RE: [FS32NGModelrail] 20" vs. 24"

    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 10, 2008
      Vince-here's a possible answer. It is YOUR railroad and you can do whatever you want. I began in this scale as 1:32n20 on 16.5MM gauge but as time wore on, I suddenly (duh!) came to the conclusion that I was modifying 1:35 military figures, using 1:35 and 1:32 autos & trucks, and detail parts from most all scales so I modified my scale to "roughly" 35n2 since I sort of model the Silver City, Pinos Altos, & Mogollon 2 foot line. Sure, in 1:35, the track gauge is not EXACTLY 24", but I can live with that. Besides, I am running Shays and a couple of rod locos and have you priced an On3 Shay these days...considering you will be cutting it up and changing it to a larger scale? If the minor gauge difference bothers someone, available On30 locos CAN be reguaged to On3 and then fixed up to 1:32 or whatever. This is only my opinion but I have an almost complete and operating 2 foot gauge layout that I have built instead of worrying over trivial things like exact scale. So, have fun and build something that will infuriate the punters & counters.     Woodie

      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 10, 2008
        All this gauging and regauging reminds me of the O scale controversy of the 1930's and into the 1940's. O gauge scale track measures 1.25 inch gauge. But that is 60 inches in 1/4" scale, not 56.5 inches as it should be. So a number of RR modelers decided to stay with the track gauge and the available trucks and drive wheel sets but enlarge the size of all the rest of the cars and locomotives. So they built models to 17/64 scale instead of 1/48 (16/64). In 17/64 scale the 1.25 gauge of O scale track was closer to the real gauge.
        I used to have catalogs showing parts available in both 1/4 and 17/64 scales.
        What can I say? Both groups of modelers were happy with their scales and that's the purpose of a hobby, as far as I can see it.
        Same thing with the narrow gauge you decide to use. Its your model railroad, do whatever you want. If you want to be true to the gauge and scale, do so. If it doesn't matter that much work in whatever scale is convenient for you. I'm using G gauge track. If  I want narrow gauge I'll use either  O or HO gauge tracks, whichever looks better to me. I'm already planning on mixing 1/35, 1/32, and 1/29 scales on the same track. So I certainly will not be overly worried about the narrow gauge aspects of it. As I already have a lot of HO gauge track and switches left over from the old days I'll probably use that for the narrow gauge of 60mm (~24"). In 1/32 scale HO track that will give me 20 inch narrow gauge. Yes, it is not 24 inch but that's what I have and that's fine with me. If I were living in England where OO track is common that I would use OO track and be a bit closer to the scale 60mm..
        It does not bother me.
        It's a free country. If you want very close to scale then make the sacrifices in money and effort and make your railroad closer to scale.
        Its only a hobby. Enjoy.
        Stephen

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 10, 2008
          I agree entirely that the gauge and scale is a personal choice.

          Reading some old model railway literature is fascinating. Scale is never
          mentioned, only gauge.

          I like 1/32 as this is standard gauge with 1 3/4 (45mm) track and around
          1m/3' 6" with 1 1/4 (32mm) which does make it around 21" track with HO
          track. In the UK 18" narrow gauge was quite common on industrial sites
          so it seems a good scale. Of course one can always get plenty of 1/32
          gauge figures - if you do not mind car racing fans!!!!

          Just for the record. In the UK 00 gauge track is actually the same as H0
          gauge. It is the models that are 1/76 instead of the HO 1/87. Does not
          bother most people as can be seen from the strength of Hornby and
          Bachmann 00 gauge models to run on 00/H0 track. EM and proto4 are for
          the rivet counting purists.

          As I am new to 1/32, finding it useful for the gauge 1 (45mm) and gauge
          0 (32mm) track I have. I also have some H0 (16.5mm) and am thinking what
          I can do with it. Even TT 12mm track comes out at 15" in 1/32 and there
          are few railways around at that gauge, Romney Hythe and Dymchurch for
          instance.

          Actually from a modelling point of view I think the Russians have it
          best. 5' gauge railways, 60", and much better starting point for
          reasonable scales than 56 1/2". At 1/32 5' is 1 7/8".
        • Stephen Auslender
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 10, 2008
            Something else to consider.
            You can have a Z gauge set running in a G gauge layout as someone's garden scale model railroad. I like the idea of a model train within a model train layout.
            Stephen

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 11, 2008

              I agree whole heartedly with the idea of it being your railroad.  I have always thought that was a given.  I have an 7mm On16.5 layout as well as a 3/8n2 layout.  My decision to do a 19mm track gauge comes purely from the evolution  of one layout.  The baseboards started life as an O standard gauge layout set in West Virginia which were very kindly given to me.  Really well developed scenery but the grades were very steep.  I re-laid the track using code 100 to 19mm gauge and did an On3 layout using widened Bachmann geared engines and Porters.  After some time I got the urge to do 1/32 scale and since I had always been a military modeler I had lots of stuff in that scale.  So equipment was duly built and here we are today modeling a post WW2 sand extraction plant.

              Vincent Bradley,

              Cincinnati, Ohio