Re: COACHING

  • Charles Hansen
    Message 1 of 27 , Dec 11, 2008
      Info for 1/32 & 1/35 scale NG modellers
        Daniel -

      One minor correction to your message.

      >Charles has informed me from the very beginning that he was
        talking about cutting the kit with Bill Banta. I understood Bill and
        Charles were friends and that was making possible to let cut a few
        kits, as many as needed to supply our fellows in the States. Again I
        was wrong.

      Actually, you were not wrong as this was exactly my intent.  It seemed to me that you were at an impasse in terms of getting the coaches cut and distributed around the world.  I knew you had sent the file to Australia for local production and said I'd be willing to do the same for the U.S.  However, I didn't know how many kits were needed, so my thought was to have Banta do a test cut, announce availability, and then ask him to produce the required number.

      Basically he was doing custom work on a 'on demand' basis.  There was never any prior agreement regarding the number of kits to be produced, although I was expecting around 20-30 based on the previously announced interest.  However, as you are experiencing, that interest seems to disappear when it comes time for a real commitment.

      At this point I think I'll have Banta produce a few kits for me to justify the design charge and anyone else who wants a coach should work with Daniel.  I didn't mean to compete with him, but at the time I and Banta started working on this it looked like Daniel couldn't find anyone in Europe to produce the kit at reasonable cost and 'distributed production' was the accepted solution.  I was surprised when he announced he had found someone to produce the kit, but by that time I was already committed to working with Banta as he had done the design work and made the sample cut.

      Charles

    • Marc Reusser
      Message 2 of 27 , Dec 12, 2008
        I just wanted to point out that this has been a somewhat peculiar
        conversation/discourse...especially in regards to the "minimums"......

        ....maybe it's just where I live, or maybe I'm just lucky....but why
        are you guys dealing with all these guys/manufaturers that have
        minimum runs?......I can email a file to, or just go down to, a
        graphics shop here and have them cut whatever I want, and however
        many I want....no minimums....I can even wait while they cut
        it.....all you pay for is the laser/cutting time.....which last time
        was about $1.00 per minute. So your "per kit" price merely depends on
        the complexity/quantity of cutting required.

        ....so...why not do them on a per order basis...tack on 10-15% for
        profit, add shipping, and you're done. No muss, No fuss, no minimums.

        Marc
        Message 3 of 27 , Dec 12, 2008
          Hi Mark:
          You are right, except that I've been unable to
          localize such a shop here in Holland. Anyway I hope
          Alejandro is reading this and will consider offering
          here such a service. It certainly won't climb to big
          orders but would generate pretty some initiatives. In
          my case I would be ordering periodically -may be
          monthly- a couple of cuts and, since I would be
          sharing here and in Free Rails my drawings, probably
          they will be more orders.
          Alejandro: what do you think about this?
          Charles: may be you also could arrange
          something similar with Bill Banta.
          One thing is sure: I will keep sharing my
          drawings as with the coach.

          Daniel

          --- Marc Reusser <marc@...> wrote:

          > I just wanted to point out that this has been a
          > somewhat peculiar
          > conversation/discourse...especially in regards to
          > the "minimums"......
          >
          > ....maybe it's just where I live, or maybe I'm just
          > lucky....but why
          > are you guys dealing with all these
          > guys/manufaturers that have
          > minimum runs?......I can email a file to, or just go
          > down to, a
          > graphics shop here and have them cut whatever I
          > want, and however
          > many I want....no minimums....I can even wait while
          > they cut
          > it.....all you pay for is the laser/cutting
          > time.....which last time
          > was about $1.00 per minute. So your "per kit" price
          > merely depends on
          > the complexity/quantity of cutting required.
          >
          > ....so...why not do them on a per order basis...tack
          > on 10-15% for
          > profit, add shipping, and you're done. No muss, No
          > fuss, no minimums.
          >

          > Marc

        • Stephen Auslender
          Message 4 of 27 , Dec 12, 2008
            Marc,
            A few questions, please.
            What material and thickness are you having the items cut from?
            What is the name and location of the graphics shop that you use?
            I've been trying to accumulate some money to purchase my own laser cutter mahine. It might be less expensive to have a shop cut it for me.
            Stephen

            Message 5 of 27 , Dec 12, 2008
              Info for 1/32 & 1/35 scale NG modellers
              Daniel -

              Banta has no mimimum.  As I mentioned, he would need an order of 500 for a lower price.  The per kit price is based on the cost of stock and cutting time.

