Re: [FS32NGModelrail] R/C for Havengore

  • Bertrand
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 16, 2008
      Martin, perhaps I was being a bit pessimistic, it might not be that hard.

      The idea of the transistor stack is to split current between multiple
      transistors in parallel, basically double the transistors means double
      the current flow. You can get extra transistors from multiple cars, or
      use a larger transistor mounted externally. Whether you need to do this
      will depend basically on the models weight and what you expect it to
      pull. It's just that our locomotives are usually quite heavy and then we
      ballast our wagons, so you might find it difficult to suddenly have to
      build light like us aeromodelers have to. I can run some tests for you
      but anything more that a combined train weight of 70grams (my HO
      Bachmann 0-4-0 w/DCC weighs around 80) will more than likely struggle
      (this is with standard gearing which is about 8:1 - and no transistor
      stack). If you buy a few cars and use the gears to get a ratio around
      20:1 you should get a more useful total weight limit of around 200 grams.

      The fact that these little boards flow limited current should actually
      give you a nice soft start.

      Martin Field wrote:

      > Bertrand, thanks for that. Whilst being a dab hand with a soldering
      > iron, I know nothing of electronics. Are you saying that the
      > transistor stack (??!) is if I use a different motor? I was hoping to
      > use everything from the toy.
      > I feel a bit of a fraud because I haven't the slightestidea what in
      > one! never seen one before, but then that's never stopped me before!
      > It has to be Micro R/C because I don't want wires, but I do want
      > terrible track.
      > Since the old Listers were pretty much one speed jerk starters, I
      > don't think proportional speed control matters. I just want stop/go in
      > forward and reverse. The trains will rarely move anyway. They're
      > just an excuse for scenery!

    • Martin Field
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 16, 2008
        Bernard, thanks for the clarification.  I intend a very low ratio for good crawling. possibly with belt drive, so it should pull the weight.  My stock, being wooden mainly, is quite light.
        Thanks again. I may be (will be!) back with queries, I'm sure.
        Martin

        Martin Field wrote:

        > Bertrand, thanks for that. Whilst being a dab hand with a soldering
        > iron, I know nothing of electronics. Are you saying that the
        > transistor stack (??!) is if I use a different motor? I was hoping to
        > use everything from the toy.
        > I feel a bit of a fraud because I haven't the slightestidea what in
        > one! never seen one before, but then that's never stopped me before!
        > It has to be Micro R/C because I don't want wires, but I do want
        > terrible track.
        > Since the old Listers were pretty much one speed jerk starters, I
        > don't think proportional speed control matters. I just want stop/go in
        > forward and reverse. The trains will rarely move anyway. They're
        > just an excuse for scenery!

      • Bertrand
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 17, 2008
          No problems Martin, happy to help out anyone looking to do something
          along these lines. Another thought I just had is that the steering
          accutators can be used quite easily for remote uncoupling anywhere on
          the layout.

          This is the most adventurous thing I've build around micro car
          electronics, a 1/35th Tamiya side car, never did get it working very
          well, but myself and the hobby have progressed a bit in the two or three
          years since:

          http://members.iinet.com.au/~bertrand/in32/failures.html

          Really want to build a Kettenkrad but need to summon up the courage to
          make up brass track links.

          Bertrand

          Martin Field wrote:

          > Bernard, thanks for the clarification. I intend a very low ratio for
          > good crawling. possibly with belt drive, so it should pull the
          > weight. My stock, being wooden mainly, is quite light.
          > Thanks again. I may be (will be!) back with queries, I'm sure.
          > Martin

        • Martin Field
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 18, 2008
            Bernard, that's fantastic, because, believe it or not I have two sidecars on the layout. They are the "passenger coach".  Nose to nose.  If the R/C will fit one of those, it'll fit the loco too.  What a pity the batteries have to be those round barrels. If they were flat it would be so much easier to fit them in under the frame.  But that picture is the first time I've seen micro R/C undressed, so to speak.  I know, I'm working arse about face, but that's normal for me. In at the deep end, sink or swim.
            Cheers, Martin

            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 18, 2008
              Martin-you may be able to find some tiny LI-POLY(lithium polymer) rechargable batteries that will fit your application. These are flat, 1 cell is 3.7 volts no matter the size.  They also carry more available amperage output and last a lot longer than the barrel or cylindrical types. To use these, you would need the correct charger with a very slow charge rate but the battery supplier could supply that also. The Li-Poly batteries can be recharged over 1,000 times and have no "memory" like other types. One toy that has them is the little AIR HOG helicopter. If you are not concerned about no reverse function, the receiver in the copter could be used along with the very small motor and the transmitter acts as a charger also...this might be something to look for.
                      Woodie

                Martin Field wrote:

                > Bernard, thanks for the clarification. I intend a very low ratio for
                > good crawling. possibly with belt drive, so it should pull the
                > weight. My stock, being wooden mainly, is quite light.
                > Thanks again. I may be (will be!) back with queries, I'm sure.
                > Martin

              • Martin Field
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 19, 2008
                  Hi Woodie, thanks for that.  That's certainly cheap, but no reverse would be a problem for a loco. Maybe one of the other functions could be persuaded to do that?
                  Looks like I must start petitioning for an early Christmas present!
                  Cheers, Martin