Re: Crowsnest Tramway (West)

  • Mike South
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2008
      Hi Eric,

      I'm afraid that the seaside photo with the Ruston & Hornsby 4wD...

      http://tinyurl.com/5yzpx8

      ... is a product of my fooling around in Adobe 'PhotoShop'. The
      locomotive model is real enough, a beautiful 1/32 scale x 3/4" gauge
      kit from Bridge Models that is about to be re-issued with an upgraded
      mechanism by Slater's Plastikard....

      http://www.slatersplastikard.com/Gauge%201%20Products/Slaters%20%20Scale%20Narrow%20Gauge.htm

      The wall in the foreground comes Carnarvon (old English spelling) and
      the background is from Aberystwith - can't remember where I culled the
      seagulls from I'm afraid, but they are all from old family holiday
      snapshots. The track is 'On3' (= 3/4" gauge) flextrack, Code 83
      #4981 by Precision Scale Co., of Victor, Montana, currently retailing
      in Canada at CAD$35-50 for 4 x I yard lengths (both the USA and I
      resolutely refusing to go metric!).

      http://www.precisionscaleco.com/

      .... Click on 'Misc.' then 'Track' then 'On3'.

      The other photo of the Ruston 4wD...

      http://tinyurl.com/3zh99y

      .... also features a 'PhotoShopped' background from my parents' back
      garden. Discerning/aged readers may recognise it from the front cover
      of the Second Edition of the late Don Boreham's classic book, 'Narrow
      Gauge Railway Modelling' (OOP).

      The driver of the loco is also a real model, custom sculpted from all
      manner of 1/32 and 1/35 scale military figure 'bits' (a real
      Frankenstein job!) by my good friend and neighbour Tom Sime, a top
      North American military modeller. We are currently working together on
      a couple of 1/32 scale WW1 themed trench tramway dioramas for our
      local military museum here in Calgary....

      http://www.themilitarymuseums.com/main/page.php?page_id=1

      Hope some of this helps. Please write to Slaters if you would like a
      Ruston & Hornsby kit, as they are currently in a 'chicken or the egg'
      type of situation regarding the reissue of this item - everything is
      ready to go, yet they lack firm orders to actually justify
      manufacturing a batch. Then again, would-be customers seem to be
      holding back on placing firm orders until the model is actually
      available... :-)

      Cheers,

      Mike South
      Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    • Eric Williams
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 5, 2008
        Mike, that settles that one!  I thought you were just a superb modeller of seabirds

        #4981 by Precision Scale Co., of Victor, Montana, currently retailing
[...]

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)