The Railway Age in the Carpathian Forests...

  • Mark L. Stonbraker
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 21, 2009
      Hello All,

      Found this interesting .pdf file while perusing the internet. It
      covers The Railway Age in the Carpathian Forests: A Study of Romania...

      http://www.ig.ns.ac.yu/casopisi/panonica/pappers/volume07_02.pdf

      or

      http://tinyurl.com/dk8gdm

      Enjoy,
      Mark Stonbraker
    • David.Halfpenny
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 21, 2009
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 28, 2009
          Hello Mark,

          together with my girlfriend I was in Romania in Sep. 2006, the year
          before Romania became part of the EU, so it was very interesting for me
          to read especially the PDF you found - thanks a lot.
          We were for 5 days on the "Wassertalbahn" ("Vaser Valley"), have a look
          for www.wassertalbahn.ch
          ! ! ! Currently this line needs help, as it was washed away by flooding
          last year, but they are rebuilding it :-)

          Beside the last remaining forest RR in the Vaser Valley, there are some
          enthusiasts starting to bring back to "some" life the line between Sibiu
          and Agnita (not forest RR), you can use Google Earth to follow the track
          bed. Have a look for : www.sibiuagnitarailway.com

          Also the incline in Comandau is preserved, a movie from this line is:
          http://www.livevideo.com/video/1695322797154735BACDB2129078D63F/planul-inclinat-comandau.aspx
          Someone did a model:
          http://www.modellbahnspezialist.de/projekteanlagenbau/textwaldbahncovasna/bilderwaldbahn/index.html

          There is a "kit" (paper) in 1:35 of a "Resita" (typical romanian forest
          loco) available: http://www.betexa.cz/eng/jed_parni_vlacek.html

          An english DVD I have is: http://www.ingr.co.uk/vids_dig2.html (I have
          some 5 more in German)

          And ... there is much more to be seen in Romania:
          - Beside Rome and Greek the Dacians where the 3rd high culture in
          antique europe, an there a some ruins left ;-)
          - monastaries in the Bucovina (world heritage)
          - historic faming techniques (elsewhere already in a museum) are still
          in use
          - one of the best European open air museums: "Dumbrova" in Sibiu (houses
          from all around Romania)

          ==> Romania is a country worth to visit, but do not wait to long as it
          will change a lot as part of the EU.
          Accommodation in 2006 was quite cheap: 15,00 ... 17,00 euro: dinner + B&B.

          kind regards
          Sven
          (Hamburg, Germany)

          P.S.: I love this line: www.*treninoverde*.com , 950mm Italy-Sardegna