              I'm just planning to have a few coaches cut for myself as no-one else seems interested.

              Charles

              Message 6 of 27 , Dec 12, 2008
                Charles:
                It is O.K.. It is a bit disappointing to see
                the huge difference between the first list -there
                where 28 kits wanted- and what now happens. I think it
                is also a good lesson. It seems very important to me
                to accept that things are just as they are and not
                blaming our fellows. I assume we must design with tiny
                series of say ten to twenty kits in mind. May be the
                costs of cutting such small series will be a bit
                higher but anyway we will stay far below the prices of
                commercially produced kits and we'll have the
                pleasure of a wider variety and shorter delivering
                times than with coordinating this first try.

                I will certainly appreciate to see some pictures
                of your built up coaches.

                With regards

                Daniel

                --- Charles Hansen <velotrain@...> wrote:

                > Info for 1/32 & 1/35 scale NG modellersDaniel -
                >
                > Banta has no mimimum. As I mentioned, he would need
                > an order of 500 for a lower price. The per kit
                > price is based on the cost of stock and cutting
                > time.
                >
                > I'm just planning to have a few coaches cut for
                > myself as no-one else seems interested.
                >
                > Charles
                >

                > > Charles: may be you also could arrange
                > something similar with Bill Banta.
                > One thing is sure: I will keep sharing my
                > drawings as with the coach.

              • Jerry Kitts
                Message 7 of 27 , Dec 12, 2008
                  Daniel,

                  I can only speak for myself. I wanted a coach to try the mdf material
                  and assembling a laser cut kit. I have not bothered with other laser
                  kits because they are cut from plywood and the taken time to seal the
                  plywood to hid the grain is not worth while to me. My son bought a
                  rather expensive laser cut kit and has lost interest in sealing the
                  wood before he can do anything with the building. My son is not a
                  child and my full time partner in the kit business. My boy is our
                  youngest child and is 40 years old. So not a case of child losing
                  interest in the kit.

                  My son won a door prize at some show and it was a packing crate large
                  enough to make a load for a On3 flat car with bracing to keep the
                  load in place on the flat car. It was plywood but did not need paint.
                  Our biggest problem was it had some kind of self sticking backing so
                  no glue was needed to assemble the little kit. It keeps falling
                  apart, the adhesive does not hold. So any kit I see of interest that
                  also claims it has self sticking windows or what ever I just pass on
                  the kit.

                  My dropping off the list of wanting a coach was a mater of economics
                  and material. One when Euros were needed for payment I checked at my
                  local bank (I live in a very small town) that the cost of getting a
                  money order in Euros was more than the cost of the kit. The other is
                  I don't want a plywood kit as far as ordering one that Banta cut.

                  After the Christmas season I will pursue the idea of laser cut
                  styrene some more for part of our kit production. If it actually
                  works it seems a natural for say box car sides and our styrene detail
                  parts.

                  Jerry

                  On Dec 12, 2008, at 8:27 AM, daniel caso wrote:

                  > Charles:
                  > It is O.K.. It is a bit disappointing to see
                  > the huge difference between the first list -there
                  > where 28 kits wanted- and what now happens. I think it
                  > is also a good lesson. It seems very important to me
                  > to accept that things are just as they are and not
                  > blaming our fellows. I assume we must design with tiny
                  > series of say ten to twenty kits in mind. May be the
                  > costs of cutting such small series will be a bit
                  > higher but anyway we will stay far below the prices of
                  > commercially produced kits and we'll have the
                  > pleasure of a wider variety and shorter delivering
                  > times than with coordinating this first try.
                  >
                  > I will certainly appreciate to see some pictures
                  > of your built up coaches.
                  >
                  > With regards
                  >
                  > Daniel
                  >

