Blackening Metal [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

  • Rod Hutchinson
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 31, 2008

      Happy New Year to all,

      I have been blackening metals with a couple of brands of blackening solution.  With brass I obtain a nice blue/black finish; with white-metal I get a variegated spotty black and white-metal finish.

      Is it possible to get white metal to blacken all over, and if so how may I achieve that?

      For Australians:

      Has anyone been successful blackening brass with Brunel Models “Black Magic”?

      Regards

      Rod Hutchinson

      Mooroolbark, Australia

    • Rod Hutchinson
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 31, 2008
        Hi all,

        When I blacken white metal I get a brown powder in the solution. It
        does settle to the bottom after a few days.

        What is it?
        Should I decant the remaining 'clear' solution and throw the brown
        powder away?

        Regards
        Rod Hutchinson
        Mooroolbark, Australia
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 31, 2008
          Happy new year for you too!

          Well, probably this will sound ridiculous in this time
          of lasers, leds, and so on, but 47 years ago the owner
          of one of the trains stores in Buenos Aires explained
          me that his method for blackening metal (not white
          metal, obviously) was to put some sand in a jar, drop
          some used -he called "branded"motor oil in it and
          heating it on the flame. Then he just deepened the
          piece of metal in the hat sand/motor oil and that was
          it. I never tried it but I also never forgot it. may
          be it works.

          Daniel

          --- Rod Hutchinson <r.hutchinson@...> wrote:

          > Happy New Year to all,
          >

          > I have been blackening metals with a couple of
          > brands of blackening
          > solution. With brass I obtain a nice blue/black
          > finish; with
          > white-metal I get a variegated spotty black and
          > white-metal finish.
          >

          > Is it possible to get white metal to blacken all
          > over, and if so how may
          > I achieve that?
          >

          > For Australians:
          >
          > Has anyone been successful blackening brass with
          > Brunel Models "Black
          > Magic"?
          >

          > Regards
          >
          > Rod Hutchinson
          >
          > Mooroolbark, Australia

        • Rod Hutchinson
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 31, 2008
            To all who posted comments,

            For white-metal, cleanliness is the key. I have scrubbed the
            white-metal with a fibreglass brush, and the white-metal has blackened
            all over in Brunel's product.

            I have fibreglass shards over my work bench.

            Regards
            Rod Hutchinson
            Mooroolbark, Australia