TURNTABLE DRAWINGS

  • Daniel Osvaldo Caso
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2008
      Hi all:
      Under the name "PORTABLE TRACK TURNTABLE" I've just created a
      new album with sketchup drawings showing the building method of the
      turntables. It is -that old improvisation spirit of real narrow gauge-
      a very crude mechanism and hand operated. For sure one can make it in
      a motorized version and even with an indexing mechanism.
      In the drawings I forgot to add the shim discs but someone
      building such a thing will notice where they are needed.
      The blocks holding the shaft with the hand wheel are just
      pieces of hardwood. One can make it more sophisticated adding some
      bushing. In my case they work good enough without
      In the drawing you will see a wooden spacer keeping the gear at
      the right distance from the underside of the baseboard.
      Don't even dream with positioning the adjacent tracks before
      the turntable is already installed in its place. Believe me.I know
      what I am saying.
      If you prefer, this kind of turntables were also built with a
      single track instead of a crossing.
      I used Roco's crossings but Atlas ones have at the underside,
      instead of the square recess, a round one. Probably this will make
      easier to find the geometrical centre.
      Of course every single thing can be done in a much better and/or
      expensive way. Counting on that, this was the poor man's
      "alternative" one.And it works.

      I hope you'll enjoy it.