                  > --- Charles Hansen <velotrain@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> Info for 1/32 & 1/35 scale NG modellersDaniel -
                  >>
                  >> Banta has no mimimum. As I mentioned, he would need
                  >> an order of 500 for a lower price. The per kit
                  >> price is based on the cost of stock and cutting
                  >> time.
                  >>
                  >> I'm just planning to have a few coaches cut for
                  >> myself as no-one else seems interested.
                  >>
                  >> Charles
                  >>

                  >>> Charles: may be you also could arrange
                  >> something similar with Bill Banta.
                  >> One thing is sure: I will keep sharing my
                  >> drawings as with the coach.
                  >>

                  > Send instant messages to your online friends http://
                  > uk.messenger.yahoo.com

                • Marc Reusser
                  Message 8 of 27 , Dec 12, 2008
                    Daniel,

                    I really think you need to stop worrying about what the kit will cost.

                    Remember you started this as an artistic endeavor for
                    yourself....making it available for others is a by-product....and if
                    others canot afford it, or more accurately...don't want to pay for
                    what it's worth, that is their loss/problem.

                    At this point you are already operating at a loss, trying to make
                    this economically available to others....and you will not be be able
                    to reccoup this.....so why not keep it as the artistic/personal
                    endeavor it was...and if others really want one, and appreciate what
                    went into doing/making it....they will pay the market rate...and
                    those that don't, aren't worth your time, and typically just end up
                    jerking you around anyhow (as you have already seen by the
                    sudden "non-existant orders")

                    Marc

                    Marc

                    --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, daniel caso <d.caso@...>

                    Message 9 of 27 , Dec 12, 2008
                      Jerry:
                      Don't worry. I understand perfectly. May be it
                      was my mistake to talk about paying in Euros. I
                      thought it would make things easier for me without
                      knowing it would provide such kind of complicationsfor
                      you nd others. Anyway may be another solution. Since I
                      am not earning money with this I think we can propose
                      to Alejandro you -and eventually others- ordering and
                      paying in u$s directly from/to him. In that case
                      probably the cost won't be more since posting from
                      Argentina to the U.S. may be cheaper than to The
                      Netherlands. At least not more expensive.
                      Alejandro is a member of our group too so if he
                      read this he will probably let us know if that would
                      be a possibility. But, I must say, since it is not
                      going to be an order for 50 kits the price will
                      probably be something more than the 24 u$s mentioned
                      when talking about the original 50.
                      I agree that ply presents an ugly problem with the
                      grain being at least 50% in the wrong direction. I
                      don't consider ply an alternative. I would prefer even
                      cardstock.
                      As I mentioned in other mail, Alejandro is
                      experimenting with 1mm styrene with not too much
                      trouble.He told me that for some rare reason cutting
                      black styrene works better than white. But that won't
                      be a problem for us. Anyway it will take some time
                      until we are sure we can count with properly clean
                      styrene cuttings.

                      I am sure your future styrene laser cut kits will
                      be great.

                      Daniel

                      Message 10 of 27 , Dec 12, 2008
                        Marc:
                        I understand. You are right, and that is what I
                        am doing now. It seems also a more natural option
                        since the coach kit has took already most of the
                        little free time i had for modelling and I still don't
                        have my own built!!!
                        Depending on the possibility of ordering from
                        every now and then from Alejandro a few kits -what
                        would be the best for me since I wouldn't be depending
                        on enough orders to get mine cut- I am planning to
                        complete the drawings for a dozen of projects and
                        would like to have all of them cut during the coming
                        year.
                        One of the things I am working on is a set of
                        MDF plates, cut to cover with different textures
                        (brick, asphalt,stone,etc) the Peco Setrack small
                        radius HO switches. (They are not expensive, work well
                        and are easy to find almost everywhere). I want to try
                        also vacuum forming for this. And now that I mention
                        this I see that it would be really easy to use vacuum
                        forming to make 1/32 scale corrugated iron plates.
                        I've never used this method but I've seen videos of
                        very cheap and simple home installations that work
                        just perfect. You can find a lot of this videos if you
                        search VACUUM FORMING in Youtube.

