me  but appears as sent by Alejandro. This is crazy!

                                                     Daniel

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 12, 2009
            Hello,

            this is a test message via web post

            Alejandro

            --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, daniel caso <d.caso@...> wrote:

            > Hi:
            >
            >     It seems a little strange: the message I am answering is posted by Alejandro from Buenos Aires as answer to another message from the group. But the text is mine (I'm in Amsterdam), not Alejandro's, and he is now asking me where is his text.
            >     He has checked at 'sent' and he still has the original sent message WITH his text.
            >     Any idea?
            >
            >                            Daniel

          • Alejandro Eilberg
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 13, 2009
              Hi,

              If you change to "View Source Mode" (at the right of the messages) it is possible to read the entire text I've written in message 6947 related to the overhead connection.

              regards,

            • David.Halfpenny
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 13, 2009
                The problem is character encoding in messages sent using HTML or Rich Text.

                Yahoo have a Moderator Central forum on which they give news to group
                Moderators.

                They have explained on this forum that the problem is a puzzle to them as
                well.

                It seems to affect users of Outlook mostly, but some other email software
                as well.

                They are trying to find a solution, and meanwhile there are two things that
                we can do:

                1) Moderators can set their groups to block HTML text.
                Unfortunately, this will also block picture attachments.

                2) Individuals need to click
                Tools
                Send
                and set their email Options to Send in Plain Text
                AND Uncheck the tick box that says 'Reply to messages in the format in
                which they were sent'.

                David 1/2d

                > And now is even more strange; the message below was sent by me but
                > appears as sent by Alejandro. This is crazy!

                .yahoo.com
              • Alejandro Eilberg
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 13, 2009
                  David,

                  Ok, it seems option 2 is the present way.

                  Regards,

                  Alejandro

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 13, 2009
                    O.K., but... are you still me?