  • Daniel Osvaldo Caso
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 10, 2009
      Hi all:
      "Tanks above the boiler"is the name of a new photo album with
      pictures of what seems to be a very common practice in Java. The
      pictures come from the book SWEET STEAM and there are many more alike.
      But Uruguay and Indonesia aren't the only countries where
      this practice was used. I can't recall if it was the Denver and Rio
      Grande & Southern of the Colorado & Sothern 3'gauge line in the U.S.
      but I remember at least one loco -probably a 2-8-0 Consolidation-
      carrying also such a drum above the boiler, with it axle perpendicular
      to the boiler's. Having a huge tender behind, the loco must be
      carrying sand in the drum. I don't know.
      I will post a couple more tomorrow. (Sorry, I am really tired
      and tomorrow I'm going to walk 12km across the dunes in good company,
      so I must be fit for it, thus I'm going to bed now.)

      Daniel
    • Brian Rumary
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 28, 2009
        Daniel Osvaldo Caso wrote:

        > "Tanks above the boiler"is the name of a new photo album with
        > pictures of what seems to be a very common practice in Java. The
        > pictures come from the book SWEET STEAM and there are many more alike.

        These tanks contained fuel oil, which was used to fire the loco when the
        usual Bagasse fuel was not available or to give extra "punch" to the
        fire when working hard.

        Brian Rumary, England