                        Daniel

                      • Alejandro Eilberg
                        Message 11 of 27 , Dec 12, 2008
                          Hi Daniel, Hi Marc,

                          I really prefer to do not "get in" in this "kind of conversations".

                          However I want to make some explanations:
                          1) in a local basis I get orders for perhaps just to cut a square of
                          1mm by 1mm in a 1mm MDF. And, as strange that this for somebody can
                          sound, I'll accept this order. The person who ordered this job, will
                          come to my workshop and after knocking the door will get (previous
                          payment) his work done.
                          2) In a worlwide basis, things should work the same way. So anybody
                          can order whatever he/she wants, and if it is something that we can
                          make in our workshop, we will do it. Of course after getting the
                          acceptation of a quotation, and getting the payment in advance.
                          Shipping costs are going to be estimated in relation to the size and
                          weight of the work, so this part of the cost has to be assumed by the
                          client. Also export taxes are also an extra; And all other charges
                          related to putting some merchandise into a Country (each Country with
                          its own rules) are costs that have to be paid by the client.

                          3)Related to Daniels Coach, once he gives the OK and places the order
                          for 50 kits, I'll cut them, check that everything is Ok, prepare a
                          parcel and send the expected merchandise to Amsterdam, Netherlands.
                          That's all.

                          4)If Daniel places an order for 1 Kit, I´ll cut just that: 1(ONE)
                          kit. And deliver it the same way.

                          5)If the Graphics Shop close to where Marc lives is suddendly closed,
                          and Marc needs urgent to order a cut, I´ll accept his order. Of
                          course he has to pay in advance for the time elapsed to do the cut,
                          the material involved and also assume all the derived shipping costs.

                          6)And finally the candy: What Daniel is trying to do is to put a
                          reassonable order in the more convenient way to drop down the
                          shipping costs. And that's it. No magics, no lies, no surprisses, no
                          nothing of nothing. If that makes angry to the esceptic guys, I
                          apologize for that, but it's their problem.

                          Enjoy,

                          Alejandro.

                          wrote:

                          > Hi Mark:
                          > You are right, except that I've been unable to
                          > localize such a shop here in Holland. Anyway I hope
                          > Alejandro is reading this and will consider offering
                          > here such a service. It certainly won't climb to big
                          > orders but would generate pretty some initiatives. In
                          > my case I would be ordering periodically -may be
                          > monthly- a couple of cuts and, since I would be
                          > sharing here and in Free Rails my drawings, probably
                          > they will be more orders.
                          > Alejandro: what do you think about this?
                          > Charles: may be you also could arrange
                          > something similar with Bill Banta.
                          > One thing is sure: I will keep sharing my
                          > drawings as with the coach.
                          >

                          > Daniel
                          >

                          > --- Marc Reusser <marc@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > I just wanted to point out that this has been a
                          > > somewhat peculiar
                          > > conversation/discourse...especially in regards to
                          > > the "minimums"......
                          > >
                          > > ....maybe it's just where I live, or maybe I'm just
                          > > lucky....but why
                          > > are you guys dealing with all these
                          > > guys/manufaturers that have
                          > > minimum runs?......I can email a file to, or just go
                          > > down to, a
                          > > graphics shop here and have them cut whatever I
                          > > want, and however
                          > > many I want....no minimums....I can even wait while
                          > > they cut
                          > > it.....all you pay for is the laser/cutting
                          > > time.....which last time
                          > > was about $1.00 per minute. So your "per kit" price
                          > > merely depends on
                          > > the complexity/quantity of cutting required.
                          > >
                          > > ....so...why not do them on a per order basis...tack
                          > > on 10-15% for
                          > > profit, add shipping, and you're done. No muss, No
                          > > fuss, no minimums.
                          > >

                          > > Marc

                          http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

                        • Marc Reusser
                          Message 12 of 27 , Dec 13, 2008
                            Stephen,

                            It is a local shop here in Pasadena. Wood and "chip-board"
                            (cardboard) were what I have had cut. I don't know what their max
                            thickness is....never have asked. Laser cuuting is just one of the
                            services they offer. They also offer 3D-Rapid Prototyping, and a
                            variety of different specialty printing/plotting services.

