Re: What's on the Workbench

  • ianj0trains
    Message 1 of 4 , May 25, 2009
      Jim,

      Please post photos of your work in progress. It is always interesting to see how others do things.

      Cheers

      Ian J

      --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, "jimh98363" <jimandterri@...> wrote:

      > I haven't posted much (just a lurker so far), but have seen this (workbench-thing) done in other groups and thought I'd share what I'm working on at the moment.
      >
      > I'm not modeling 1/32 exactly, I am actually modeling 1/35 scale,
      > 2-foot gauge using HO scale track and mechanisms. I also have plans to use some of the Bachmann On30 trucks and locomotives.
      >
      > At the moment, as sort of trial experiment in this, I have torn apart an old Athearn S12 and am finishing up a 1/35 scale freelanced 2-foot gauge center cab.
      >
      > I couldn't use the Athearn frame intact, so I cut it up and used the bolsters and motor mount, and built a new heavier frame I replaced the Athearn wheel-sets with custom-turned larger wheel-sets from NWSL and then scratch-built talgo truck frames around them. I'm using O scale standard Kadee couplers.
      >
      > I replaced the Athearn motor with one of the "Helix Humpers" and have wired it for DCC.
      >
      > The body shell is entirely scratch built from styrene and I use O scale standard detail parts (bell, etc), though I had a large set of HO scale SP barrel headlights that fit this thing nicely.
      >
      > No pictures as yet, but when it's finished I'll try to upload a couple.
      >
      > Hope this is of interest. If not, sorry.
      >

      > Jim Hauff
      > Port Angeles, WA

    • Vince Bradley
      Message 2 of 4 , May 26, 2009
        Jim,
        I am using two similar unites for my 1 3/2nd scale layout. The chassis are
        Life Like and only require widening of the truck to 19mm. Operation is
        excellent. The bodies are scratch built using plasticard with turned bits.
        The cabs are on the ends and the drivers sit sideways. These provide
        reliable motive power while I finish other things. I thing I forgot is that
        they are DCC equipped with sound.
        Vincent Bradley,
        Cincinnati, Ohio