French Modelling Menu

  • Claus Nielsen
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 3, 2008
      Even while the Danish summer have been blessing us Danes with nice
      warm weather and no skies, I have managed to do a little modelling.

      After finishing a 1:35 Scammel recovery lorry
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/nystrup_grus/2623475423/in/set-
      72157600638054721/(I know it isn't exactly narrow gauge!)I have
      turned the attention to my 1:35 French Campagne-loco. I have fitted
      the fuel tank and is currently working on the rear wall at the
      driver's position. In between I have been doing some surgery to the
      three figures to be fitted on the loco. You can see my latest
      progress on
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/nystrup_grus/sets/72157600638413896/

      I'm also beginning to plan the build of my two 1:35 Billard T75s.
      They are intended for service on Nystrup Gravel as locos bought from
      the dumps the Germans left behind when their occupation of Denmark
      ended in 1945. No Billards have ever seen service in Denmark, but as
      the Germans brought locos to Denmark from Czechoslovakia, Belgium and
      Austria I added some modeller's license to the truth and thought up
      this story of Maginot-line locos ending up on my imaginary gravel-
      line.

      Consequently my modelling menu for the next many months (I'm a slow
      worker) will be exclusively French. Who could ask for more?

      Hope you are all enjoying yourselves modelling - disregarding the
      weather!

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 3, 2008
        Claus:
                 You are doing fantastic work I can't avoid looking at aal the pictures every time I see your link, There are lots of very nice pieces but the 0-4-0 steamer has got my heart already a long time ago. Do you have some drawings for the Magic Train conversion? It look really fantastic. I have a couple of magic Train steamers waiting for the knife and for the RCC instalation.

              With regards

                                  Daniel

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 3, 2008
          Nice Claus,

          looking forward to follow the campagne loco project.

          /Henrik

          On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 16:08 +0000, Claus Nielsen wrote:
          > Even while the Danish summer have been blessing us Danes with nice
          > warm weather and no skies, I have managed to do a little modelling.
          >
          > After finishing a 1:35 Scammel recovery lorry
          > http://www.flickr.com/photos/nystrup_grus/2623475423/in/set-
          > 72157600638054721/(I know it isn't exactly narrow gauge!)I have
          > turned the attention to my 1:35 French Campagne-loco. I have fitted
          > the fuel tank and is currently working on the rear wall at the
          > driver's position. In between I have been doing some surgery to the
          > three figures to be fitted on the loco. You can see my latest
          > progress on
          > http://www.flickr.com/photos/nystrup_grus/sets/72157600638413896/
          >
          > I'm also beginning to plan the build of my two 1:35 Billard T75s.
          > They are intended for service on Nystrup Gravel as locos bought from
          > the dumps the Germans left behind when their occupation of Denmark
          > ended in 1945. No Billards have ever seen service in Denmark, but as
          > the Germans brought locos to Denmark from Czechoslovakia, Belgium and
          > Austria I added some modeller's license to the truth and thought up
          > this story of Maginot-line locos ending up on my imaginary gravel-
          > line.
          >
          > Consequently my modelling menu for the next many months (I'm a slow
          > worker) will be exclusively French. Who could ask for more?
          >
          > Hope you are all enjoying yourselves modelling - disregarding the
          > weather!
          >
          > Claus

        • Claus Nielsen
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 4, 2008
            Hi Daniel
            Thanks a lot for your kind words.

            The rebuilt Magic Train steam loco was done some years ago - my
            second serious attempt at a 1:35 loco, actually. Most of the info for
            the project came from published drawings and photos. I had some help
            from an article in a Swedish modelling magazine that contained a
            template for a cab. The idea was that you could test a 1:32 rebuild
            on a Magic Train loco in no time by copying and cutting the template.
            No need for cutting in the 1:45 model. I remade the template for my
            own loco to fit my 1:35 scale and used it for drawing out
            measurements on plastic card.

            The rebuild can be done by simply putting the cab on an unchanged
            Magic Train steamer - an operation that could probably be done in an
            evening or two. I rebuilt the rear of the loco quite substantially,
            lengthening the rear frames, moving the cab rearwards. I actually
            wrote a small article on the project, but removed it from the files
            section some time ago. Might re-upload it again? In the files section
            you can actually still find the cab template - just print, check for
            size and cut!

            20modelling%20projects/

            I hope you are progressing with your interesting factory layout and
            laser cut wagons. I cannot wait to see more!

          • paul
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 4, 2008
              The Scammell recovery is outstanding. The New Zealand Railways Dept had
              three ex NZ Army Scammell Artillery tractors painted red they used as
              recovery vehicles for the large fleet of trucks and buses the NZR operated.
              At least one of the Scammell's lasted with NZR until the mid-1970s.

              Paul Napier

              French Modelling Menu
              Posted by: "Claus Nielsen" clausoggitte@... gaz410

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 4, 2008
                Gidday Claus

                Great to see the progress on the Campagne. It's going to be a great
                model when it's finished. You're getting quite an impressive fleet now.

                Kevin Crosado
                De Selby Research
              • db1047
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 5, 2008
                  Hi Claus, Here in New Zealand we had a few similar locos (or lokies)
                  built locally from Ford Model T's. I'll try and find some pics and
                  post them.

                  Darryl

                  --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, "Claus Nielsen"