                            I would rather not post the name online, as the last thing I think
                            he/they need is a bunch of calls and questions that will lead to
                            nothing in the end but a waste of his time (not in regards to your
                            query). I don't believe they do or are set up to do shipping anyhow.
                            Their primary customers are local architects, designers, and the
                            students at Art Center College.

                            But I know for a fact (from conversations with them) that there are
                            several Mfr's. here in the states that will do 1-off cuts for simply
                            the cost of any set-up time, material cost, and cutting time (at
                            least if you approach them properly). In return one of course has to
                            simply accept what they charge...and pay it without questioning or
                            complaining....and they have to know that you are serious about it.
                            (all of which are rare in the RR hobby community). They also prefer
                            that you have at least a properly scaled/layered/prepped .dxf file.
                            (or a Corel draw file, which is what I believe they convert the .dxf
                            to)......having to deal with correcting someones file so that it
                            works of course increases the price.....and if something doesn't
                            work/fit/build properly after cutting is of course the clients fault,
                            as he supplied the drawing. (something many RR hobbyists often can't
                            seem to grasp)

                            Marc

                            --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Auslender"
                            <auslend@...> wrote:

                            > Marc,
                            > A few questions, please.
                            > What material and thickness are you having the items cut from?
                            > What is the name and location of the graphics shop that you use?
                            > I've been trying to accumulate some money to purchase my own laser
                            cutter mahine. It might be less expensive to have a shop cut it for
                            me.
                            > Stephen

                          • Daniel Osvaldo Caso
                            Message 13 of 27 , Dec 29, 2008
                              Dear Claus,
                              Roger,
                              Terry,
                              Lennart,
                              James,
                              Claus and others
                              eventually interested in the coach kit:

                              With some delay -I apologise- I am just back from the post office.
                              The posting costs for Europe will be as follow:

                              1 kit Euro 6.-
                              2 kits Euro 8.-
                              3 kits Euro 10.-
                              4 kits Euro 12.-

                              For the U.S. will be:

                              1 kit Euro 10,20.-
                              2 kits Euro 13,10.-

                              Claus: I don't mention here the posting costs for Australia because
                              you have been so kind sending me that wonderful magazine that I want
                              to pay now your posting costs for the kit/s.

                              Anyway I am waiting an answer from Alejandro: I asked him if
                              they would agree at posting de kits directly to each of you. That
                              would make it not just a bit cheaper but also faster, since then the
                              kits don't need to come to Amsterdam first. If he agree also paying
                              would be less complicated and you would may pay him directly, what,
                              again, will reduce costs in comparison of transferting the money to me
                              and then me re-sending it to them. As you know I am not earning money
                              with the coach so for me doesn't matter at all which way you prefer.

                              The second kit is coming up and you all will be surprised. It is
                              a much elaborated kit but it will be as easy to assemble as the first
                              one. I have the drawings ready and the only thing that must now be
                              done is translating them to Corel so it may be sent to be cut. I have
                              been working on the definitive drawings but didn't made a 3D drawing
                              yet. I will try to have one done during this week and will upload it
                              to the group as soon as is ready.

                              So my advice is to have a little patience until Alejandro
                              answers my message -which I expect to happen today or tomorrow-.

                              Until now the orders I've got are:

                              Claus Nielsen: 4 kits.
                              Lennart 1 kit.
                              Terry 2 kits.
                              Roger 2 kits.
                              James 1 or two (???) kits. (please confirm)
                              Claus 3 kits.

                              If I forgot someone or other fellows want to order too, please let
                              me know.

