Re: [FS32NGModelrail] R/C for Havengore

  • Martin Field
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 16, 2008
      Bernard, thanks for the clarification.  I intend a very low ratio for good crawling. possibly with belt drive, so it should pull the weight.  My stock, being wooden mainly, is quite light.
      Thanks again. I may be (will be!) back with queries, I'm sure.
      Martin

      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 17, 2008
        No problems Martin, happy to help out anyone looking to do something
        along these lines. Another thought I just had is that the steering
        accutators can be used quite easily for remote uncoupling anywhere on
        the layout.

        This is the most adventurous thing I've build around micro car
        electronics, a 1/35th Tamiya side car, never did get it working very
        well, but myself and the hobby have progressed a bit in the two or three
        years since:

        http://members.iinet.com.au/~bertrand/in32/failures.html

        Really want to build a Kettenkrad but need to summon up the courage to
        make up brass track links.

        Bertrand

        Martin Field wrote:

        > Bernard, thanks for the clarification. I intend a very low ratio for
        > good crawling. possibly with belt drive, so it should pull the
        > weight. My stock, being wooden mainly, is quite light.
        > Thanks again. I may be (will be!) back with queries, I'm sure.
        > Martin

      • Martin Field
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 18, 2008
          Bernard, that's fantastic, because, believe it or not I have two sidecars on the layout. They are the "passenger coach".  Nose to nose.  If the R/C will fit one of those, it'll fit the loco too.  What a pity the batteries have to be those round barrels. If they were flat it would be so much easier to fit them in under the frame.  But that picture is the first time I've seen micro R/C undressed, so to speak.  I know, I'm working arse about face, but that's normal for me. In at the deep end, sink or swim.
          Cheers, Martin

          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 18, 2008
            Martin-you may be able to find some tiny LI-POLY(lithium polymer) rechargable batteries that will fit your application. These are flat, 1 cell is 3.7 volts no matter the size.  They also carry more available amperage output and last a lot longer than the barrel or cylindrical types. To use these, you would need the correct charger with a very slow charge rate but the battery supplier could supply that also. The Li-Poly batteries can be recharged over 1,000 times and have no "memory" like other types. One toy that has them is the little AIR HOG helicopter. If you are not concerned about no reverse function, the receiver in the copter could be used along with the very small motor and the transmitter acts as a charger also...this might be something to look for.
                    Woodie

              Martin Field wrote:

              > Bernard, thanks for the clarification. I intend a very low ratio for
              > good crawling. possibly with belt drive, so it should pull the
              > weight. My stock, being wooden mainly, is quite light.
              > Thanks again. I may be (will be!) back with queries, I'm sure.
              > Martin

            • Martin Field
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 19, 2008
                Hi Woodie, thanks for that.  That's certainly cheap, but no reverse would be a problem for a loco. Maybe one of the other functions could be persuaded to do that?
                Looks like I must start petitioning for an early Christmas present!
                Cheers, Martin