                              I wish you all a wonderful, really GOOD 2009.

                              Message 14 of 27 , Jan 17, 2009
                                Marc:
                                Here a photo I've found today at the library and
                                after following the evolution of your work I thought
                                may be it would be of some interest for you.

                                Daniel

                                --- Marc Reusser <marc@...> wrote:

                                > I just wanted to point out that this has been a
                                > somewhat peculiar
                                > conversation/discourse...especially in regards to
                                > the "minimums"......
                                >
                                > ....maybe it's just where I live, or maybe I'm just
                                > lucky....but why
                                > are you guys dealing with all these
                                > guys/manufaturers that have
                                > minimum runs?......I can email a file to, or just go
                                > down to, a
                                > graphics shop here and have them cut whatever I
                                > want, and however
                                > many I want....no minimums....I can even wait while
                                > they cut
                                > it.....all you pay for is the laser/cutting
                                > time.....which last time
                                > was about $1.00 per minute. So your "per kit" price
                                > merely depends on
                                > the complexity/quantity of cutting required.
                                >
                                > ....so...why not do them on a per order basis...tack
                                > on 10-15% for
                                > profit, add shipping, and you're done. No muss, No
                                > fuss, no minimums.
                                >

                                > Marc

                              • Rod Hutchinson
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jan 17, 2009
                                  Hi Daniel,

                                  That boiler/loco picture is very suitable for anyone modelling an
                                  Australian bush sawmill.

                                  Regards
                                  Rod Hutchinson
                                  Mooroolbark, Australia

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jan 17, 2009
                                    Rod:
                                    Great!
                                    I've sent it to Marc just because he is working on
                                    something alike. But if others can enjoy it much
                                    better!

                                    Daniel

                                    --- Rod Hutchinson <r.hutchinson@...> wrote:

                                    > Hi Daniel,
                                    >
                                    > That boiler/loco picture is very suitable for anyone
                                    > modelling an
                                    > Australian bush sawmill.
                                    >
                                    > Regards
                                    > Rod Hutchinson
                                    > Mooroolbark, Australia
                                    >

                                    > Marc:
                                    > Here a photo I've found today at the library
                                    > and after following
                                    > the evolution of your work I thought maybe it would
                                    > be of some interest
                                    > for you.
                                    >
                                    > Daniel

                                  • Rod Hutchinson
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jan 17, 2009
                                      Daniel,

                                      I have been in discussions with an Aussie Bush Tramway/Sawmill historian
                                      and a modeller. Boiler discussion has been high on the agenda. There
                                      are big differences between Australian and American practises. Most
                                      Australian boilers were horizontal, not vertical like many American
                                      styles. Most were ex-factory or traction engine type.

                                      This picture is a nice one to add to our mix.

                                      Regards
                                      Rod Hutchinson
                                      Mooroolbark, Australia

                                      http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jan 17, 2009
                                        Rod:
                                        I will visit the library again next month and will
                                        look for more for you then.

                                      • Marc Reusser
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jan 19, 2009
                                          --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, daniel caso <d.caso@...> wrote:

                                          > Marc:
                                          > Here a photo I've found today at the library and
                                          > after following the evolution of your work I thought
                                          > may be it would be of some interest for you.

                                          Daniel,

                                          I did not receive the image. I do not get individual e-mails from this
                                          group.

                                          Thanks for thinking of me though.

                                          Cheers,

                                          Marc
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jan 19, 2009
                                            Marc:
                                            Here the picture. I have a couple of other images
                                            that may be of your interest and I will mail them to
                                            you later.

                                            I hope you everything is going good with you.
                                            Best wishes

                                            Daniel

                                            --- Marc Reusser <marc@...> wrote:

                                            > --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, daniel caso
                                            > <d.caso@...> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > Marc:
                                            > > Here a photo I've found today at the library
                                            > and
                                            > > after following the evolution of your work I
                                            > thought
                                            > > may be it would be of some interest for you.
                                            > >

                                            > Daniel,
                                            >
                                            > I did not receive the image. I do not get individual
                                            > e-mails from this
                                            > group.
                                            >
                                            > Thanks for thinking of me though.
                                            >
                                            > Cheers,
                                            >
                                            > Marc

                                          • Ron Goodrick
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jan 19, 2009
                                              Hi Rod and Daniel,
                                              Having owned a 6HP marshall portable in the long ago, I think I can be reasonably sure that it is a marshall portable without wheels.
                                              As well as the remains of the large Oval shaped marshall transfer ( decal) on the side of the barrel below the crosshead guide:
                                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall,_Sons_&_Co. and enlarge the pic for a better view of the insignia and it's location,
                                              there are many other Marshall features in it's construction.

                                              A genuine stationary plant wouldn't be sitting on the small bracket that is under the smokebox, which it now sits on.
                                              have a look at the Marshall's for sale at a UK dealer
                                              and have a look at the differences between manufacturers while you're there.

                                              Mine came from a shearing shed near Scone NSW and actually replaced an oil engine of even earlier vintage.
                                              Sawmills used bigger models, often twin cylinders, which also came in handy to build a Murray River paddle steamer. the mill owner just took a barge and took the wheels off a portable, built paddle wheels and some basic superstructure, connected up a chain drive, and you're in business.

                                              Found this tractor model supplier also, with some 1;32 models altho a bit modern:

                                              Hope this is of interest.
                                              regards
                                              Ron

                                              http://uk.messenger .yahoo.com

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Jan 19, 2009
                                                Ron:
                                                Great link! I was looking last week at Preston's
                                                site but so obsessed by finding a loco that didn't pay
                                                attention to all this. great!
                                                Also the pictures on Wikipedia, when enlarged,
                                                are beautifull.
                                                The model tractors are all far to modern for me
                                                but I wonder if the Siku Farm Models carriage with
                                                horses wouldn't be a start for something more
                                                detailled. For that price the carriage, the horses and
                                                the figures, also if they need a lot of work could be
                                                a nice project.
                                                Thank you for sharing!

                                                --- Ron Goodrick <albatross@...>

                                              • Rod Hutchinson
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Jan 19, 2009
                                                  Daniel,

                                                  Re: the photo you sent to Marc and me. I am afraid my historian adviser
                                                  suggest this boiler is a little small for a full blown Australian
                                                  sawmill. Australian sawmills require 16" cylinders or 2 x 8" cylinders
                                                  to operate twin breakdown saws. Australian sawmills used a lot of
                                                  English portable or traction engines to supply steam power to mill
                                                  engines. It was quite rare to use vertical boilers, which were quite
                                                  common in the USA.

                                                  Quote:
                                                  Perfect for a spot mill but still only one cylinder - not big enough for
                                                  a full mill. Classed as a semi-portable engine ...
                                                  Peter Evans
                                                  www.peterevans.com.au

                                                  Unquote:

                                                  Regards
                                                  Rod Hutchinson
                                                  ----------------
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Jan 19, 2009
                                                    Rod:
                                                    Perfect!!! I mean: not for you but for the tiny
                                                    saw mill cutting sleepers for my 20" gauge
                                                    agricultural railway.
                                                    I will keep my eyes open next time i go to the
                                                    library to see if I can hunt something for you.
                                                    Thank you.

                                                    Daniel

                                                    --- Rod Hutchinson <r.hutchinson@...> wrote:

                                                    > Daniel,
                                                    >
                                                    > Re: the photo you sent to Marc and me. I am afraid
                                                    > my historian adviser
                                                    > suggest this boiler is a little small for a full
                                                    > blown Australian
                                                    > sawmill. Australian sawmills require 16" cylinders
                                                    > or 2 x 8" cylinders
                                                    > to operate twin breakdown saws. Australian sawmills
                                                    > used a lot of
                                                    > English portable or traction engines to supply steam
                                                    > power to mill
                                                    > engines. It was quite rare to use vertical boilers,
                                                    > which were quite
                                                    > common in the USA.
                                                    >
                                                    > Quote:
                                                    > Perfect for a spot mill but still only one cylinder
                                                    > - not big enough for
                                                    > a full mill. Classed as a semi-portable engine ...
                                                    > Peter Evans
                                                    > www.peterevans.com.au
                                                    >
                                                    > Unquote:
                                                    >

                                                    > Regards
                                                    > Rod Hutchinson
                                                    > ----------------

                                                  • Ron Goodrick
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Jan 20, 2009
                                                      Hi Daniel,
                                                      You won't want to be in a hurry for tracklaying in that case.
                                                      I have used a saw bench run by an engine this size to cut firewood (to run the engine!).
                                                      A 60 cm dia blade was belt driven from the flywheel and used to cut logs to length.
                                                      Cutting a 15cm dia log too fast will stall the engine. Mind you, we're talking seasoned Aussie hardwoods.
                                                      It's quite exciting to have a blade roaring around accompanied by the slap of the belt and the engine rocking bvack and forward with the momentum of the piston travelling back and forth.
                                                      I doubt that you could use it to break a long log down into the rough length wise dimensions of a sleepr even if it it only 10 cm x 10cm.
                                                      As nobody makes a portable engine of the size that Rod has mentioned, if you want a reasonably accurate sawmill, can I suggest one of the 1:32 traction engine kits with a belt to the saw. There were many small mills run by this method.
                                                      regards
                                                      Ron

                                                      Perfect!!! I mean: not for you but for the tiny
                                                      saw mill cutting sleepers for my 20" gauge
                                                      agricultural railway.
                                                      I will keep my eyes open next time i go to the
                                                      library to see if I can hunt something for you.
                                                      Thank you.

                                                      Daniel

                                                      --- Rod Hutchinson <r.hutchinson@ bom.gov.au> wrote:

                                                      > Daniel,
                                                      >
                                                      > Re: the photo you sent to Marc and me. I am afraid
                                                      > my historian adviser
                                                      > suggest this boiler is a little small for a full
                                                      > blown Australian
                                                      > sawmill. Australian sawmills require 16" cylinders
                                                      > or 2 x 8" cylinders
                                                      > to operate twin breakdown saws. Australian sawmills
                                                      > used a lot of
                                                      > English portable or traction engines to supply steam
                                                      > power to mill
                                                      > engines. It was quite rare to use vertical boilers,
                                                      > which were quite
                                                      > common in the USA.
                                                      >
                                                      > Quote:
                                                      > Perfect for a spot mill but still only one cylinder
                                                      > - not big enough for
                                                      > a full mill. Classed as a semi-portable engine ...
                                                      > Peter Evans
                                                      > www.peterevans. com.au
                                                      >
                                                      > Unquote:
                                                      >

                                                      > Regards
                                                      > Rod Hutchinson
                                                      > ------------ ----

                                                    • Jerry Kitts
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Jan 20, 2009
                                                        This is for Otto Schouwstra,

                                                        Otto I got the "O" rings today that fit the Ruston much better. I am
                                                        happy to report that the little Ruston is running very well now. The
                                                        equalization works very well without out the pull of the original
                                                        heavy belt. It still needs to have very clean track but other wise it
                                                        runs like a dream. I have it running up and down my On3 railroad
                                                        which I think is about to become a 1:32 railroad.

                                                        I have cast some flex ties in resin with the spike holes dimples cast
                                                        in. Before attaching the string of flex ties to the road bed, I pre-
                                                        drill the spike holes on the drill press about .002 over size. Then I
                                                        stain the resin before gluing it down. As I put the rail down I dip
                                                        the end of the spike in ACC and place the spike in place. The spike
                                                        will not let go without very heavy pressure from long nose pliers.
                                                        The spiking goes very fast this way

                                                        My model railroad is in a spare bed room with a mainline that is
                                                        about 36 feet long. Not exactly a transcontinental railroad, but it
                                                        will make a great quarry railroad that could be very much a complete
                                                        industrial railroad from factory to pit and back.

                                                        Thank you very much for your help with the O rings.

                                                        Jerry Kitts